Fights at gigs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Reverb Dude, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Reverb Dude

Reverb Dude Tele-Meister

I just had an awesome gig turn bad. I really haven't played out much over the last few years and tonight was a special occasion, special until the fight broke out.

Fights suck, um kay?

2. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

Oh, yeah? Wait until you play a birthday party and the guest of honor pulls a pistol and threatens to kill himself!

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We used to play hard fast rock until the last set then would slow it down to bring the crowd back down to earth , this worked 99% of the time

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Should you have rehearsed more? ;)

What happened?

5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

And this is serious too. That earlier idea of a quitter last set will help.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

About 30 years ago, I was helping some friends out with their first real gig, just outa the city, in a small town. They were nervous, pausing far too often, between songs, just barely out of their teens. The locals are getting drunk & restless, saying things, so I snap back at one of 'em...the bar manager, conveniently kicks me out of the place, along with the local, loudmouth. You know what's gonna happen & this is what he wanted, an excuse to fire the boys. The bigmouth is drunk & takes a swing at me, with my buddy & the manager watching. I dropped the guy with one punch, going back inside, seeing the knocked out guy's brother, laughing at me. The bandleader blames me for losing them the gig? I'm scarred sh_tless, cuz the unconscious guy's brother, has Schwarzenegger arms & friends. We had to go back the next day to tear down...thankfully, there were no surprises.

7. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I work at a pretty nice club and we have bands every night. Fights are rare among our clientele (mostly older folks--older being 40's-60's). About the only fights I've actually seen in the past couple of years were with the bands themselves. One time a lead singer/band owner punched out the bass player and then brawled on the dance floor, and the other was another band where the drummer and keyboard player brawled on stage as soon as their set ended.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Those were the days. Good times.

I remember figuring out how to stare down someone without making eye contact.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've been gigging for 42 years, so I have seen a few brawls.
    Thankfully, I only recall a total of about 5 fights.
    Only a few were "serious", none fatal, and I was involved with a two.
    The worst was at a now defunct place called the Side Saddle in the late 70s.
    A drunk guy (surprise) literally picked up two women simultaneously, and carried them to the dance floor.
    The women protested vociferously.
    Another male patron came to their rescue, mercilessly pounding the guy.
    The would be Tony Manero got his eye dislocated, and was literally drug by his heels out of the swinging doors of the joint.
    My two are less dramatic, hardly Donnybrooks.
    When I was in my late 20s, I was hit on the side of my head, with a mostly full can of Bud, by a much older guy.
    He thought I was flirting with his much younger girlfriend.
    I wasn't, and I did not retaliate, and the guy was unceremoniously "bounced".
    The other was outside a club in Pr. George, BC, circa 1995.
    Naughty words were exchanged, a punch was thrown, and my aggressor/transgressor took a brief nap.
    Not smart, not pretty.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

11. elbohead

elbohead Tele-Meister

I played a gig last year where the singer's brother got really messed up and decided to join the band on stage. The club owner tried to remove him, but they ended up in a brawl on the dance floor. The best part was when mom (77 years old) jumped in to save junior and all went crashing into tables.

Still can't believe they actually paid us that night AND asked us back.

12. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Alcohol plus a-holes equals fight.

13. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I saw and sometimes broke up fights fairly regularly when I was a bartender. I would always be angry not because of the fight, but because if I was breaking up a fight it meant security was probably distracted talking to girls while I bartend and break up fights lol. I must be scary when I am mad at security guys because usually they would stop when I arrived yelling at them to cut the C&@p and pushing them back. Plus by that time a 280 pound football player was probably in view finally on his way :p
    Girl fights too, and they were often more vicious than the guys. Girls don't stop fighting like most guys do when people break it up.
    The most serious I saw was a guy who was clobbered with a beer bottle. Surprisingly he was conscious, and continued to sort of defend himself, even though his face and head were pretty completely covered with blood. That was one of the ones I broke up, since it happened right in front of me, and they stopped when I jumped the bar and was yelling at them :p I know it sounds weird, but they did haha. The bottle wielder did sucker punch him in the lull and security finally arrived and removed them both.
    Looking back I am lucky I never got sucker punched.

14. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I remember some very serious fights when I was playing in Texas, and one particular scary event that could have been very deadly, but wound up in a heavily armed Mexican Standoff. Fortunately, never was any of our band members involved, just drunken patrons of the bar (except the standoff where no one was drinking.) One club I used to hang out at and gig had people sent to hospital and jail after fights more times than I can recall. It seemed like it happened at least once a week.

I did play one gig at a roadhouse outside Houston that had chicken wire around the stage, but we had no fights or surprises the one time we played that place.

Since I moved to Chicagoland, I have not seen a single fight in a nightclub.

15. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Did a club-gig outside Montreal and the chairs were flying across the room - huge fight broke out.

One dummy threatened to come after me on the stage so I took a swing at him with my tele...makes a good baseball bat. He chickened out. I probably missed cracking his head open by a couple of inches but only wanted to back him down which it did.

Never did a gig behind chicken-wire - is that normal in clubs down south ?

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

You done Keef proud!

17. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I played a Halloween party this year, my first gig. In the middle of a song a fight broke out. Crazy. It felt like I had gone back in time 25 years to high school. Wtf?

18. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

No, chicken wire is not something you see often. I only saw it at that one roadhouse, never before or since, except in the Blues Brothers movie.

19. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I play at church and have often wondered what it would be like if a fight broke out while we were playing.

20. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

no it is not common, but worked in roadhouse and the blues brothers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.