1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Filling/fixing a nasty headstock ding

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Billkwando, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

I wanted to ask here first, because I respect the knowledge and opinions of folks here above any other forum. I got a gorgeous guitar that I've wanted for a long time, a Fernandes Love Driver, but it's got one noticeable flaw. There's a nasty ding/gouge in the corner of the headstock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a very high gloss finish. I know normally for headstock dents, folks use nail polish (I also have gloss poly laying around), but I'm worried about filling a hole like that with nothing but clear coat, that it's going to yellow. I previously considered running a piece of masking tape around that corner and just shooting it with poly to bring it up level...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Bill

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That damage will never disappear. I would seal it with some clear..build it up and then carefully level and polish it out. That decal is close.....I might not even worry about anything except sealing it.

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

The hardest part about repairing that will be that the decal is so close. Bringing that up to level with drops of poly will take quite a few drops. Then you will have to level it out and get the edge shaped. I would shape it by scraping with a razor blade, it gives me more control than sandpaper or a file. When you are done it will still be visible, so I would probably just seal it with some kind of finish and call it done.

4. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

Clear shellac stick dripped in with an alcohol lamp might work if you're careful. I've seen piano tops repaired this way.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

LOVE DRIVERS!

[​IMG]

6. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

What about light colored wood filler? Whatever I do, I'm going to masking tape over the decal and leave only the corner exposed. I've refinished and decal-ed a few headstocks (I actually sell headstock decals...was selling a love driver decal before I even owned one! LOL). I'm comfortable in that area... if the guitar had a big ding in the paint, it would've been a "no thank you". I also thought about gluing a piece of toothpick in there to help fill the hole before covering. Hahahahahaha

The fact that I don't know what an alcohol lamp is aside (lol), would the clear shellac yellow, like poly likely would (when applied that thick/deep)?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wood filler would never match the color, and you still have to sand it level which will be difficult (i.e. not possible) so close to the decal.

"Shellac stick" is something used by furniture repair people to drop fill areas, you have to melt it and smear it in and try to level it as it cures, then sand level and buff out the area - and the last step is going to be a problem with your decal.

8. R00STER

R00STER TDPRI Member

"Love driver" sounds like a euphemism for something

Billkwando likes this.
  9. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Battle scar....seal it and leave it alone.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  10. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

+1. It looks cool.

Paul Jenkin and gtrjunior like this.
  11. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+2. It's the first step.

gtrjunior likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Sealing the ding to prevent further deterioration of the finish is a basic. That would do it for me. The only way to make that injury disappear as much as possible is to remove more wood to allow a fresh piece of maple to be fitted in, shaped and refinished. It is not worth that trouble, IMHO.

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I would just seal "OR NOT" and play the livin' strings and frets off that guitar! :D I mean there's already another scuff/smaller ding up near the "horn/curve" of the headstock, soooo..........
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

gtrjunior likes this.
  14. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

Shhhhhhh! It'll hear you!

*covers guitar's ears*

:p

15. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

LOL sorry for the double post, I missed this. Did you notice at the end of the headstock where it says "Original Erotic Body"? Haha

I have a Love Driver pedal too:

Mine is complete, with the "Mouth" and "Anal" stickers DOD provided as an option for folks to put over "Input" and "Output"....probably because Ken wanted that printed on them and DOD likely said "Hell no".

Ken is crazy.

16. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

nice guitar

i had too look close to see the ding

i wouldnt bother messing with it.

good news tho you cant see it when youre playing it!

Billkwando likes this.
  17. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

fill/seal it with superglue, maybe you can build up al layer so the hole will flatten out

Billkwando likes this.
  18. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

So, nearly 2 years later, I finally got around to working on this headstock ding. I'm a little leery of superglue, because it dries so fast, and the potential for mess. I'd be too worried about getting it elsewhere on the headstock, plus I had a plan in mind to re-form that squished corner, and I didn't think it would be possible to do it, at least the way I was envisioning, with glue.

I did end up using DAP Plastic Wood, as you can see in the video. I'd actually bought it around the time I made this thread, but kept putting it off for one reason or another. Y'all know how it is.

I wasn't able to match the color perfectly, but I got close, and I think it will darken and blend in better with age. Otherwise, I think it turned out really well. I always enjoy these weird guitar projects. Once I set my mind to doing something, project wise, I normally find a way to make it happen. It's a great feeling to put a project to bed, knowing you did all you could do. Even when it's not a 100% success, you learn in the process... and when you do it right, you get the satisfaction of seeing the thing you imagined & planned made real.

19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Chances are that you're the only one who will notice or care about this. Everything gets a ding or three over time, so I'd just see this as part of that process and not be too distracted by it.

Think of it this way, the time you spend trying to repair or disguise that ding is time you could be using to play it.

20. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

Well, as I mentioned, the main goal was to protect the raw spot. I figured I might as well make a project of it while I'm at it, to see how close I could get to "erasing" the damage. I have other dinged guitars. My Rickenbacker 360 looks like somebody dropped a hatchet on the back of the headstock (I got it that way). The paint is still there so I don't care. :) Like most folks, I have guitars with damage that I am happy to accept and live with.

I just figured I'd try out the DAP stuff so that the next person, who might have to make a more crucial repair, might have a better idea how to use the stuff for detailed work on an instrument.

I have a personal thing where I try to learn how to do something on YouTube, and if it's not there, I figure it out on my own....but I try to make a video for the next person who is looking for what I was looking for. That's pretty much the pattern with all of my guitar/project related YouTube videos. At the same time I'm patching holes in my guitar, I'm also patching holes in YouTube. ;)

I tried to allude to that in my previous post, since I was already well aware that the general consensus was basically "Rawr, don't bother. It adds character". I was trying to make clear that (while I appreciate that point of view) I came back after all this time to close the loop on this thread for the folks who are googling for the same thing I was. If I'm looking for it, somebody else is too, so not everybody subscribes to that point of view. I still can't believe there are people out there who are willing to pay a professional to beat up their guitar, aka "relic-ing".

Also, I hate googling something and finding a thread on a forum that's the exact problem/thing I'm looking for, but just dies with no resolution. Even worse, I hate it when I find someone with the same problem/question I have, and then they just reply "Solved!" without bothering to say what they did to solve the problem they posted about. Those are such a waste of time! I'm sure that has happened to everyone here at some point.

You're right about time spent working on it is time spent not playing, but I have plenty of reasons to procrastinate, so one of them might as well be useful to others. :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.