Finally Getting To Do This! Hello from Lakeway, TX

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
I'm used to a breeze being cool and refreshing when it's hot outside. In the few times I've been to Texas (Austin and College Station), it just seems like it gets hotter when the wind blows!
It's crazy. I rode motorcycles for many years, at speed it felt like a blow dryer set to high 😏

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
Nice axes, I suddenly have Les Paul envy....it happens a lot here.
Welcome to TDPRI and thanks for the pics.
Thanks Jimmy! I do indeed love them, but I'm an avowed fanatic. I recently added a D'Angelico Brighton. I love having something that's all at once familiar, but at the same time, so different than what I have. I have an absolute target on my head when it comes to gear. I need to get back to work! Too much idle time!

Have a great weekend!

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
Hindsight is always 20-20 in doing things over concerning guitars & amps purchased. In 1969 when I went into the Air Force, I would have searched diligently for a used Tweed Deluxe (5E3 circuit) and bought it.
Thank you for your service. Air Force = very impressive.

'69, yep that was still when vintage was barely vintage and the new stuff was still good.

Fortunately I don't have a slew of regrets (from a gear standpoint), but one painful regret was selling my 70s Pro Reverb. So, so, stupid!!! I bought it here in Austin for $400. It was such a great workhorse. I loved it, but I loved my Super Reverb more and something had to go in order for me to justify the new Les Paul Smartwood I thought I had to have. Fast forward, the Smartwood is long gone (not an ounce of regret) and of course, the Pro is surely having a great life with someone else. I need another amp like I need a hole in my head, but man, I sure miss the heck out of that amp.

Oh, and while I'm at it (sorry for the long post), I had the chance to buy Nils Lofgren's used early 70s Super Reverb in '76 (when I bought the MusicMan) that he toured, and probably recorded with. It had a whisper fan cut right into the side (brilliant idea) and had "Grin" stenciled on both sides and back. Problem was, I was a kid and I had to finance whatever I bought and they only took cash for the Fender.

Have a great weekend

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Thanks Jimmy! I do indeed love them, but I'm an avowed fanatic. I recently added a D'Angelico Brighton. I love having something that's all at once familiar, but at the same time, so different than what I have. I have an absolute target on my head when it comes to gear. I need to get back to work! Too much idle time!

Have a great weekend!
So...i checked out the D'Angelico Brighton and now I want one, This is entirely your fault.:lol:
DAPBRIOXBCS-WF.png

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
🤣🤣 I'm really sorry! But man I'll tell you, it's become a quick favorite. I got the Deluxe (Sweetwater had a great deal on their exclusive run, but unfortunately are sold out). They come with Seth Lovers and a few other extras, but hey, I'm planning on getting the Premier Mini DC. Just waiting for them to get back in stock.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Thanks! I appreciate it the welcome.

That's a j.mascis Tele. If you're curious about them, I'm happy to answer any questions or share my thoughts.
My partscaster looks a bit like yours, but mine has a bound, block-inlayed, rosewood neck.
20200516_153341.jpg
Yours is purty! I'm not really familiar with the J. Mascis Tele, so if you'd like to elucidate I'd love it!

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
lol, that musicman setup must have blown the doors and windows out of any place you played. Those amps are crazy loud!

Welcome to the forum.
To say the least. I pretty much could never get it past 2-3. What's worse is that while it had a master volume, it was so dry when you tried to OD it (SS pre-amp). Headroom for days. I just wish there was a decent OD pedal at the time. I would have MUCH rather gone down the Marshall path to do it over again.

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
My partscaster looks a bit like yours, but mine has a bound, block-inlayed, rosewood neck. View attachment 995071 Yours is purty! I'm not really familiar with the J. Mascis Tele, so if you'd like to elucidate I'd love it!
Always happy to talk gear! I'm not into Mascis (apologies to his fans), but I like it 'pretty much'. I'll save the specs as they're easy to find.

My personal thoughts? I really like the pickups. I think the neck pu is warm, full, and clear clean, yet handles the light to medium OD better than many of my current or former Teles. The bridge pu is also stout. I think Fender described it well. Both pickups are like hot '58s.

String tension is supposed to be lower with the top mount strings - meh, don't notice it. I run 10s and they feel the same to me top or bottom.

I love the fat C carve of the neck. Not a baseball bat at all (I'm 5'5",so don't have particularly large hands). But my favorite part are the jumbo frets. I'm an aggressive bender, so big frets are a great thing for me.

Dislike(s)? It's just too darn heavy. I'd love it if it were at least a pound lighter.

I'm still on the bubble with the out of phase middle position, but it's grown on me and it's unique from my other Teles. I was going to rewire it to standard 3-way, but probably keep as is at this point. But I did do my usual 'remove the neck pu from the tone circuit'.

I like mine, but I really wish it was lighter.

Cheers!