Filtertron or HB for Tele Neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TelecastrMastr, Sep 16, 2020.

1. TelecastrMastr

TelecastrMastr TDPRI Member

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well! Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a Logan ‘72 custom style Tele that I absolutely LOVE. Bob Logan does the best work you can imagine as many of you know. When I had it built I opted for a BKP Piledriver in the bridge which I love, and a Gibson Burstbucker Pro in the neck which is way too high output and way too dark.

I don’t want to reroute the guitar or figure out if I can get a new pickguard made and shielded for the guitar, so I’m looking into Humbuckers and HB sized Filtertron pickups.

I’ve never owned a Filtertron, but I love the unique single coil-esque chime they have, but I wonder how well it would work with the Alnico 5 bridge pickup.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m also totally open to lower output / bright humbuckers. I will say I have an Alnico 2 set in a Jazzmaster and I almost feel that’s too low though.

Thanks again, friends!

2. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I would go for the HS Filtertron. It's the favorite humbucker of this Tele nut.

El Tele Lobo and TelecastrMastr like this.
  3. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Low wind humbucker or even a mini. A3 or A4 magnets for less low end and a bit of presence. Even a Melody Maker pickup is a good match. The output matches the bridge better. EQ'ing a dark humbucker and a bright tele pickup at the amp is an exercise in frustration. Been there, done that...

4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

I have had a couple of Gretsch guitars over the years. Either a Filtertron or a Supertron can get that sound in the neck. That would be a cool set up for a Tele.

5. TelecastrMastr

Convince me! What do you like so much about it?

Also the HS Filtertron is from Gretsch, yeah? Is it Humbucker sized?... is that what HS stands for? Haha

6. TelecastrMastr

It’s the only exercise I’ve gotten since the lockdown

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

has anyone tried a DiMarzio "Humbucker from Hell"?

A5 magnets, 42 and 43 wire wound to 5.96k, 2.27 henries

I love HS Filtertrons in my Gretsch

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I, too, am not a big fan of buckers, but love Filtertrons. TV Jones makes some in a humbucker footprint. Getcha some!

TelecastrMastr and Cali Dude like this.
  9. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

High Sensitivity Filtertron is a Gretsch product. Full, warm, and clear. Very touch sensitive, can twang like nobody's bizniz. Great played clean. Great flogged filthy.
    I think some variety if adaptive surround rings are used for Gibby sized HB routs.

TokyoPortrait and Cali Dude like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Both are great, but I prefer Filtertrons.
    My favorite is a TV Jones Supertron.

Cali Dude likes this.
  11. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Out of the options you mentioned, I'd go a lower output humbucker. I love the filtertron sound, but I'm biased towards them being in pairs - if it was an HH guitar id say F'trons all day.

If you were soliciting alternative ideas, I'd also throw a P90 or a Firebird pickup (as opposed to a mini humbucker) in the ring.

Zepfan, TelecastrMastr and ndcaster like this.
  12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

13. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I put a Dimarzio DP211 humbucker into a vintage tele - it's an Eric Johnson lower output model. Am using 250K pots, have plenty of treble, is very articulate and doesn't overpower the bridge p/u like most HB do.

Almost sounds a bit Gretsch but not really. Already have a Counry Gent from 73 so didn't really want to use a Filtertron. Have an Area T noiseless at the bridge - is better than the 68 tele original and works well with the HB neck plus silent for recording.

Had a Gibson PAF from 1971 in there for a while - didn't like it. Would imagine that a Burstbucker has the same problem with too much bottom end on the A and E string.

I like low output pickups, run the amps high and the guitar volume barely on most of the time. Am usually in stereo with 2 amps split-out through a stereo chorus pedal with minimal effect.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    ndcaster likes this.
  14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

agreed, I'd love to have a pair of Rob's Firebirds, but I don't have a guitar to put them in

Veitchy likes this.
  15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Here is a comparison between Tele pickups.

16. Tonyapple

Tonyapple TDPRI Member

I have a TV Jones Classic Filtertron in the neck of my tele (SD Broadcaster in the bridge). The filtertron is great. Everything i was looking for in a tele neck pickup. It can be smooth and sweet sounding but kick on a little gain and it really goes. I went through a few bridge pickups before finding the right balance, however. This is my go to guitar now. It is quite versatile. Everyone on Gretschtalk seems to really recommend the HS Filtertron humbucker size if u are looking for a drop in replacement.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A TVJ Classic Filtertron neck pickup or a vintage style Firebird pickup would be my choice.

18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone's tone taste is different, so what works for me may not work for you. I've tried a bunch of buckers in my tele, but only one Filtertron type pup, a TV Jones Classic. While I liked it, for my taste I much prefer the Lollar Low Wind Imperial that's lived there for the past few years. Seth Lover and Antiquity were also great.

19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Yeah, those Lollar Imperial HBs are amazing pickups. I love mine too.

20. RnB

RnB Tele-Meister

I’ve gone from a Hmbkr...to a Fralin P-92 & lastly to a Gibson P-94. Great sounding pup!
    Coupled that w/ a Dimarzio Hot T (DP-413) at the bridge.
    Flltertrons & Gold Foils have long appealed to me but haven’t gone up that avenue yet? C6546919-6D31-4299-93BB-97AB1761A9C8.jpeg

Not exactly sure what pup Bill Frizell has in the neck spot, but sure like the sound he gets from it...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.