1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finally bought an Iridium...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by loopfinding, Feb 24, 2021.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

arrived in the mail today, have messed around with it for the last few hours.

first impressions...

the good:
    • deluxe model through the 2x10 sounds absolutely fantastic for cleans.
    • plexi through the 4x12 sounds great for everything, clean to dirty, jazz to rock. has that open sound and not another “brown sound” caricature. i'm pretty surprised as i'm not really the biggest plexi fan or 4x12 fan in real amps, but this is honestly probably going to be home base for me.
    • of course it doesn’t sound like an amp in the room, but the feel of going straight into the jfet pre actually does have the squishy slightly compressed feel of an amp. this was my main reason for grabbing it and i’m pretty impressed tbh.
    • latency better than I can usually get in my DAW
    • headphone out has more than enough juice to drive my 250 ohm headphones (to a level that’s not going to damage my hearing anyway).
    the “okay”:
    • the “tweed” setting with the mid jacked can get you some of the flavor with the 1x12 blues junior cab, but it sounds more like advertised - a higher value variable resistor on the mids in a BF tone stack rather than a real tweed deluxe sound. i want to try my ownhammer 5e3 IRs instead and see what happens.
    • there’s a little bit of fizz when slamming the input hard - not digital clipping at all, sounds more like silicon transistor type clipping and that makes sense with the jfet input. not so much a problem with fuzzes (we’re looking for some fizz right?) but a bit meh with clean boosts. to be fair, it responds much better to gain pedals than most anything I’ve tried, but i guess you stil have to split some of the clipping work with drive pedals.
    • that being said, it would be cool if there was just a hint more dirt. i know that they're going for realistic gain on the modeled circuits, and i appreciate that they didn't overdo it. but IRL you have speaker distortion in the mix too...so some additional gain to compensate for the lack of that would be nice - just a touch, nothing too crazy.
    • the room IRs are great for practice with headphones, but probably not anything I would use on recording.
    the bad:
    • idk why, but i found 1x12 deluxe cab kind of lifeless and whatever. i guess it gets the job done. oddly enough the 2x10 sounds more like a real DR to me. i have the DR ownhammer set on my own, and i think i'm definitely going to have to cycle through mic type.
    • i found all of the vox settings to sound boxy and totally unusable. maybe it just needs better IRs. or maybe i just don’t like the sound. i’ll admit, i’ve never spent too much time with vox amps IRL in general. but the sound just jumps out at me as "emulation" compared to the other two models when i'm flipping through.
    • there is a bit of switching supply noise bleeding through with headphones at the highest gain settings (other than that, it's pretty low noise). i know they were having some issues with the included power supply at first. i'm going to try it on my higher current board supply and see how it fares. i have yet to try it DI into my interface (and maybe there will not be that problem given that the output amp is not trying to drive headphones).
    • everyone has complained about the lack of options on modeling, or parameters, but i'm totally okay with that considering they've generally done a great job. what i personally dislike is that the IR editor only has "bass" and "treble." even the mooer radar has a 7 band EQ with adjustable bands, and i specifically want that, especially if you can use it as a standalone cab sim. i don't think that's too much overhaul for a firmware update, but who knows whether that happens.
    so yeah, i guess it sounds like i'm talking a lot of smack on it, but so far the good really outweighs the bad, especially the feel thing. can't have everything i guess, but it's better than anything else i've been smacking my head against the wall with for months, and at the price i got it, much cheaper too. it's a keeper in my book.

i was wondering what your impressions were and if you have any tips to get it dialed in a bit better - favorite IRs, favorite drive pedal combos for more dirt, etc.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  2. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Surprised you didn't like the Vox settings, I feel like they nailed that almost better than any other modeler I have tried.

The mono IR cab "B" mono settings I find "blah", but like the A and C cabs.

I like to change the room to the "large" setting when I fire it up as well.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    loopfinding and drewg like this.
  3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I don’t think you talked any smack at all! That was a clear and thoughtfully presented list of useful impressions, and you spent plenty of time on the usefully good ones. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We all have our preferences with gear.
    The Vox models are my faves in the Iridium.
    I use it exclusively for recording. I don't practice through it and I seriously doubt I'd ever use it "live".
    I have found so far that all the models sit really well in a mix especially alongside mic'd amps.

loopfinding likes this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Critical to run it in stereo. The room feature brings it to life, and that runs in stereo.

I found it needs to go straight into the board. Probably the output impedance being so low. So running a looper or reverb/delay after seemed to alter the tone and dynamics just slightly. IME.

Cool piece of gear.

loopfinding likes this.
  6. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I play in a country band and I use Round Amp through Cab A. I also use a Flint, so it’s a lot like a Deluxe Reverb. Everybody in my band plays through the board with in ear monitors. This and a guitar is all I take to rehearsal.

2303768C-93D3-4F79-AE09-8CFF5056A4E7.jpeg

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have an Iridium but I do use an IR loader with a variety of modelers and DI tube amps. The third party IR's I've liked the best are the Ownhammer EVM 12L 4x12 and York Audio Matchless 2x12.

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I had an Iridium for a bit. I liked the idea of a simple hardware solution, but for recording I preferred the tone of my software (S-Gear). Didn’t keep it for that reason since I’m mostly a play at home/recording guy.

I would’ve been interested to try it through a PA. Might’ve been good for that, just didn’t love it enough to keep it for recording.

9. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee TDPRI Member

I had an Atomic Amplifirebox before I bought the Iridium. The AFB sounded amazing, as does the Iridium. But to really use the AFB you have to control it via computer. I felt like I spent way too much time tweaking the presets and not enough time just playing. The Iridium cured me of that. If I can't find something acceptable for my tastes in those 9 settings (between amp and IR) then there's something wrong with me. That has helped me deal with that pedal a lot better than I did the AFB. I realize I'm nuts but at least I know it and can work around it now. I almost always find what I'm after if I rely less on what I hear playing through the Iridium on its own and listen to the playback before I judge. I am over a year in on my Iridium and have as of yet to plug it into a computer. I'd call that a victory.

I am with you about slamming the Iridium front end. It is easy to make it fizz out if you pound it. Seems to me as well it sounds less fizzy and more "natural" if you are hitting it with something that has some of its own dirt onboard rather than just hitting it with volume/EQ. I too find the room setting kinda fun for just playing around but it's not something that I have that much appreciation for in a band mix. I tend to record amps dry and right on the speaker when I'm mic'ing a cabinet anyways. I have recorded it in mono -> stereo where it has a dry feed from one output and just the room on the other and in a loud rock mix (mostly what I do) it's just completely lost. When I'm doing fine subtle things and pan the room hard it is actually quite nice. I also do not think the jacked mids on the round setting really reflect what a 5E3 sounds like. I think it sounds more like my Mesa Mark I on that setting (especially with the 2x10 cab) than it does my 5E3. I agree that IR choice would likely change that. I especially wish the IR's were available for every amp choice so I could hit the chime Blue IR's with the jacked-mid round. Might have a little more of the alnico touch that I'm accustomed to in my 5E3. But, like I said, I'm nuts and really don't want to go down the slippery slope of IR jockeying.

loopfinding likes this.
  10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Edit: oops

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    loopfinding, Fluddman and Mad Kiwi like this.
  11. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I thought you meant a satellite phone! Been thinking about one of those.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Fellow Iridium user here for home recording. Also use the Deluxe model going through the 4X12 cab setting. Totally aces and takes pedals amazingly well.

loopfinding likes this.
  13. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I've had an Iridium for a while too. Mainly use it at home through a desk and a pair of monitors - mostly on the round amp. I haven't played an amp at home since i've got the Iridium - so I guess that means I like it.

I gig with an amp (yep lucky enough to still have a couple of gigs) but tempted to try the Iridium at a gig sometime soon.

I'm also hankering to try a HX Stomp but hoping the Stomp XL might come out soon - the extra foot switches would sure make it a nice standalone solution.

It's nice to play a real amp when the opportunity arises but the Iridium sure sounds convincing and is damn convenient for my home use.

Cheers

loopfinding likes this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

you can swap the stock IRs around in the editor, you should! makes an improvement.

update:
    • i swapped the ownhammer 1x12 DR cab for a "sweet spot" sm57. much better. perfect now.
    • i swapped the ownhammer blues junior 1x12 for an sm57 mic'ed c12 in a tweed deluxe 1x12 cab. sounds closer to a tweed deluxe with the mids jacked now. interestingly enough, i preferred the c12 to the p12, the alnico didn't have enough of that 5e3-ish grind in this configuration.
    • playing around more with slamming the front end, the "fizziness" is really mostly on the marshall model. the deluxe model actually takes boosts fairly well. still can't totally overdo it, and maybe it would be better to combine a tiny bit of diode clipping from an OD, but i'm pleased with the results on the fender model, it's probably my home base now.
    • i swapped the 8x12 marshall cab for the ownhammer sm57 DR cab. it doesn't get rid of the fizziness, and the treble is still really extreme on this model...but it does kind of absorb it into the speaker sound, and pushes it more into, i want to say, supro territory? i find it more usable for my taste than the 2x12 or 4x12 celestion IRs (but I have yet to try this thing with a humbucker equipped guitar, so who knows)
    i got some of those free tone junkie IRs. I'm interested to see what the TR IR will sound like on the marshall model, among other options in there. i still haven't been able to wrangle the vox to my liking 100%, but 2 out of three is cool with me.

15. Zettemusik

Zettemusik TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Has any one used it with delays and reverbs. I don't think it has an effects loop, does it? Thanks

16. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I pair it on a small board, with a Strymon Flint (reverb/trem) and Strymon Deco (slap back or ADT) in front and it sounds great.

Zettemusik and klasaine like this.
  17. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I had one for a short time. I just already had so many options, I decided not to keep it. After the first night, I had completely changed every IR to some of my favorites. It’s a good sounding unit.

18. Grenville

Grenville TDPRI Member

Correct, no effects loop. I'm surprised they didn't do that, or haven't made a revised version with a loop.

Having said that, I use a Catalinbread Belle Epoch (OG) and a Nu-X Tape Core Deluxe (Space Echo stylee thing) into the front end, both sound great.

Zettemusik likes this.
  19. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I play some church services with a guy who uses one. He has a pretty fancy pedal board that he just runs direct to the snake with the Irridium as his 'amp'.

I have to admit, I was really shocked how good it is. He uses the Vox and Fender settings with lots of verb and Strymon delays and stuff. He also uses the a Wampler Ego compressor as the very last circuit on the chain as an 'always on'. He says that is the 'secret' to making it sound and feel like the real thing. Anyways, I play through a $1600 Helix, and I would argue that with his pedalboard, and Irridium, it sounds better than the Helix IMO.

loopfinding and Mike M like this.
  20. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I think the Iridium is worth it just for the Vox sound alone, might be the best Vox I have heard in a modeler.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.