Finally got my Squire, not happy!!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by mrloshaw, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Powwerzombie

Powwerzombie Tele-Meister

Thomann won't ship Fender to the U.S., I tried. They had the best prices on Fender and Squier by a LOT.

2. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

Many times you get what you pay for. I’ve ordered 10-12 things thru SW and all good but no guitars. I have sent them emails and a couple of phone inquiries about certain guitars and I honestly wasn’t impressed at all, felt like I was talking to someone who was there to say whatever they felt was needed to say to make a sell.

3. AntigonesAncestor

AntigonesAncestor TDPRI Member

I hear you on the neck scratches but I'll be honest, I bought one of these the other day knowing well ahead of time that it was going to need a new nut. Graphtec Tusq nuts aren't expensive and the difference in quality you'll get form installing one would cost you an extra $200 from Squier/Fender. Squier makes good guitars that with minimal modification become great guitars, that's just how it is.

4. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

So much for their 55 point inspection. I like Sweetwater even though they let me down much worse than you. Squier Standard Tele with a real big stain in the front, second one had fret and neck issues. Must say their customer service was on point with refunds both times. I continue to purchase from them with no further issues.

5. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

Its too bad that you got what you got. But nothing is good as it use to be. Its made too fast and the materials are not the same.I don't think you can get bone no more. And if you can it is certainly expensive.

6. allthumbs2

allthumbs2 TDPRI Member

#firstwordproblems

Maybe just learn to play like Jack Pearson (who uses the lowliest of Squiers and who would actually be a pretty decent player, if’n he would just practice a little ;-) ) and not worry about it

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't understand the vast majority of these comments. The guy ordered item A, he got item B. Price point doesn't matter - the correct thing should be delivered. How is this such a divisive issue?

CajunJ, gip111, gaddis and 1 other person like this.
  8. hardysibling

hardysibling TDPRI Member

I feel the frustration, but anytime one orders via internet, there's decent risk of a less than desirable delivery, especially on mid/lower end of the market. I'd encourage a lowering of expectations on the delivery, and keep the handling of the return as how you judge the seller. Squier is always gonna be a mixed bag, as well as Fender for that matter - they are mass produced guitars, after all. But if all you end up losing is a little time in pursuit of a solid guitar that works for you, you are doing ok! Sweetwater offer free shipping and easy returns. That's a completely acceptable business model for me as a consumer.

I will give bonus points to how Sweetwater handles their acoustics, tho (or used to, at least) - with much more detail than their electrics, even allowing one to purchase a specific guitar, complete w detail shots of the individual guitar's details, woodgrain, etc - even at the ~$400 pricepoint. It would be too dreamy if they expanded that level of service to their electrics!

9. Tark1

Tark1 TDPRI Member

I can see why you are not happy but I think this is a question of what individual buyers might expect from a relatively low cost guitar.
    Very few Fender guitars are fitted with a bone nut these days (maybe Custom Shop). Fender do ship chrome plated brass saddles. They also ship chrome plated steel and unfortunately chrome plated die cast zinc alloy. A magnet will tell you if the saddles are steel. Die cast Zinc saddles always have moulding marks - two dimples on the underside and a faint line running around the length of the saddle.
    If the body of the saddle is not magnetic and there are no mould marks the saddles are probably chrome plated brass. The scratches along the edge of the fret board could be fixed quite easily. The black gap at the end of the stripe is where the walnut stripe has not been fitted properly and the resultant gap has been plugged with filler - not great, but not unusual on low cost guitars. Streaks in the wood are also not unusual on low cost guitars. The lack of difference between neck and middle is likely a simple wiring problem. The high E dropping off the board is probably because the neck has shifted in the pocket. Grabbing the headstock. pulling it up, and tightening the neck screws would likely fix it.
    The general quality of electric guitars these days is very high but I would still expect to find some flaws on any guitar below the $1,000 price point and to have to do some work to make it as good as it could be.

hardysibling likes this.
  10. dbamps

dbamps TDPRI Member

I buy bone nuts for under $3. Cow bone, buffalo bone...Not rare or expensive. No shortage of cows in the world.

5ofeight and Treehouse like this.
  11. h2lifesaver

h2lifesaver NEW MEMBER!

I can totally understand your frustration, AND if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Squire models are Fender’s basest of base models...not likely to come as advertised without luthier mods, so if you get what was advertised then you are either going to get a highly modded Squire (meaning they fix up a Squire to match the specs) or you will get a much better guitar than you paid for which may be a great deal. In either case, their mistake will be your gain. What a headache

12. Bikerbw

Bikerbw TDPRI Member

I don't know what your budget is, but I would find a used American Stratocaster in playable condition and go on from there. You have to be honest with yourself: will you be satisfied with this guitar for the time being and maybe get a better model down the line, or are you going to try to spend money to try to make this one "just as good as the American ones"? I have learned that I am the second type, and have ended up spending money to try to upgrade a cheap guitar only to end up with a (still) cheap guitar that had a lot of expensive upgrades that I'd never get my money back on. And it never was as good as what I really wanted. Trust me, you'll save money in the long run if you buy a quality piece now, and if you find you're not interested in playing any more, you can sell it for a respectable amount.

13. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have two Squier CV teles (a bsb and a WB) that are 9-10 years old and I have loved them much. Changed the saddles on both, had a nut issue on one after a few years, changed the p'ups on the bsb, all routine to me. Sounds like QC might be slipping. Best of luck on the endeavor, CVS used to be good guitars.

14. Tjeppen

Tjeppen TDPRI Member

It's not so much about being picky, but if you buy a guitar, no matter how cheap, you can expect tha the neck is aligned and centered. Cosmetic flaws and quality of the parts are discusable but imho the guitar should at least be straight.

15. Terrytown

Terrytown TDPRI Member

Just like Kieth Richards Barroom Queen. Looks good until the next morning. Just fix it play it send back or upgrade it. Squires will never be a long time keeper.

16. billstyler

billstyler TDPRI Member

Sweetwater has been reliable and trustworthy in the past. Makes me wonder what's up on their end. I doubt that they can afford bad press with so many competitors.

Gary135r likes this.
  17. clayton58

clayton58 TDPRI Member

If I can. I try hard to go to the store and play and look over what I’m buying.
    I ordered an American Series Tele in 2003. Had some issues, but I just lived with it. I no longer have it. Traded it.

18. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

That's what I thought. My Affinity came stragiht from Fender, by way of Amazon and it was in great shape. If I got that I would think the store you bought it from was trying to pass off a used or second. Did it still have it's QC sticker?

19. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Mine Will ! its the US custom shop and american standard that were not ;)

20. GregWessel

GregWessel NEW MEMBER!

Let me sum up for those of you who don't have time to read all the posts before commenting.

OP purchased Squier Classic Vibe Tele from Sweetwater and what he received was not what he ordered.

It turned out Sweetwater cannot ship Fender guitars to Canada (where the OP resides.)

Sweetwater would have to have the guitar dropshipped directly from Fender to OP.

Sweetwater couldn't give the guitar it's proper inspection since the guitar would have to be dropshipped.

Sweetwater honored their return policy and sent a courier to pick up the guitar Fender screwed up.

Sweetwater somehow will be shipping a guitar from their stock to replace guitar Fender screwed up.

We anxiously await OP update to see how Sweetwater's customer service performed.

Sweetwater sells a lot of Fenders, and I believe they have the pull with Fender to make sure to do right by their customer, at any pricepoint.

willie, clayton58 and corliss1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.