Fill-in gigs

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by fendrguitplayr, Aug 4, 2019.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Do you do them? How often?

I'm doing one today with a band that I've never met and only got a song list
    with the keys they do them in a week ago. It's an evening gig at a town common
    in Stoughton, MA.

The songs seems easy enough so I think it will go well, despite not
    knowing the other guys or rehearsing with them.

I like the idea of only having to sing 6 or 7 songs because the others all sing.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Yep...got one Aug 16, Woodstock Anniversary thing, been shedding the tunes over the last couple weeks. I like sub gigs, do ‘em any chance I get.

brookdalebill and fendrguitplayr like this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Filling in is really intereting. I don t do it, but when i ve done it it was fun. Just keep your ears open for the band leader. especially when he points at you and screams saxophone though you re playing the guitar.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I have done it.
    Mixed bag.
    Sometimes good, sometimes Not Good!

I had to reconcile myself to the fact that I was Not their First Choice.
    It was the end of the road as soon as I showed up.

5. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

All the time! :) I work regularly playing fiddle with two bands around DFW and do out of town gigs with them when needed. They keep me with at least a gig or two a month, both bands get some pretty good gigs, and everyone in both bands have a great time. Over time I have started picking up sub gigs from recommendations by other musicians I have worked with. I have worked about 7 or 8 this year, and have at least one more to do in a couple of months. I enjoy working sub gigs, and I feel honored when I get called back to sub again with the same band (being 18, getting recommended by the pros and most notably: the other fiddle players I have talked with who have showed me the techniques when I started is pretty big stuff for me!). :D
    I enjoy working sub and meeting new bands around the local music scene all the time.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love them! Always fun to do new stuff with new people. Unless they suck... lol.

Did a fill in gig with a blues band recently and they hired me for the rest of the year. Filled a ton of open fall and winter dates I had lingering. Can’t beat that!

7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Sometimes if you are in a no gig week and have the live playing itch. Last time I did I was asked to join the band as a permanent member but I had to politely refuse... I like that band for a one night stand not for a everyday thing and have too more projects going on that I could not attend them properly

But from time to time is a lot of fun!!! Getting out of your confort zone

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d say 50% of the gigs I do are fill in/sub gigs.
    I love, and depend on them.
    I’m rarely out of my depth, and I usually enjoy them.
    I also rarely regret taking them, though sometimes I accept gigs from really, uh, inexperienced leaders.
    I’m a first call sub in lots of bands.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  9. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

At the end of the day, it beats flipping burgers. The biggest thing is to do the homework prior to the gig. Getting sub work isn't about being a flashy player, its about doing homework, making sure your equipment preforms reliably, making sound check/ bus call on time, and being a cool person to hang out with.

fendrguitplayr and drlucky like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.