1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Filtertrons and Strats, do they play well together?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tommyd73069, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

I asked this over at S-T and got bubbcus, so I thought I'd try here, too.

I've been gassing for a Cabronita-ish guitar for the last week or two. I just built a tele and wound my own pickups for it, from Stew-Mac kits. Turned out killer. But, as I'm looking at a few Tele's I've run across the Cabronita. I don't want another tele right now. I'm diggin' mine for now.

What I have is an 'extra' Strat. It's a Squier SE with a fat neck that I like and a custom paint job that I did. It's got Nico's vintage 50's in it and they are average. Nothing spectacular and not much different than my other two. It doesn't get much play because it doesn't offer anything different. Of the other two, I keep one in standard and the other in Eb. They both get played, as a result. But, 'Beauty' is the odd gal out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I'm thinking of putting a pair of Filtertrons or TV Jones in it and giving it a Gretsch-y sound. A good friend of mine has a 5122. It's the reason I finally broke down, after 30 years of acoustic nonsense, got an electric guitar and got serious about learning to really play it.

So, do they mix well together? I'm sure there are several floating around out there. I'm no guitar genius. If I can think of it, I'm usually one of 42 million that already thought of it.

2. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

For what it's worth, i've got a set of Retrotrons by GFS in my Epiphone DelRey. It's got the 25 1/2" scale bolt neck like a strat. These sound good in that guitar, but it's not a strat

3. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

I put a TV Jones Classic in the bridge of a partscaster and it works with SD SSL-1's:

[​IMG]

I have used mine as a back up to either a Tele or a SG. I go back and forth on selling it or parting out, but it keeps hanging around... :)

TV Jones makes great pickups. I say try it!

4. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

I had a Power'tron in the bridge of my strat and loved it. Vintage bridge spacing so I wound up angling it to line it up.... maybe not necessary... and if you're using two with no middle pickup you could move it up further away from the bridge. I had pretty hot pickups in neck and middle and they blended well. That body is currently sitting pickup-less and I'm thinking of doing two classics in it. Lollar also make a filter type pickup that I believe has wider spacing as well. I love TV Jones stuff though, and he's a great dude to boot, can't say enough about them.

5. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

That's a good looking Thinline Strat, you got there. Standard HSS pickguard or did you cut it from SSS? Caps? Pots?

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

You could ask Vince Gill. I saw him in concert in January, and he played one of these. After some research, the builder sent this picture of the guitar he made for Vince. Dr. Mojo is the builder, and he's working on more for Vince.
    [​IMG]

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great idea!
    TV Jones makes the best sounding pickups, IMO.
    I got a hankerin' for one of the light blue EJ Strats with
    a couple of Jones Supertrons.
    Cool lookin' guitars, ddhr and bullfrogblues!

8. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

That is a killer look. Really diggin' the pickguard. That's a great pairing.

9. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

Thanks tommyd. It's a GFS HSS pickguard (the Classic has the 'english' mount). I can't remember what caps are in there (I had a tech wire it) and I know he used CTS pots and I *think* he put in a 500 for the TVJ tone and 250s on the other tone and volume. I also asked for a superswitch wired for N, NM, NB, MB, B selections.

It's a chambered Warmouth body with a couple coats of Polywipe and one of the old '62RI replacement necks Fender used to sell.

10. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

So your going to take the quackiest sounding strat of all then drop humbuckers into it....

11. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i'm a big fan of filtertrons in any guitar. i've had tv jones classics in my main tele for years and absolutely love them. lately, however, i'm starting to think the new fender model gretsch filtertrons sound a little better. the tv jones classics have a great single coil-esque jangle to them... but the new gretsch models have a great midrange bark. the gretsch ones are much less expensive too.

also, tommyd... that is a beautiful finish on that strat! i'm not usually a fan of the weird-colored bursts... but that is gorgeous!

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy Delta 63.
    I don't care much for "quack", assuming you mean position 2 and 4
    on a Strat 5 way switch.
    I'm more than a little burned out on those tones.
    TV Jones pickups and the new Fidelitrons both sound great.
    I have 3 guitars with these pickups.
    Two have TV Jones, one has Fidelitrons.
    Clear, quiet and full sounding, perfect for me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.