Finally Getting To Do This! Hello from Lakeway, TX

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
To say the least. I pretty much could never get it past 2-3. What's worse is that while it had a master volume, it was so dry when you tried to OD it (SS pre-amp). Headroom for days. I just wish there was a decent OD pedal at the time. I would have MUCH rather gone down the Marshall path to do it over again.

I saw a show years back where the guitarist of some indie band was using one of those and it was insanely loud. His tone was super bright and drilled straight into your skull. And he wasn't using an extension cab! Just the combo. Crazy volume. So much so that I've never forgotten it.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Always happy to talk gear! I'm not into Mascis (apologies to his fans), but I like it 'pretty much'. I'll save the specs as they're easy to find.

My personal thoughts? I really like the pickups. I think the neck pu is warm, full, and clear clean, yet handles the light to medium OD better than many of my current or former Teles. The bridge pu is also stout. I think Fender described it well. Both pickups are like hot '58s.

String tension is supposed to be lower with the top mount strings - meh, don't notice it. I run 10s and they feel the same to me top or bottom.

I love the fat C carve of the neck. Not a baseball bat at all (I'm 5'5",so don't have particularly large hands). But my favorite part are the jumbo frets. I'm an aggressive bender, so big frets are a great thing for me.

Dislike(s)? It's just too darn heavy. I'd love it if it were at least a pound lighter.

I'm still on the bubble with the out of phase middle position, but it's grown on me and it's unique from my other Teles. I was going to rewire it to standard 3-way, but probably keep as is at this point. But I did do my usual 'remove the neck pu from the tone circuit'.

I like mine, but I really wish it was lighter.

Cheers!
Thanks!

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
I saw a show years back where the guitarist of some indie band was using one of those and it was insanely loud. His tone was super bright and drilled straight into your skull. And he wasn't using an extension cab! Just the combo. Crazy volume. So much so that I've never forgotten it.
Haha. Yes, they have a lasting effect on people who hear them cranked! Back then I was using these little Dan Armstrong boxes that you could attach to your amp or guitar. IIRC, I had the 'Purple Peaker' (?) and the 'Orange Squeezer'. The OS was a very good compressor and are worth a fair penny nowadays. The PP was a distortion box that was a bit brittle. My options were limited as were my funds.

The amp was like a Twin Reverb on steroids. Terrific cleans, vibrato, and reverb. If back then, I had a TS-9 and a nice fat sounding distortion pedal (like my Revv G3) things could have been so different.

I hope you didn't suffer any long-term hearing loss! Lol