Finally got the LP up and limping

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Jun 30, 2019.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

ive got a ‘74 LP Special (Gibson’s first reissue) that I’ve had for a while. Bought off a slide player and have tryouts to return it to a “real” guitar. It’s a playroom not a collectible by any means. Repaired headstock, scratches, goughes, etc
    Got the pots & switch to stop scratching. Got the action nice and low, intonation ok, & most of the crud gone.
    It came with some version of hot rails buckers & the wrap around bridge - both of which I hate!
    I’ll probably get Wolftone Mean & Meaners (P90) and definitely get a “real” bridge

Played it Thursday at the open/mic jam and was more than happy with tone, playability, & general feel.
    Will play it today at the jam at Nauti Bar today

Sorry, no pix but I no longer have a hosting service

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

3. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Upper left hand corner is my 1974 Gibson '55 LP Special RI. I'd replaced the original non-compensated wrap tail bridge with a Leo Quan (sp?) BadAss bridge. Also, had put Grovers on it to replace the stock Klusons.
    Sadly, none of these guitars are still mine. :(

String Tree and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

You don't need a hosting service, you can upload them right to your post.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 1974 reissue of a '55 LP Special. Is that what you are talking about?

It is a VERY nice instrument.

6. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

It’s a 74/55 RI
    Kinda like Tele-Holic’s but not as clean
    I’ll try again later to upload a pic. My first attempt failed

Well maybe it didn’t after all

Attached Files:

studio1087, jvin248 and Bones like this.
  7. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Once the pic is uploaded, you will see options next to it "thumbnail" and "Full image". If you click the full size image option the pic will appear "full size".

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Cool guitar! I had a cheap one about ten years ago. Went through a lotta guitars and amps.

9. jhundt

here's my 74-55. I bought it new at Leo's in Oakland CA. It's all original except that I ordered a set of split-shaft Klusons (not an easy thing to do, back in the pre-internet 70's!) and rewired a little to remove two knobs. 4 is 2 too many for a Telecaster player.
    [​IMG]

jannodude and nojazzhere like this.
  10. jhundt

Klusons. I had to go to the Oakland Main Library and dig through a big reference copy of Manufacturing Companies to find a long-distance telephone number. I called the Kluson company on the phone and explained what I was looking for. The telephone girl passed me on to someone who passed me on to someone who passed me on to a production manager. He said "you want what? we don't normally make a set like that, but I'll see if I can get one made up for you." And he did! It arrived in the US Parcel Post about 8 weeks later. I don't recall that he even ever charged me for them.

Of course, you may wonder why I bothered with split shaft Klusons and then strung it up like this. Well I just got the guitar back after loaning it to a friend - one of those Gibson guys who doesn't know how to use a split-shaft tuner!
    [​IMG]

11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Played it last night. I’m really digging it but those pups have got to go. Way too hot!

nojazzhere, jhundt and Bones like this.
  12. jhundt

you might consider replacing that crazy bridge with a simple stop-bar wrap-around like the one you see on my guitar. Much simpler and cleaner - and way better-looking!. Mine intonates just fine (for my purposes). They are also available with little 'compensated ridges' to match the most common bridge-saddle placement.

Paul G. likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Have you tried lowering the pickups? That might help the "hotness". BTW, I like the guitar, and I like the Leo Quan bridge. I put one on my 1960 LP Jr back in early seventies.....makes a HUGE difference in intonation.

14. jhundt

ha ha! we have a difference in opinion here, but that's OK. The funny thing is that I bought mine (with the standard wrap stop-bar) from Leo's Nusic, which is Leo Quan who built that crazy tune-o-matic thing.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

You should turn that into a poster! Awesome photos of an awesome collection.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Back when I replaced my original, there were VERY few options available.....but the plain stop-bar style just wasn't cutting it. That's when I went with the "Badass". I admit my PRS SE One, with its different position for two groups of three strings bridge plays pretty well in tune. What is it you don't like about the Leo Quan?

17. jhundt

it is just huge and weird-looking! And it is based on the tune-o-matic design, which I have always found to be far too complex and buzzy. A few years ago, I wanted to try a Gretsch. A friend loaned me a 5125 Electromatic. It was fitted with a tune-o-matic bridge, and it buzzed every which way. Put me off the whole Gretsch idea. I ended up buying a 5129 with a more traditional bridge design.; even then I replaced the bridge saddle with a simple Compton saddle. I guess I just seek simplicity.

And, perhaps more important: I find that my most-basic wrap-around tailpiece/bridge intonates just fine for me and my way of playing. I have never once in over 40 years felt or heard anything that would make me try a different bridge.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

If possible I want return it to P90s.
    I don’t care for a wraparound bridge but the more I’m looking into this the more I realize I may have no choice
    Excuse my ignorance (and no googling) but how do you intonate a stop-bar bridge
    Any idea what bridge this is?

19. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

What about the sweet Honda?

CP.

20. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Sadly, that "classic" 1977 Honda Civic Wagon is no longer mine either. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.