1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finally, a Timmy

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by markal, Apr 7, 2021.

1. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Received a new MXR Timmy today. I’ve had time to noodle with it for about 30 minutes using humbuckers and switching between my Blues Cube Artist and my Laney Lionheart.

It’s a good pedal. I like the low gain grit and I like that it doesn’t add a lot of bass (unless you want to). It’s a keeper. It’ll have to bump something off my board, not sure what yet. Currently I run 4-5 ODs but that is split across two small boards. When I play out again, hopefully someday soon, I use just one small board, usually with two ODs (and then trem, delay and reverb).

Many people said they like to run this pedal last in their chain if they’re stacking ODs. At least on quick test so far, I don’t like it last. I like it before my BB Preamp. That seems like a pretty good combo so far (Timmy —> BB Preamp). I also liked it before the Wampler Euphoria, but I am increasingly finding that the Wampler has too much bass (even with it rolled all the way off). Anyway, more fiddling and testing to do.

Edit - and then I tried it with my tele, and, WOW!, sounds really good with single coils!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Alex_C, Flip G, bluesholyman and 4 others like this.
  2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

The euphoria struck me as a Timmy with too much bass. I dumped the euphoria for the Timmy. I also like it up front as a dirty boost.

Marc Morfei and markal like this.
  3. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I hadn’t realized until recently how much bass the Euphoria adds. I always run it with the bass nearly off and lately I’ve been wanting even less bass. Might have to sell it, but I’ll wait a while.

4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

When I first got mine I loved cranking up thr bass and treble knobs. It gets pretty fuzzy.

5. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

My favorite overdrive for adding "harmonic complexity" without stepping all over the amp's tone

Marc Morfei likes this.
  6. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I love my Timmy. It sounds like my amp being pushed, but at a volume that doesn't make my ears bleed. I like how I get a nice, jangly sound with a lighter touch, but a pleasant crunch if I play a little harder.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I also love my Timmy. If I had to have only 1 OD it would be a Timmy. Truthfully, other OD's disappoint me - pretty much all of them.

I have a V2 but I'm curious about the MXR version. I may try one if I can find one on the used market.

Ignatius likes this.
  8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I love the Timmy/Tim..

there was one time I ran a Timmy into a Timmy.. and most recently a Timmy into a Tim.. LOLOLOL It was supposed to be for shiz and giggles, but I ended up liking it too much!

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

Ive had my run with my Tim/Timmy for almost 10 years.. Ill have either the Tim or timmy on my board, always.. but recently it has been dethroned, and I sold it. Id get a Timmy V3 in the future.. They're just too good.

However, if you do crank the gain, it can get a little too edgy.. a bit too sharp/cutting and the texture too grainy.. its one of those things I didnt like but not an issue since I dont play with that much gain anyway, and it's the sort of thing I can ignore.. dont get me wrong, it still sounds great under the right circumstances/situations..

Have fun! its a classic for a reason..

9. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

What’s the difference between the Tim and Timmy other than the obvious size/boost difference?

I have Greer lightspeed and Barber again Changer (I run the GC in light drive mode), do I still need a Tim Timmy? :)

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I run Carcoza > Mythical Overdrive > Timmy > Boss OD-3 as it seem to give me anything and everything I need.
    I used to have a Rat in there (towards the end) but I found that, properly set, the Carcoza could give me anything that I wanted from the Rat plus more fuzzyness.

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I like my dano Timmy clone a lot. It’s just nicely tuned.

Why don’t more drive pedals has both bass and treble controls instead of just a tone knob?

AWTele likes this.
  12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Had a Timmy, nice pedal. I prefer the barber gain changer.

Similar to the Timmy, it's completely transparent with gain down and eq to match. Then you go from there.

The difference is I find the barber more pleasing as you dial it up. It could be related to the fender amps I use.

