Finally, after 20+ Years of guitar playing, Ive taken formal Jazz lessons.

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by dreamingtele, Apr 8, 2018.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Music theory has been my weakness. I am self taught in mostly every aspect of my life and always been looking for a mentor/teacher to look up to and learn from. Be it work, sports, music and spiritual walk. Finally, the time has come to learn Blues’ most complicated and technical little brother. It’ll take some time for me to learn Jazz, but you never gonna get there if you dont take the first step. So here I am. Having fun at what Im most passionate on.

[​IMG]

We have covered quite a lot of general topics, and now I dont know where to start. For now, the exercises given to me were locating all E notes on the fretboard, and doing the major scale in syncopated timing. and also practing C "thirds" scale.

Man, theres a lot of things and it feels like everything has been scrambled in my head. good thing I did record our lesson and would hear the lessons again.

Loving the bridge pickup and being on it 99% of the time, Im now learning to love that neck pickup with tone rolled all the way off. I love Julian Lage and he's the one artist that made me learn and take the first step in learning Jazz. I hope I can play and reach within an inkling of his talent. and he's a tele player too!

and its another excuse to get another guitar! I wish its that easy telling it to the wife! LOL

any of you cats here have tips for a complete beginner with NO formal lessons on note, note reading, and music theory regarding where to start, how to start on practicing Jazz and learning Jazz.

2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Two tips that I feel may be helpful.

1.) Patience: this is like learning a new language. It will take a long time before you are able to really internalize the vocabulary and have a handful of tunes down.

2.) Listen: Start listening to a ton of jazz. You want to familiarize yourself with the historic records (Kind of Blue, Saxophone Colossus, Giant Steps, Page One, Moanin, etc) but you should also listen to some easy to digest jazz guitar. Don't take your first jazz lesson and then listen to Coltrane. Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel... these guys play standards and will give you something fairly accessible to start learning the idiom.

As a side note... even if you don't become a jazz player per se, there are a lot of concepts that will benefit you regardless of what style of music you play. I'm a country player, but I have learned to do things like play bebop lines in a blues that otherwise I would have known how to do.

Take it one step at a time and stick to it. It can't help but make you better!

RadioFM74 and ingham210 like this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

tip 1
    work through this:

67291D81-EE31-47F5-807E-0E77A62F90E3.jpeg

do it and you won't have any gaps in your fundamentals

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

My advice, as a professional player and teacher is - now that you've started to take formal lessons - don't ask anybody else for advice (for awhile anyway). Do what your teacher says. There's an amazing amount of misinformation on line (plenty of it here). After you've studied formally for a bit, you'll be able to wade through the BS a lot easier.

5. ndcaster

tip 2
    don't be afraid to walk before you can run

tip 3
    learn the fretboard

tip 4
    play the simplest most effective thing -- such as silence

tip 5
    only play what you completely understand

6. dreamingtele

Thank you! Im not intending to do this for a living, I just want to be a better guitar player.

7. dreamingtele

My teacher showed me this as well, and a few other books, looking now online and see if I can still get this book

8. dreamingtele

I actually debated posting this. I know i should follow my teacher, and he's pretty good. but I wanted to ask look around if people found it quite overwhelming when they first started taking lessons, jazz lessons or music theory lessons. Too many information I know, the internet is a black hole, and given this forum has quite a lot of knowledge not only on gear, i thought why not post and see what infomation turns up and I can make some sense and a general conclusion that I am on the right path.

Thank you for this! it makes sense and a really good thing to say. i take this to my heart. :)

klasaine likes this.
  9. dreamingtele

I practiced yesterday, for an hour, its frustrating. I feel like my hands, fingers and brain are not working together and im all over the place.

ladave likes this.
  10. ndcaster

you put in an hour, that's great

it'll get easier

11. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Play don’t worry!

klasaine likes this.
  12. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Take it one bit at a time and have faith! Just keep adding bits and it starts to make better sense.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  13. dreamingtele

Its hard for me to do the regular weekly lessons as I have other bills to pay, so Its kind of an every other week thing. Im trying to supplement my learning by getting all resources I can find and learn on my own in between lessons, I've been focusing on my music notation/theory, note names and doing the C Major scale in different parts of the fretboard and also sight reading practices. Its kind of learning a new language and its making me cry. LOL

14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

It is learning a new language, not like it. The theory and notation part at least. Reading standard notation doesn't take as long to learn if you just stick to it and find some good practice/exercise books. Even if you aren't a sight reader, just knowing how to read stuff and play it opens up a ton of material to learn and practice.
    Also I'd say listen as much as possible to the type of stuff you want to learn.
    Good luck!

15. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Have fun tackling theory. Fortunately, there's different approaches (study methods) or different paths to learning. Find those that work for you!

16. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Just remember...
    There are no mistakes in jazz...

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

HI, I've been at it for about two years now and looking back progress has been immense. But the road ahead is a lot longer. Have faith, endurance and enjoy the trip. It will get nice soon.

Two pieces of advice given above strike me as absolutely right:
    - if you trust your teacher, stick to his advice and look no further at least at the start. It IS overwhelming and he is the one who is taking this vast mass of knowledge and making it digestible for you.
    - listen to a lot of jazz, avidly. Try to understand what "jazz" or jazzes you like. Saying "jazz" is a bit like saying "rock" .... just as there's quite a big gap between Elvis and Megadeth, there is a wide gulf between Jelly Roll Morton and Pat Metheny via Dizzy, Clifford Brown, Miles, Wes, Emily Remler..... This will help you a lot in learning the language(s) and also knowing what to learn. If bebop is your thing, say, you'll have to focus a lot more on arpeggios than on modes....

I'll add just two in violation of the first advice above:
    - look up Tim Lerch's little video on how to get a good jazz tone out of a tele. Tim is ... there's only one like him
    - as soon as you can, go play jazz with others ... Even just comping for another guitarist.

Enjoy the trip ;D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.