1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Filter cap brands?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Lloyd89, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Lloyd89

Lloyd89 TDPRI Member

Will different brands of filter caps make a difference in the tone of a Ab 165 bassman? What caps are my best bang for buck?

2. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Any quality, brand name cap. To me, Xicon is a little too cheap to be the best deal. The Illinois Capacitor stuff is mostly okay, but we've been seeing some counterfeit or otherwise substandard grade stuff with that brand this last year. The ones with the bold print seem okay still, the ones with the hazy printing go bad fast. The black Sprague branded caps have been good - nice long, heavy copper leads and proven reliable. F&T is good stuff, may be more expensive depending on source. I haven't used the JJ branded ones enough to have an opinion. Probably good.

When any of those are fresh and healthy it won't make a difference in the tone. I'll stand by that one. It's when they go bad that they make a big difference.

3. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

4. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I've been really happy with Nichicons.

5. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I have been using F&T with good results.

6. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I re-capped my Marshall 2204 with JJs about seven or eight years ago now, and it's still running strong with moderate use.

That's why when I built my own 2204 about five years into that time, I went with the JJs again. Good price, no hiccups.

I have heard of builders getting some bad ones, but those same builders were quick to point out that they've gotten bad caps from most other brands too.

7. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

I have been using Illinois caps without any problems and when I can, I like to use JJ can caps they are very good caps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.