1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finally 5 watt amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 440mhz, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Well, since last fall, I've being looking to find a 5 watt amp that wouldn't break the bank. I've looked at a lot of Fender 5 watt amps. I hesitate because it seems the first thing owners do upgrade the speaker and or tubes at additional cost. I had some Tele partscasters I was listing for sale to help bare the costs. I was contacted by a buyer about a trade for a Crate 5v, 5 watt amp. I did a quick check on the Net to get some reviews. I'm seems people love or hate them. We hooked up the Tele had had to his amp, seemed a bit too much treble not enough bass, anyhow we made a straight swap. The first thing I did was disconnect the 30 watt 8 ohm speaker and I connected it to the speaker in my Champion 50 xl which has a Celestion Midnight 60 watt 16 ohm speaker. What a difference! 100 % better tone, nice high and great bottom end.
    I'm looking at replacing the speaker in the Crate with an Eminence 1058 10 " speaker. One question I have to ask since the ohms are different 8-16 will it hurt the amp or speaker. while I wait to get a new one. Thanks. IMG_20200720_111237.jpg

Mike M likes this.
  2. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

some will tell you that an impedance mismatch is ok but it's best to match them. if your amp needs to see an 8 ohm load, then give it one.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Match the ohms.

4. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you are buying from Eminence, just contact them to make your 1058 with the correct impedance. They do it all the time, and it's like a $5 adder (or something like that). But, you do have to contact them directly. I did that with a Red Fang 10C that I had in a Vox.

- Bob

440mhz likes this.
  5. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Thanks for replies, I plan to buy an Eminence 1058 10" 75 watts 8 ohms.

6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Cool amp.

440mhz likes this.
  7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I once made the mistake of asking a similar question about impedance mismatching. Bottom line, nobody knows. Half of people say it's okay, the other half say it's going to destroy the Earth.

And both sides have scientific data to back up their positions.

9. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The tl;dr I've found with impedance is this: vintage Fender, most likely okay. Marshall, don't do it.

Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.