1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finally got back together after 3 months ...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Flat6Driver, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

...already scheduling issues for the next week.

Arggg. who-we-are-musicians-what-do-we-want-play-when-we-32295342.png

Asmith, dougstrum, gridlock and 7 others like this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Let's just practice live ! hooray !

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

it is a problem, isn't it? I played with a group in Holland, doing "classic rock" covers. We rehearsed every weekend, playing the set-list over and over. The group had been together for 20 years before I joined...

If we tried a new song, it usually sounded great. It sounded like guys who could play, playing a song.

But then we would start to tear it down, and try to make it closer to the 'real' ZZ Topp version. It wasn't good enough to play a song well, and with feeling. It had to be played just like ZZ Topp played it. And after 3 or 4 weekends of this, we would decide to NOT play it.

bsman likes this.
  4. Flat6Driver

Yeah this is just disappointing. We're not proficient enough to just pick things up. Though we could be.

But we're also not getting any gigs because more established/connected/better/etc bands will get and deserve them. And I'm not wasting my time looking for them.

I just wanted to play again. But this might just sap the energy of out it for me.

After this week, one or more is on vacation or travel for who knows how long.

Grrr.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

We haven't gotten back together again, yet.....but I fully expect the bass player will have lost what little skills he had BC19. I also was about to audition another guy, just before "this" happened, but I haven't talked to him to see if he's still interested.....it would just be a little premature. I've done little more than work on new material lately, so I have a backlog of stuff to try to do......but may not have anyone to do it WITH! :(

Treehouse and Flat6Driver like this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

With my last band I resorted to using Doodle polls for scheduling - didn't help when certain members forgot what they'd responded (or that I'd put the effort into making a scheduling poll) and made other plans after saying they were available....grrr.

The next band there will be an iron clad weekly practice night that people will have to plan OTHER things around. If band practice is everybody's last priority in scheduling, then it just won't happen.

dougstrum likes this.
  7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I remember back when I was in a "serious" band (we were gonna make it big) in my late teens / early 20s. We would just say "we're gonna practice on Saturday" and it was understood that you get there some time around noon and stay until early evening sometime. We wouldn't even set a specific time. We'd get a pizza or something at some point during the day. Sometimes other guys from other bands just as "serious" as ours would show up and hang out and we would all sit around and take really long breaks, and then sit around afterwards and talk about what show or party we were going to that night (girlfriends were usually discouraged from being there, though they sometimes were anyway). It wasn't like anyone had anything else to do.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  8. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Our rehearsing space has closed and our drummer has not practiced since March and has forgoten all the songs while our singer has lost his lyrics notebook. Yet everyone is bursting with declarations of enthousiasm.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

We have our first gig on the 26th, haven't played together since February. Our band doesn't practice much anyway, but we are going to be exceptionally unprepared this time.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

still watching from the sidelines. The stats locally don't look very promising at the moment.

Was just about to launch another band; first gig got cancelled and...the bass player's wife decided it was time to move. Ok, fine. Liked him a lot, but. Recruited another, he's interested and tbh, the new guy would be closer to my flavor of bass player. So, we got that going for us when things start leaning back towards normal.

For my regular band/weekly, the venue wants us back, but it's too soon. Love to play but not gonna do it with trailing 14 days average showing a 10% increase day by day.

but yeah, when things get closer to returning to safe, Ima be all over it. With the new band, we may have a few practices, just to get everybody on the same page.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

So, now you find out who takes it seriously.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Flat6Driver

None of them actually. Been 3 months and drummer was up to his old trick of looking at his phone between songs. Which I wouldn't care about except he's the worst for returning coherent texts. Either way late or I'll say pick A or B and he answers a different question.

We've been pretty solid on Monday nights for a while. Problem is, drummer needs to travel for work now that thing are opening up.

We got offered a gig. A new place we lined up under an ambiguous pay situation that had cancelled for C19. I just turned it down. All the scheduling hassles, unpreparedness and not knowing the venue with the virus....forget it.

I think this is on its last legs due to waning interest. But maybe I'm projecting.

13. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Correct. Hard to get 4 people on the same schedule.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  14. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

2nd practice was Wednesday.
    Next Friday Sue Island grill in Middle Rive MD 7-11Pm and Saturday at Perry’s in Odenton MD 5-8 pm.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I grew up with choir and string ensemble groups. Didn't realize at the time how much I learned about "group management" and "organization". I unconsciously transferred and applied that to my band rehearsals. Practice was "fun"......but it was also "business". There was an objective that had to be met. AFTER practice, there was sometimes some "party" attitude, but ONLY after the practice was finished. We didn't even allow outsiders to observe, as a general rule. ( in other words, no Yoko's)

16. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

drummers are always like that

10 silver saxes
    a bass with a bow
    the drummer relaxes
    and waits between shows
    for his cinnamon girl
    then checks the texts on his phone
    for his cinnamon girl

17. Flat6Driver

We do some Neil Young...I might throw this in. :)

18. Flat6Driver

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the work.

I'm a busy guy (less then before C19 since I work from home) the joy of getting together and nailing something after some hardwork is totally worth it. Too much goofing around and that doesn't get done.

This was just getting together to actually work. Sigh

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Go back to what excited you about playing live music in the first place. Get rid of the dead weight. Those people never get any better about it. It's supposed to be fun.
    There is a certain commitment to the group, and that's part of the deal. But if interest is waning, move on to people who have the interest and energy to carry. Don't let these slackers bring you down or ruin your attitude toward playing live music. It's your decision. Not theirs!

Flat6Driver and dougstrum like this.
  20. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've played 3 so far and have 10 more on the books. The difference from times past is that more than ever those gigs are hanging on a thread and could be cancelled at any time.

Right now all but one gig is either acoustic duo or trio (2 acoustic guitars and a percussionist). My band has one gig Aug 1 and that's a private party at a house on a public lake. My first gig since the lockdown was for the residence of a private lake. This next lake party will probably have the same format where the majority of the audience will be folks out on the lake in their pontoons. Most of the other gigs that are booked are at wineries. They're usually in a better position to spread out tables, often out into lawn areas, to maintain physical distancing rules. One of the gigs, in late Aug, is at a blues club that has struggled in the best of times (for other reasons than the music) and has closed until further notice after trying a couple nights of solo entertainment.

These few gigs so far have been so very refreshing, seeing old friends and meeting new ones, and just getting a taste of the old normal again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.