Finally got to relic a tele

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Daddy Hojo, May 6, 2011.

1. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I finally got the chance to relic a tele. One of my wife's co-workers had a tele that they had started to relic some forearm wear but felt it looked too planned and gave up on it. I told him I'd be willing to try it and he actually let me. Of course, I wouldn't let him watch me as it would make us both too nervous to do the necessary "finish."

As I was working on it, i started to realize that this was most likely a poly finish which took a while to get where I wanted it.

I didn't disassemble it because I wasn't too keen on taking it all apart. If it were mine, I would have... I just didn't want to give it back beat up and risk the chance of it not working properly. I just did all of the work withnthe strings and everything (but the knobs) still intact.

I think it came out all right for a poly relic.

Pics in the next post.

2. Daddy Hojo

The first pic on the checkerboard floor is how it looked when I got it. The other two show my work.

I didn't go too far with it because you can't un-relic a guitar.

Attached Files:

3. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Looks good

4. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I'm sure lots of us would be interested in the techniques you used, as relicing poly is tricky to say the least.

5. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Nice job....lets see the back!

6. Daddy Hojo

Aww man.... I gave it back already.

7. Daddy Hojo

In trying to get results, I attempted so many things that it's hard to tell what worked.

For paint wear: I tried green scrubby pads, 800 grit sandpaper, burlap, small amounts of non-acetone nail polish remover, small amounts of paint thinner, naphtha, and good old fashioned hand friction. Finished off with some turtle wax buffing compound.

If I could get the paint down to showing wood, I would use the non-acetone nail polish remover to get it to submit a bit further. If you give it too much friction with the remover, it can start to get black smudges that are hard to get out, so only use a little and keep rubbing it in circles- you have to keep it moving because letting it stand for a while can cause the paint to have unnatural looking small blisters.

For dents and dings, I used all sorts of things, but the best to use is a handful of car keys. Files and rasps were handy on wearing the edges down.

The one thing I did a little differently was to rub small amounts of brown acrylic paint into the surface. If the paint was surface worn, it would allow the paint to absorb it and give it a nice aged, yellowed look. I would assume you'd want to use different tints of brown for different body colors (ie reddish brown for red guitars, etc). This worked really well on the pickguard- yellowed it up pretty well.

There were just so many things I did that I hesitate to list them all because some worked, some didn't, and some were accidents waiting to happen.

8. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

If the poly finish on that tele is as thick as on a Squier I have it would take a century of wear to come by it honestly. Pretty good job though.

9. Daddy Hojo

It was a USA tele with a slightly transparent color. It wasn't nearly as thick as some poky finishes out there.

10. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

So did the owner like your relic job? Looks good to me.

11. Daddy Hojo

Yeah. He loved it. I was nervous giving it back though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.