1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finally Bought a Princeton Reverb Reissue....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by castpolymer, Jan 9, 2010.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I have been on the fence about getting a Princeton Reverb for a while. Sold a rifle yesterday so I had a grand burning a hole in my pocket. Pulled the trigger and bought a PRRI from my local music store. Immediately retubed it with JJ's and upgraded the speaker to a Weber alnico ( I took it out of another amp that I just sold ).The amp is great! I have never played thru an amp that is so sensitive to string attack. This will really make me more aware of my playing " touch." I still think the amp is a bit overpriced, but it is very nice. I also said in another post that I would put my upgraded SCXD up against the PRRI stock. I was wrong. :oops: The PRRI is a better amp ( even stock ). The SCXD is still a great amp, but it does not have the sweet tone that the PRRI has.

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

These post about the PRRI really make me want to sell my Hot Rod Dlx. I play 90% at home and while I keep the volume in check (around 2 on the clean channel) it still tends to overwhelm me with bass at times. The Princeton looks like the perfect option for me. I do worry it might be too bright without having the ability to really crank up the volume to move the speaker.

3. LakePlacidBlue

LakePlacidBlue Former Member

Congrats of your new amp! I've also been thinking that PRRI might be good addition to my "collection", which no consists of '57 Deluxe :p

4. Debbie

Debbie TDPRI Member

When you put the JJ's in did you have to rebiase the amp? I just purchased one too and I was thinking of putting different tubes in.

thanks,

Debbie

5. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

How would it, the PRRI, compare to the less expensive VOX "Pathfinder 15R"?

6. castpolymer

No, I did not rebias the amp. I fear and respect electricity enough to know that I do not have the knowledge at this point to mess with that.;)

7. castpolymer

I have never owned or played a Pathfinder 15R. I think Tim Armstrong has both amps, maybe he could chime in.:D

8. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Congrats man on a great amp. I remember you checking out that SF yesterday, so I knew you had the bug. I think the PRRI is a great amp, and the tone is like no other. It really lets you see first hand how much stronger and better tone it is that something like a SCXD. It is the real deal. I plan to get one by the end of the year, or if I am lucky enough a hand wired clone. The thing that gets me most about the amp is the ability to get that sweet sounding tube reverb and tremelo at the same time and dial it in just to your liking. That sound can not happen with a SCXD or VCXD. To me that is what the PR is all about. Real happy for ya man! I Know how you are with those Weber and JJ's, so I'm sure it sounds even sweeter. By now you must have a nice collection of Fender Special Design speakers!

9. zag1

zag1 Tele-Meister

I retubed a PRRI for a friend who just bought one about 2 months ago, so I had an opportunity to "play" with it awhile. I happen to own a Pathfinder 15R with a 10" speaker, and there's no comparison. At least to me. Completely different animal. IMHO

10. castpolymer

I have a few....;)

11. Joey

Joey Tele-Holic

I can identify with Castpolymer's story. I traded my Uncle a hunting rifle for his 1959 Gibson ES-125T and am happy to this day that I did.
    I bought a new PRRI about 2 months ago though Musicians Friend fro $650 (free shipping). First thing I did was install a set of JJ6V6s. You need to rebias any time you change power tubes. It's easy. I bought a bias probe from Eurotubes for $35 and multimeter for $10. The guys at Eurotube are great and will even provide the correct bias for the amp. You can even e-mail or call them to talk you through the process as you do it. But once you get over the initial fear, you'll see it is very easy. And I know crap about electronics.
    I also paid a visit to Billm who installed a new T020 O/T for $65 (O/T+labor) which further improved the already killer tone with nice tight bottom and a bit more head room and cleans.

12. Soopajeanmi

Soopajeanmi TDPRI Member

Told you that....;);)

13. castpolymer

The Eurotube sight only shows one bias probe and 6V6 are not listed. Is this the probe you purchased?

14. Joey

Joey Tele-Holic

They bias probe for the 6V6 and 6L6 are the same 8 pin probe. Just e-mail Eurotube or give them a call if you have any questions. FYI, they also sell a bias probe for EL84s. They are very helpful with customers. Good Luck!

15. castpolymer

Thanks. I think I might give it a whirl ( toasty fingers, here I come )!:D

16. Joey

Joey Tele-Holic

The bias pot is on the left side of the chasssis, under the power transformer. It looks like an input for a cable. You only need to bias one power tube of the matched set.
    1.Put the amp face down on a flat table.
    2.Keep the amp turned off.
    3.Hook up the bias probe
    4.Put a small screw driver in the bias pot
    5.Turn on the amp and let it warm up for a few minutes.
    6.Turning clockwise decreases the bias and turning counter clockwise increases the bias.

If you buy the multimeter also from Eurotubes ( $10), they will also tell you the setting on the multimeter dial you need and the bias setting using the probe which is different if you bias using contact points, which I will not so myself. The bias probe is the safest.
    It sounds like a lot but it's easy. I have friends who come to me now to bias there amps.

17. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

I have had both for a couple of years. The PRRI has JJ power tubes and the Vox is stock.

I use the PRRI with my 5 piece band, no problem, it's loud and full and loaded with personality. The Vox is my "at home" amp. It's a great little amp, but not really comparable to the PRRI. The Vox is good in it's own right, especially if you play with the boost button on all the time and tone controls almost dimed. But the PRRI is just so much more amp. With an OCD in front of it, and the JJ's it's pretty amazing.

So, both great amps for what they are, but not really comparable in terms of volume and presence in a band situation. I don't think the Vox could keep up.

Just depends on what you want it for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.