Finally Gigged With This Amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Dec 8, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

A while back I created a thread about this amp, a Vox Pathfinder 15R that I built a cabinet for, with four 8" speakers. I thought it sounded good at home, it performed well at rehearsals, but I finally got a chance to try it at a gig. It was kind of a "different" situation.....a private party at a private club where another band also performed, and we both occasionally had other musicians join in on songs. At one point we had four guitarists onstage at the same time, which I find "unwieldy". Among the other guitar amps was a Blues Junior and an AC-10. My Pathfinder is in a pine cabinet, with a mix of three Vox eights, and one Jensen eight. Very "solid" and punchy sound, even better than another PF15R I have with one 12" speaker. This solid state amp easily sounded as good (or better) than the other tube driven amps. One thing that I think helped, was the other guitarists were heavily "effected" and processed sounding. I have a pedal board, but I only used my Mosaic 12-String Emulator on one song, and a chorus and Tube Screamer on one other....in other words, I played the amp without ANY effects. (other than a touch of reverb) To my ear, letting the amp "shine" on its own Vox 155.JPG Vox 157.JPG Vox 156.JPG is the best test of how an amp sounds.
    Here are a few pics of the amp.
    BTW....it was also the first chance I've had to gig my #1 Telecaster with a new Bootstrap Pickups' Pretzel bridge pickup.....it sounded AWESOME, and paired very well with a Bootstrap Palo Duro neck p/up.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just now seeing this. Cool! :cool:

If I were gigging with that, I'd be letting the amp "shine" on its own as well. I'm not a pedal guy, as I've said before. And the fact that the Pathfinder has reverb and tremolo built in is perfect for me.

How does that work with the one amp circuit driving four 8 ohm speakers (assuming the Jensen 8" is also 8 ohm)? Are the speakers wired in series, or a combination of series and parallel? I don't know much about it, but if I've figured it right, the four 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel would yield a 2 ohm load. And the PF15R manual warns against using an extension cab lower than 8 ohms.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Nice work. Did ya happen to get any recordings? I've enjoyed my Bootstraps, too (got some P90s). Gonna hafta go get those humbuckers I've been eyeballin'.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Minimal effects and only reverb, you REBEL!!:)

Good job. glad it worked out.

I used to jam with a great guitar player in Portland. You could have three or four guitar players on stage and he could find a part that no one was playing.

Sign of experience.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not being a proficient electronic's guy, I googled wiring four eight ohm speakers for an eight ohm load. It's a combination of two pairs of speakers wired in series, then those wired in parallel to the amp. (or vice versa....don't exactly remember ;) ) I then checked with my multi-meter to verify, and sure enough, it's correct. I realize it's not as compact and convenient as a stock PF 15R, but it sure sounded good, and stood up to a bass player that only knows two volume levels.....loud and LOUDER.....but that's a subject for another thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.