Finally got to play a 52 ri as well as a custom shop tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BassettsAllSort, Oct 2, 2014.

1. BassettsAllSort

BassettsAllSort TDPRI Member

Hi Guys

I had some work in London on Tuesday which conveniently left me near Denmark Street so I popped into Regent Sounds and played one of the pure vintage 52 ri telecasters and I loved it!

I own an american deluxe telecaster with Bareknuckle pickups (Broadcaster bridge and 52 style neck) which sounds fantastic and is a joy to play.

I actually found the vintage radius and frets fine to play - if anything it made bending to a note easier for me - my compound radius neck on the deluxe is so easy to bend strings on that you can sometimes get a bit over enthusiastic! But with the 52 it was spot on.

I LOVED the bridge pickup but the neck pickup didn't blow me away. It was good but not as nice as my bareknuckle equivalent (Just my opinion of course :p). I played through a deluxe reverb reissue and the tones were pure fender telecaster heaven. I didn't want to give it back but funds are lacking at the moment and a divorce might result after another impulse purchase. The deal price wasn't enough to sway me either.

As I was leaving I saw a custom shop 51 NOS nocaster so I thought I would have a try on that. Unfortunately it didn't have the vintage radius or nocaster pickups (Twisted tele set). However, it was lighter, more ballsy, well built and fantastic to play. I have to admit that the twisted tele neck sounded great but its just not what I would want from a custom shop 51 nocaster. Original spec all the way for me. The neck was also stickier than the 52.

So out of the two, pickups aside, there was not too much in it but if I had to chose I think that the 52ri would win it on that occasion.

I now have to start saving some money and offloading some gear to get me one!!!

Just my opinion of course! Have a good day guys.

Tom

2. euro

euro Tele-Holic

The neck on the Nocaster might have been sticky due to it not being played much, or possibly leaving the factory before it was full cured, or, if it was a used one, the person who owned it did not wipe down the neck. It could be any number of reasons. The Nocaster necks are usually 9.5 or10" radius, not 7 1/4" as the '52 RI.

I like a gloss neck as much as a satin finished neck. On either one, I spray some Pledge onto a Fender polishing clother, wipe down the neck and strings, then wipe them dry.

In a very short period of time the sticky feeling goes away on a gloss finished neck and it becomes extremely fast feeling, just as a satin neck does after using the Pledge on it.

One thing I make sure is to wash my hands prior to wiping the necks down, so I don't deposit dirt or some other foreign substance onto the neck while I'm cleaning it off.

I've done this all of my guitar-playing life, as this is the way I was taught. Now, I don't even think about it.

3. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

Be careful with Pledge. They changed the formula a few years back, and it now contains silicone.

I know Roy Buchanan used it, and Billy Zoom used to use it too, but that was the old formula, when it was just wax and solvents.

4. euro

euro Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tip. I've been usung it for a long time already.. Any silicone mixing into the wood has done so long ago.

5. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you had a great day - got to play two extra fine teles.

Travelling sure is fun.

6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I have not played a custom shop tele I would actually buy. Not one. For what they provide in customization they lack in playability and tonal inspiration. That's a personal opinion only. I have a 2011 Anniversary Standard Tele that has not been rivaled by any of the custom shops I have played.

Are they beautiful? Yes. Do they have exotic woods? Yes. Do they play or sound better? I have not found one that does. I should add, I live in CA, there are Custom models in many stores here. So yes, I have tried quite a few. Say over 20.

Just my experience.

7. jonny munksville

jonny munksville Tele-Meister

I love Regent Sounds. Some of the staff are fantastic players - there's a guy with long hair who's one heck of a modern country fusion type player! Perhaps someone here knows who he is? Ive never played a CS but Cant imagine the difference between AV and CS is that apparent. If you're ever over Oxford way you're welcome to try my AV64.

8. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I was in there the other day and played the Nocaster - great guitar, but I'd go for the 52 too.

Nothing like window shopping in Denmark Street!

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Try a Custom Shop '50s Fat Telecaster Thinline if you get an opportunity. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will!

10. BassettsAllSort

Yeah regent sounds is amazing. I bought my deluxe from there and the staff are really friendly. I don't know him unfortunately. I really love the 52 and I can't stop thinking about it. Thanks for the offer of trying the 64 I have read some really good stuff on here about those!! I might take you up on that one!!! Tom

11. BassettsAllSort

I'll have to look out for one of those thank you for the tip! I love all teles!!

12. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Denmark Street has gone downhill in recent years. Rockers has closed, Chris Bryant's don't sell Fender anymore, Rose Morris stopped selling electrics, Turnkey Music (Soho Soundhouse) shut down. Everytime I head up to the smoke, I come back disappointed. Most gear is way overpriced and heavy. That used to be such a great place to be about 20 years ago. Not anymore.

Thanks,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.