Finally got around to installing a six saddle bridge on my AV 72 Tele Custom.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I ordered a Kluson right away after I posted about being interested in one, but for some reason, I just now got around to installing it. I had a little problem with the CRV, trying a new shop only a couple of miles from our house, I hope they work out just fine. Anyway, since I was afoot, I thought I might as well take advantage of the time, and go ahead and install it.

Simple enough to do, I did as some have pointed out have to drill the holes for the screws for the bridge pickup out a little. I had a good drill index on hand my golfing buddy gave me years ago, so I just went the very next size up, and more than anything just cleaned the chrome out of the holes. No damage to the bridge at all from the drilling.

Everything else was a breeze, put on a new set of DR Pure Blues 10-46 strings, and am completely 100% satisfied with the new bridge. I only bought the Kluson over the Gotoh because I found one at a good price. I never could get the sixth string to sound right on the 3 saddle. It was not so much the intonation, I just couldn't get the string long enough for the scale. With the new saddle everything measured out nicely, and I only had to adjust the saddles a tiny bit on each string. I measured from the inside of the nut to the center of the twelfth fret, doubled that and started the strings on the 1st, and sixth from there. Everything else worked out to the common zigzag pattern you see on that sort of arrangement.

Everything simply fell into place nicely. There is a difference in tone, sound or whatever that even someone with as poor hearing as I have to notice. For want of a better term, the tone is just cleaner, and that's what I've actually been looking for. I'm not saying I got a new guitar, but it's enough different along with the Kluson tuners that it's not hard for me to pretend I did. I might even get to where I like it enough to play it!

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Like it enough to play it? That’s getting to be a love fest.
    Now if you play it enough that you feel like writing a song, that’s something to talk about right there.
    Seriously, glad you enjoy it, hope you feel inspired.

Inspiration is sorely lacking with me, I’d buy anything that would inspire me.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. boredguy6060

I would love some, I’ll load up on meds, but SFR sounds wonderful.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Your first paragraph almost threw me off.....I thought you were putting a six saddle bridge on your CRV, and it was giving you a little problem.
    Luckily, I read on, and I think I got the gist now.....but now.....what's up with the Honda? ;)

Toto'sDad and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

On our way home from the golf course yesterday just as we turned onto our street, the power steering pump cavitated. It was only for a short ways, but it did it again when I pulled in the driveway. My wife could hear that something was different too. I looked it up, and if the pump is operated after it starts cavitating it can pump stuff down into the steering assembly on the bottom of the car. Then it gets REALLY expensive.

Anyway I researched it and found a place nearby that looked like an actual business, instead Joes shade tree mechanic and maternity ward that had a lot of very positive reviews. When I got to the part in my research about how you put the car up on jack stands, remove the drivers side front tire, remove part of the engine compart, THEN start pulling the pump I thought, I'm just not going to do this. We'll see, the place has been there twenty years that's a good sign, and they have a long time Honda guy there too. I was going to call my brother in law and have him haul my car down there, but I started it up, and it was back to normal.

The guy at the shop said the relief valve can stick and cause the condition I experienced. His answer was to flush the system, and put new oil in it. They were going to get it up to operating temp and see how it did, if it needs a pump, now is the time to do it. I'm going to have them install a new serpentine belt too while they're at it.

PS:

I'm at the age now where I don't mind helping my son work on his Corvette, that's fun work. Besides I can drive the car to "test it out." There's something pretty cool about driving something with 465 actual dynoded horse power. Working on my own transportation cars, is fading into the past for me. They are just too complicated and require too much special equipment and knowledge.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    boredguy6060 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. boredguy6060

Im not sure how this got posted here, but it was a reply to my daughter who asked if I wanted some Shrimp Fried Rice for dinner.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

The nearby golf course and the place where my car is being worked on are about the same distance from our house. The names of both places start with an R. This morning I called the shop to tell them that since they had it in the shop anyway, to go ahead and change the serpentine belt. Before I could really get started on my conversation, Greg at the golf course recognized my voice and informed me that I had called the golf course, and he didn't THINK anyone was working my car out in the cart shack! He said call back when you want a tee time TD!

boredguy6060 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.