Daytona.57 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

There is no right or wrong. The positioning depends on your preferred "core tone". The general rule is that the last overdrive that is ON imparts the greatest impact of tone. If you build your tone with a BB Preamp, then that is what you want last. If you built your tone with a Timmy... that is what you would want last. The pedal the appears first is a "supplement" to the pedal that appears last.

FWIW... I goose a Timmy with a Tube Screamer. The Timmy is the tone, the TS is the supplement. It doesn't work (for me) if those pedals are reversed.

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I have my OCD V2, Xotic SL drive and an Xotic Super Clean (as a treble boost) before my MXR Timmy. I use one of those with the Timmy for certain songs, as well as the Timmy on it's own for others. The only pedal I have after the Timmy is my Tumnus, though I don't tend to use anything other than the treble boost into that.

It's whatever works for you though and most of my tweaking has been on my headphone practice rig (actually a Tascam 32 track with a guitar amp sim), so when I get back to rehearsing though my Marshall Mini Jubilee stack I may change things again anyway, based on a quick try out this weekend when I had the house to myself...

I particularly like the Timmy when I'm using the neck pickup on my Tele, Strat or P90 Les Paul. It just fattens the sound up without swamping it in fuzz/distortion.

15. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I have a Nocturne Fluid Drive which from descriptions and demos is very Timmy-like in character.
    I like it very much.
    I wish I knew someone who had a Timmy I could borrow just to compare them.
    If there are any Tavo Heads out there who have both I'd love to hear about it. How similar they are and how they differ.

16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Aside from the second boost, Tim has an effects loop built in. Quite useful from trying out pedals w/o dismantling a pedal board.

The biggest difference is the taper on the Gain knob. With the Tim, I use anywhere between 9 oclock and 1 oclock for clean boost with edge. The same sweep is compressed into the 9 oclock to 10:30 or 11 oclock space on Timmy. Much harder to adjust gain on the Timmy cause of the taper, though I think the available gain is no different.

BTW: I have a Greer Lightspeed also. Whether you need that pedal or just a Timmy depends on what need. I use the Tim for always on clean boost. I never turn on the Tim second level boost, as it adds too much volume. The Lightspeed is my second level boost, for when I want something more just clean boost. They cooperate beautifully together. I've not tried the Lightspeed as my only boost. The Tim remains number one in that position, in large part due to the reductive EQ. It's the bass knob that is the magic stuff. Turning up bass and Treble actually reduces those frequencies. Noon on the bass knob turns out to be perfect for eliminating mud with 6L6 and 6v6 amps. For EL84 amps (many being somewhat light on the bass), I'll set the Tim bass knob to 9:30 or 10 oclock.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  17. RocknRollShakeUp

Very interesting...
    yeah I really like my Gain Changer, I have the latest, SR, version, it kicked the Light speed off my board as I found the LS slightly mid scooped and I wasn’t looking for that, but the LS is a good pedal to have around.

18. RocknRollShakeUp

Thank you for a most wonderful explanation... interestingly at one point I was running my always on GainChanger into my Lightspeed that I also used as a 2nd Gain stage/boost.

Well anyway the Tim/my is so legendary I may try one out at some point.

mad dog likes this.
  19. markal

markal Tele-Holic

it’s worth noting that with the MXR Timmy, the bass and treble are NOT cut controls, they’re traditional controls

20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I have the Caline Timmy clone, the Pure Sky. I have no idea how close it is to a real Timmy - apparently the circuit is missing some diodes and other things, and also the bass / treble are conventional, but it also reportedly sounds close.

Regardless, it sounds really rather good into my Vox Ac top Boost channel amp. That's why I bought it, as Timmy's are one of the few that are reputed to work well in Top Boosts. I have no idea why I don't use it more.

Anyway, although I have no need for any more dirt boxes right now, I suspect a Timmy is probably something I'll get one day, as the seem very nice, esp. into the amps I like.

Congrats.

Pax/
    Dean

markal likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.