Filtertron advice wanted

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by sleazy pot pie, Oct 12, 2018.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are different 'Tron mounts, so not sure.
    Just measured the BT I have here and the ears are 3-5/16 outside to outside and the overall pickup body is 2-3/4

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks schmee
    Body should be here by the end of next week, neck should be here by the end of this week
    Need to order a wraparound bridge and decide on pickups

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I see you're still around and even on today, so not worried about the zombie factor!

What pickups did you choose?
    Do you like your end result?

I just bought a used recent Gretsch HS Filtertorn on the Gretsch forum for $60 shipped including a set of TV jones mounting tabs, but it arrived with some severe deformity due to the former owners attempt to remove the extended base ends.
    I'm eager to hear it and chose it after so many posters reported that the HS sounded so close to the TVJ Classic, with some even preferring the cheaper HS.

4. telemnemonics

C6F19243-A552-4EFF-AE98-7A7D97D36D28.jpeg F7EF69FD-4516-488F-B5E1-58F31D08BBE1.jpeg In order to straighten the base so the TV Jones tabs will fit, I need to pull the cover. I’ve pulled and installed lots of soldered pickup covers but this one is fighting me. Soldering iron struggled soi gave it a new tip, couldn’t liquefy the solder enough to remove some with a solder sucker, melted it enough Tory the seal loose on one side and the solder finally chose to flow just in time to fill the pride open gap.
    Set it aside for the night and drilled the headstock for new tuners...

5. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I hear nothing but accolades for the TV offerings, but I have a set of HS Filtertrons that came in a used Gretsch. They a staying right there. Extremely versatile!

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I've heard that a soldering gun isn't the right tool for larger surfaces, better a higher power iron with a flat tip to melt that solder on the covers. Also, it is possible that the manufacturer is using lead free solder these days, which takes more heat to melt in the first place. I bought a 100 watt cheap Chinese straight iron some years ago for those more difficult solder jobs and it works great, a lower wattage pencil is used for basic wiring stuff.
    Al

7. telemnemonics

I only use a low watt pencil type iron for fine four conductor HB wiring and do everything else with the 100/ 140w iron.

It has removed/ replaced many HB covers, but this one filtertron just refused to let go.
    Could be the lead free solder but I've desoldered recent HBs without trouble.
    Might have just been having a bad day!

I do covet all my old spools of hazardous solder too...
    (used with an exhaust fan)

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cut the solder with a thin blade.

I've even used a screwdriver, but it bends the cover.

9. dodona

dodona Tele-Meister

take a look at rockinger.com

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.