Finally found a satisfying univibe

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’m a sucker for movement. A little or a lot. I’m enjoying the MDV3 from OP. I think the modern univibe pedal is good. Love the throb.

trxx

Tele-Afflicted
I’m a sucker for movement. A little or a lot. I’m enjoying the MDV3 from OP. I think the modern univibe pedal is good. Love the throb.

That thing has a ton of throb. It definitely is not lacking in that department. That was one thing that made me move away from it though, for fear of pushing some vintage speakers too hard. I wanted something tamer.

The speed on the MDV-3 is also capable of getting much faster than the Micro Vibe, which makes for some cool fast modulation effects in the vein of Black Hole Sun. I will definitely miss that. But I think I have found a good alternative for that in another pedal, @schmee mentioning the Visual Sound Liquid H20. I grabbed a v3 that has a continuous adjustment between chorus and vibrato. We'll see after it shows up.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Most of the differrences in my opinion were in pedals controls, rather than real feeling, I had basically the same feeling. I found it really hard to catch the thing with a mic in front of the speaker, kinda like the reason it's hard to catch the feel of a rotary speaker.

Thanks for doing all that. I didn't read anything first, just played the clips. No. 2 in the first set of 3 and No. 1 in the second set of 3 sound like a Vibe (The Depths).

I can't agree with all pedals having the same 'feeling'. The throb characteristic is definitely the heart to a good Vibe..

MojoTrwall

Tele-Holic
Thanks for doing all that. I didn't read anything first, just played the clips. No. 2 in the first set of 3 and No. 1 in the second set of 3 sound like a Vibe (The Depths).

I can't agree with all pedals having the same 'feeling'. The throb characteristic is definitely the heart to a good Vibe..

You got it right even with the sloppy play and excess of fuzz !

neilybob100

Tele-Meister
Sorry for highjacking this thread but has anyone ever tried a univibe into ...... a univibe? Maybe one set to slow speed and one set to fast?

Just interested.

Dobbin

TDPRI Member
I love the sound and keep buying so-called better and better vibes, I'm on an Earthquaker The Depths now. It is a good pedal if not totally authentic.

My issue is that when I PLAY I end up turning more to my 2 stage phaser and my tremolo which can do harmonic and vibrato sounds when I am wanting movement and pulse.

Go figure.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Still have my old original Deja Vibe Stereo. It's as big as a breadbox but sounds great, the stereo out is mesmerizing. Don't think they made many. Maybe it'll be worth a fortune some day.

These days I use my Flint more, with the Harmonic Trem in stereo.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I have the Voodoo Lab modded by JHS, which definitely improved the speed sweep. I love the Ventura Vibe too.

NorthenLights

Tele-Meister
I was hesitant at first but it’s actually really good. This falls into the category of pedals with a great second feature because that vibe switch is awesome. I never feel like it’s underwhelming. Great little box.

Just thought I mention that you convinced me to pull the trigger on a used Dunlop jhm 3! It's the same circuit as your pedal, but with the Jimi Hendrix 70th anniversary art work on the box. And you know what? I agree with you that it's awsome :D

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Just thought I mention that you convinced me to pull the trigger on a used Dunlop jhm 3! It's the same circuit as your pedal, but with the Jimi Hendrix 70th anniversary art work on the box. And you know what? I agree with you that it's awsome :D
I bought that MDV3 from a fellow TDPRI member and I sincerely think about going back to the box. It’s a great pedal but the sound isn’t any better to my ears. I am a sucker for treadle pedals!

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister
Sorry for highjacking this thread but has anyone ever tried a univibe into ...... a univibe? Maybe one set to slow speed and one set to fast?

Just interested.
@neilybob100 Well I was perusing this thread to brush up on univibes currently popular/available and figured this thread has run its course, and I hijack at times myself (yah I’m a rebel.. ;)) but the short answer your question is; running two univibes in series is not a good idea.. Regardless of how you set the speed or other parameters of each pedal, the bottom line is you’re going to end up with garbled mush. A traditional uni-vibe is already a very strong effect with a strong unapologetic character that’s almost never subtle. For many the non-subtle nature of just a single unit alters the core dry signal too much to be useable. Think of it like; you’ve got an absolutely fire breathing, wooly, heavily gated fuzz. Now grab another really high gain, bass heavy big Muff or Octave-fuzz and stack the two together. If you hear anything other than noise, feedback and a farting out torn speaker and manage to hear something which resembles your actual guitar playing it’s a miracle!! Haha.. Good Luck!
-J

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I've been tinkering with a Thorpy Pulse Doppler to get a Uni-vibe sound. Trying to avoid buying a dedicated uni-vibe, a sound I love, if this can do the job, and it seems it should be able to. I will say, dialing this thing in is like dialing in a Mesa amp - you can't just change a single knob to get there - they work together. So far, here is the closest I've gotten. What is interesting is that the whoomp is there on the lower strings and it sounds amazing, but I lose the pulse on the upper strings - trying to figure out how to get it across the range...

Manual and Depth are very symbiotic, if you change one, you most likely will need to adjust the other, as designed and explained in the docs.

tempImageJolxXX.png