Finally got my Squire, not happy!!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by mrloshaw, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer TDPRI Member

I'm another one of those Sweetwater fans. For a few dollars more, you never have to deal with a guitar that isn't to spec. When you get it you then even have the option to return because you just don't like it. It is a big deal to have a person with a basic understanding of the product at least look it over. Ordering from GC/Sam Ash/AMS etc has been an almost 50/50 proposition over the years. Them aint good odds BTW.

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You failed to adhere to one basic principle of online shopping, Grasshopper:

Caveat emptor

5ofeight and Treehouse like this.
  3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

4. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

I
    Ordered it through a music store, a huge music store, but fender shipped straight to me, this is why I ordered through a store and not direct so this wouldn't happen, but it did. Next time hopefully there won't be a pandemic and I can go in to the store and hold it before purchasing. Id never do this before covid-19.

5ofeight likes this.
  5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Unfortunately, with many Squier guitar models, it's nearly impossible to PLAY before you PAY. Glad we have such liberal return policies here in the USA...

6. FenderGuy53

Point taken, mrlowshaw. We ARE in trying times; that said, a note for future reference, sir: Bigger isn't always better.

Case in point: When buying new, I trust retailers like Sweetwater. You actually see what you get, before pulling the trigger, and they post actual weights, if that's important to you. Plus, their customer service is excellent, and you can usually get discounts, if you ask. ;)

7. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Can’t wait to see how this ends. Good luck.

8. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Glad you persisted, mrloshaw, to get what you wanted and ordered. It's very straightforward, and while these forums are full of people who complain about stuff but then meekly accept whatever was shipped to them, you did the right thing by insisting on getting what you paid for. A bone nut is much better. The skunk strip on the one you got was way off, to the point of being a defect. The only thing I thought was not a legit issue was the grey blemish. It is not, as some said, "grain" -- it is a mineral streak or other discoloration. 20 years ago that would have been unacceptable, but today's cruddier wood selection makes it fairly common. I hope you enjoy your replacement. I would demand some brass replacement saddles, first because you paid for a guitar with brass, and second because you have been inconvenienced and experienced loss of use of the guitar between when you paid and when you finally receive a decent one.

Bandboy likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

You realize that your contradicting yourself. Bigger isn't better but I'll recommend the largest online seller in the USA.

I any case sweetwater is irrelevant if your Canadian.

10. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Meister

I have to say, I bought my Squier CV50 as a floor model off the showroom floor of my local Guitar Center and it looked to be in better shape than what you got :(

Hopefully your store and Fender find a solution that makes you happy. Nothing worse than beginning a new relationship with a guitar when it starts off with drama ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  11. FenderGuy53

Not at all.

Firstly, Sweetwater is NOT the largest online seller in the USA.

Secondly, Sweetwater DOES ship outside the USA, but with certain restrictions.

If ya wanna maintain yer cred here, then it's best to look before you leap, warrant! ;)

12. Powwerzombie

Powwerzombie Tele-Meister

Aw crap....we have to maintain cred here?

tintag27 likes this.
  13. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

That is some really forked up crap my man. Covid or no it shouldn't be that hard to get the right guitar. We've had some irregular shipping problems and it's understandable but the condition of that guitar is ridiculous.

And if they're changing how they make them (brass to steel, bone to plastic to bone to...) you might have to wait a bit till they figure out what they're doing. Seems like it's been long enough when they changed factories (China to Thailand?) things should be smoothed out.
    I've read about other current CVs with the strings lined up wrong. Sorry. That's all I got.
    Good luck with it and don't take any s***t

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Takes 4 pages to say “that sucks, send it back, get another” but we made it! :)

I’ve owned several older CVs, VMs, and two new MII CVs (a Starcaster and 70s Jaguar). Regarding the new CVs, frets were good to immaculate, and only minor finish flaws. I had bone nuts on both guitars. The CV Starcaster in particular was excellent out the box...so you’re right to seek out a better example.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Except Sweetwater is the largest online seller in the USA. It's number 2 in the world after Thomann.
    It's also the second largest retailer in America after Guitar Center, Thomann averages 950M, Sweetwater 750M, American Music Supply is 320M and Guitar Center (including Musician's Friend) is 200M.
    The rest of GC's sales is done in it's stores. (all figures for 2018)

Sweetwater won't ship Fender or Squier to Canada

16. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

FWIW, I am also a Canuck and I bought my Squier Tele locally from Music Pro - this was back in May during the height of the lock down situation... they gave me fantastic service on the phone and provided curb-side pickup. And it's a fantastic guitar!

warrent likes this.
  17. FenderGuy53

Hmmm.. Why not?

18. FenderGuy53

Ya got me, warrent. Apologies, sir. Did not think that Sweetwater was the largest online seller in the USA. :rolleyes:

19. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Fender won't let them.
    That's on new stuff used they can do what they want.

20. FenderGuy53

Have you tried Reverb? Also, there's Willcutt Guitars, in Kentucky; they have good pricing and offer great customer service!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.