Filling in bad neck pocket

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by highwaycat, Sep 21, 2021.

1. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

This is a squier se, worst neck pocket I’ve probably seen.
    What if I filled the pocket with some sort of auto body filler then level it with my checkering files?
    Any tips?

3617F7F9-0BFB-45B5-B42F-2AF68511198A.jpeg 19BA1FFA-D096-403C-A044-3A9DBA2F9A6D.jpeg 13F158F5-B0D7-41E3-80AB-98002B72ADF3.jpeg

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah.... I've got a 70's body that, as the story goes, the strat was basically thrown out the 3rd story window by a PO'd girlfriend in the mid-80's and it has a pocket similar to yours. I haven't started working on it yet, but I was planning on using some wood filler to level it out. Maybe some of the experts out here might have some better suggestions.

highwaycat likes this.
  3. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I might use an epoxy wood-dust blend with a packing-tape caul to press it flat. Body filler can do weird stuff- it might eat into the finish or off-gas over time (?)

highwaycat likes this.
  4. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

That gives me an idea so sometimes the neck pocket shatters when the guitar falls over.

These guitars come with the neck mounting screw holes threading into the body and neck, so people like to drill the squier’s body holes bigger so the neck mounting screws only bite into the neck heel.

But this might if left the factory like this, who knows.

I heard guitars with the threaded neck inserts can shatter the neck pocket if the guitar falls over. Maybe same for how the body holes are drilled from the factory?

5. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you are skilled with a wood chisel, you could shave down the worst of it and glue in a maple shim to fill it. Otherwise, epoxy should work.

MTPoteet, Matthias and Dunedin2019 like this.
  6. Crawdady_54

Crawdady_54 TDPRI Member

Had the same problem, bought a guitar from cash converter, cheap and nasty just something to muck around with, trying to pull it apart some d/head glued the neck into the pocket, as it was a Strat style guitar i eventually worked it loose , but the problem was part of the pocket went with the neck leaving crater, had a mate who was a carpenter, he filled it with bog and routed it out I'd say 99.9% perfect, the neck however was a different story

7. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Instead of regular 2-part epoxy, I would probably use a 2-part epoxy called fairing compound. Easy to mix and spreads easier than peanut butter.

View attachment 901322

Attached Files:

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

Almost looks like the neck was painted and still wet when the neck was mounted. Later, someone removed the tick neck and t pulled the wood away.

It won't really make a bit of difference but, you can fill with bondo or even some 5 minute epoxy which will self-level. Just squeegee either material as smooth as possible before it sets up to minimize the sanding.

I wouldn't bother and would just lightly sand the inner corners of the pocket to get a clean mating surface and not worry about the chipout.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As long as the neck seats properly there's no reason to do anything with that neck pocket.

beagle, Nick Fanis and Matthias like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are the "high spots" creating a flat surface for the neck to rest on?? (3 points define a plane)
    If so, play it. My 98 MIM Strat is my #1 guitar, but it ain't pretty in there either!

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The depth and angle of the neck pocket is somewhat critical for getting the geometry of the guitar right. If I was going to repair that I would route the pocket deeper and flat, then glue in a shim the correct thickness to bring it back to spec. Most of the other suggestions will work too.

Cyberi4n, fuzz guy, Boreas and 2 others like this.
  12. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

I would'nt over think it. Epoxy, JBweld...anything that is good and solid and doesn't compress. Fill it flush, block sand it flush, measure for same depth all around & good to go.

Eric

13. Boreas

I agree. Yes, one could just leave it alone, but it will be a "softer" neck joint since there is about half of the usual material there to stabilize the neck. The existing wood could have a tendency to squash under pressure/twisting. I agree with replacing the wood with a maple shim, but any hard filler would be better than nothing. Regardless, it would also be a good idea to FIRST get rid of any appreciable finish build-up in the pocket, then fill the damage and adjust the pocket if needed.

14. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

titebond and sawdust - in glue and dust we always trust

Matthias likes this.
  15. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

The cleanest job would be to route it deeper, glue in a thicker shim and route it to specs, as others have suggested

jfgesquire and Boreas like this.
  16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a problem with the way your neck is aligned when mounted?

If not, then leave it alone.

beagle likes this.
  17. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It looks to me there’s simply some wood damage when the body was made and being a cheaper guitar, it passed QA. If it plays and sets up OK, I would leave it.

Otherwise, I add a vote for wood filler/glue and sawdust of some description should do. If the idea is just to give it a touch more stability, I’d look to something easy to work and clean up. Anything too hard to sand and you could find yourself overworking the pocket.

But I can’t see it being that unstable.

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This and only this, unless you have OCD that won't allow you to sleep at night because your thoughts will be consumed by what lies UNDER the heel of your Squier's neck :D

Boreas likes this.
  19. Boreas

It isn't even my guitar and I have had trouble sleeping...

20. MTPoteet

MTPoteet Tele-Meister

Or use a router.

Boreas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.