Finally, a CV tele and a little something!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 8eighty, Jul 29, 2014.

1. 8eighty

8eighty TDPRI Member

Kind of an interesting story - I've been tele-less for a couple of years, thought about getting either a baja or this one. the champ's been on my mind for ages, too. The GAS was unbearable.

So I walk in to get something sorted out on an acoustic and end up spotting the amp first by accident, decided to get it right away because i couldn't find a used model. And i noticed the only BSB in stock, picked it up and that was it. Never bought something just by picking it up, don't think this was an impulse buy - it's extremely heavy and resonant, which i really like and plays great, awesome grain and finish. check out the QC tag on it too :lol: The amp is a little hum-ish but i dig it. The tele feels a lot sturdier and better built than my CV strat, which sounds great but is a ***** to set up properly. Anyways i've been working all summer and it was time for a little treat, a sort of a new mini rig day!

The last one's a family picture cause I haven't made one in ages!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. dsginzen

dsginzen Tele-Meister

Heavy grain on that one. Interesting look.

Congrats!

3. stevelaw_11

stevelaw_11 TDPRI Member

Yowzas that's a transparent finish.
    Looks more like bare wood than BSB. Very nice!

4. 8eighty

8eighty TDPRI Member

Yep, but the laquer looks kinda milky.

No hum on the champion, it was just the lights from the store. Now I'm very impressed, it's a great combo and they sound very warm and twangy together. Really digging the neck pup, neck is thin and very similar to the neck on the CV strat, but it's wider, pretty comfortable.

forgot how good thinner strings could be for finger picking, but it's buzzy on the thicker strings, haven't messed with a tele in ages, dunno if i should tighten the rod, gonna put some 10s on it now, any advice?

5. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Put the 10s in first, then adjust the truss rod, after letting the neck settle for a few hours to a day. Usually going up a string gauge doesn't make that huge of a difference in neck relief, but occasionally it does - and the CVs do have thin necks.

6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Awesome grain on that one. Enjoy.

7. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

My thoughts exactly - love the look of that one!

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

+1 ~ Definitely one of the nicer, more unique looking CV BSBs I've seen!

Congrats on the amp, too.

9. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

I could play that set up for the rest of my days! I only know that because, although my set up was a bit more $$, it is pretty much the same! Enjoy!!!

10. tonecrush

tonecrush TDPRI Member

I have that model and it's a great Tele. One thing I was warned about, that turned out to be true, it has a chip happy finish on a soft pine body. I don't baby mine and after 2 years it has road rash. I do like it though so I don't bother to handle with care. ENJOY!

11. 8eighty

8eighty TDPRI Member

Thanks guys! I'm loving it so far, but there's way too much string buzz and it's coming through the amps. Pretty much after each fretted note, even with gentle picking or finger picking.

I measured everything and it's still setup according to the (fender) specs on the QC card. Thought that it was buzzy because of the stock 9s but i strung it up with 10s last night and it's the same. Should I add more relief? I forgot that 10s on a tele can feel like 11s on other guitars, and I usually play 11s with a slightly higher action but i don't wanna raise it on the tele because it feels really comfortable this way (12/17th fret 1.6mm, 4/64'')

The CV60s strat that i have has the same problem and i'm starting to think it's either cause the neck is too thin or the nut is crap. Any advice? Should i add a shim or swap the nuts on both? I'm guessing this is a common issue with the CV series.

12. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

If you want to keep the action that way, try adjusting the neck for almost no relief then raising the saddles till the buzz is gone or acceptable to you. I find that to be the best way to get the action resonably low all the way up the neck. More relief will allow a more buzz free sound in the lower positions but create a much higher action up high and tendancy to fret out on high register bends. This all being stated assuming you adjust the saddles after each neck adjustment.

13. 8eighty

8eighty TDPRI Member

Thanks, considered this before and i set up the strat like that, but it's still buzzing. I think i'm just gonna wait it out for the tele and see what happens with the 10s, and take them both to a tech. Can't seem to find the sweet spot to set it up so that it can handle both light and harsh picking and not buzz on the lower notes...

anyways, went a little off topic with all the fret buzz talk, it's a great tele and it totally lives up to the hype :p

14. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

Beautiful combo!! Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.