Finally Found A Clean Sound I Like

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by gattiswm, Jun 20, 2021.

1. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

As with many guitar players I am always looking to improve tone. I have never been truly happy with my sound, especially my clean sound until the last couple of weeks. It always seemed to sound thin and trebly no matter what I did. Finally, I found a sound I really like, at least for now.

Signal chain is: Strat (Tele needs some setup work. Can't wait to try it), Boss Tuner TU-2, MXR Classic Overdrive (not activated), Keely Compressor, Fender Marine Layer Reverb into '78 Vibro Champ volume on 5, with SM-57 mic into the PA.

The two notable differences from my past setup is 1) Keely Compressor and 2) removal of the Volume Pedal. The Keely really adds a smooth dimension to the sound. I started using the volume on the guitar to adjust. In the past, I had the guitar volume on max and used the pedal to adjust overall volume. I think the volume pedal just killed the tone. Now the sound is lush and full.

Songs for this Sunday (all good clean tone songs)
    -The Wonderful Cross
    -Good Good Father
    -How Great the Father's Love For Us

Anyone else have a favorite combination for a wonderful clean sound?

GoldieLocks and mkdaws32 like this.
  2. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

A pretty simple rig works for me~
    Small amp not to loud with a tiny bit of reverb between amp and guitar.

Jim W and gattiswm like this.
  3. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I have yet to buy a volume pedal: all the ones I tested didn't do more than my $5 volume pot on the guitar... or killed tone slightly (my Morley Wah/volume). There are some good volume pedals -- but i'm not about to pay $200 yet.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    gattiswm likes this.
  4. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I’ve been tempted too, but haven’t. Mine is pretty simple , polytune into digitech CM2 into TS9 into digitech digidelay into drri. I use the TS9 most of the time for OD ,but occasionally the CM 2 on modern setting . I only use the delay once in a while, mostly to accentuate a solo or for chord work to give a little space.

gattiswm likes this.
  5. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

Unfortunately I have been using a volume pedal for a long time, not knowing what I was missing. I also haven't looked at expensive volume pedals. Of course this may change in the future, but think I'm just going to go with the volume pot on the guitar for awhile. Seems to make a lot of sense!

GoldieLocks and dougstrum like this.
  6. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

Unfortunately I have been using a volume pedal for a long time, not knowing what I was missing. I also haven't looked at expensive volume pedals. Of course this may change in the future, but think I'm just going to go with the volume pot on the guitar for awhile. Seems to make a lot of sense!

7. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

Had to look up a couple of the pedals you mentioned on Youtube. Really like that Polytune and CM2. I have been using the TS808 for quite awhile. I just recently picked up MXR Classic Overdrive. I also have a DRRI. Probably need to get it back into rotation!

8. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

The CM2 is a great pedal . Very similar to my ts9 ,but has a switch that gives you a more modern OD sound and a high and low eq for some nice tweaking . I also have a dynacomp I rarely use.

gattiswm likes this.
  9. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Since I attempt to play pedal steel guitar, having a volume pedal is a must.
    I own two: a Goodrich Lowboy 120 and a Bloomery Tapestry.
    The Goodrich is very expensive ( passive) and I had the pot upgraded.
    A few of my electrics ( the Gretsch and 335) are really hard for me, to use the volume knob for swells.
    I have a few reverb pedals, and the volume pedal works well with my style of playing.
    However, there are times when Im asked to play R&B, gospel, funk. Thats when I drop the volume pedal and add my wah pedal. YMMV

ravindave_3600 and gattiswm like this.
  10. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

I also rely on the guitar volume a lot in a set for different tones. Saying that a volume pedal in the right spot is a totally different thing. Try running the volume pedal in the loop or after the dirt boxes and or a compressor if your running a clean amp and pedals. that way the gain is full on and only the volume changes it's a totally different thing. Swells with full gain running verb and or verb can be cool for one thing!

GoldieLocks and gattiswm like this.
  11. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I use a volume pedal (Ernie Ball VP 40th Anniv) in the middle of my chain between OD and modulation. In that position it doesn't affect my clean tone (guitar volume remains wide open) the way rolling back the guitar volume knob can without a treble bleed. And most importantly, it doesn't starve the overdrive pedal, rolling back the VP maintains the OD tone, just at a quieter level.

It's a passive pedal but the manufacturer hypes it as being usable anywhere in the chain and it does well where I have it placed. Of course, it has the kevlar string and wide arc that makes EB do swells smoothly. I'm totally spoiled, playing worship, my signal is totally off until the second I come in and fades to nothing at the end without having to touch a knob.

dougstrum likes this.
  12. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

In church, since I use the PodGo or the Helix, I use clean models. Find I tone I am satisfied with (usually, though not always, a fender sound) and go with it. When we use amps, either the clean channel of my Mesa 5-50+ or my Mesa California Tweed set just below the edge of breakup. On the latter, I push with maybe a Timmy for just over the edge sounds.

When I use a volume pedal, I like the Ernie Ball MVP. It is an active pedal, so it is able to drive the rest of the chain. I used to use it at the beginning of the chain, but now it comes after fuzz and sometimes the other dirt.

13. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

When I'm rocking I Iike to have the guitar's knob dimed and step on my MXR Microamp+ for boost. The M+ really sounds just like my amp, just more of it, and cost less than $100. It was a great find.

Today we're playing clean and countryish so I'm going tele - Vox Ac10c - SM57 - system and riding the volume knob. That little amp is nothing like my roaring Pro Reverb but it's luscious at low to moderate levels. And the volume is just right for the little fills and bends I'll do.

hotraman and dougstrum like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.