1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fifth Annual 'What did you get this year?' thread

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

I gave in to temptation and ordered a Fender Limited Edition Player Stratocaster from Adorama during the Black Friday sales. I always wanted a Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster! I love the chunky neck, the satin finish on the back of the neck, the nice tall frets, and most of all the finish color. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

[​IMG]

2. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sheesh...
    built a StewMac Tele
    got a Champion 50XL
    G & L Tribute Kiloton bass
    Fender Rumble 100
    Squier Paranormal Cabronita Thinline
    re-acquired my 1982 Washburn Falcon
    re-acquired my 2002 Martin Cowboy III
    Champion 20
    Joyo mini bass amp
    MojoTone Champ kit...not built yet
    Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Blonde
    and finally, a Martin 000-15SM after 20 years of wanting.

Kind of shocked how much I brought in, but I also had a banner year for discretionary income.

But this has to stop

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  3. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

I got the '08 ASAT tribute special: love it! Rebuilt one of the basses with a mahogany body this time, and remembered why I loved working with mahogany. Got and fixed an Audix dynamic mic and got a bargain not-working Audix condenser; I think the poor fella didn't just know it uses phantom. Got a Line 6 Spider IV from the brother-in-law; it's growing on me. Got a (Stromberg-Carleson) EV 630 mic and set it up for XLR.

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

Love those free organs on CL! Similarly, years ago someone dumped a dusty old full Leslie unit in the parking lot of the Music 'n' Arts across the street once. What a beast! I cleaned it up and got like $450 for it. Thanks, whoever.

StrangerNY and Gardo like this.
  5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As they say ,one man's trash is another man's treasure
    Good eye to spot it

6. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

I love these threads!!! I'll show this to my wife if i need to account for my meager purchases; "see, could be worse!".

Dismalhead and StrangerNY like this.
  7. wavytech

wavytech TDPRI Member

Sold a honey burst LP Classic and Martin D28 and picked up my first Tele, a swamp ash 52 AVRI:

IMG_3739.JPG

It was brand new in the case, with the funky 3-way switch that includes a bass setting. I shielded the pickup and control cavities, added a 4-way switch with both parallel and series settings, and reverse-wired and reverse polarized the neck pickup. I didn't know until I removed the neck that the guitar was built in 2008! Who keeps a guitar this pretty for 12 years without ever playing it?

I had visited the Corona factory two years ago and wanted a guitar from there. I knew the guitar was sweet when I picked it up the first time even before plugging in. Of course it picked up every radio station in the area but after it was modified it was quiet as my American strat and 335. Even better, the series setting has a distinct humbucker growl. The neck pickup before changing the polarity was dull and sweet as if the tone control was rolled off, but after remagnetizing south it gained treble clarity. I'm obsessed with it, now I'll never have a girlfriend.

8. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Bought a Marshall DSL 40C a few months ago. And a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet G5438 a couple days ago.

[​IMG]

I sold a Marshall Mosfet 100W 2x12 combo to offset most of the price of the DSL. Will probably sell a setneck Epi Les Paul to offset most of the price of the Gretsch.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  9. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

20201204_163503.jpg
    I got this 55 Junior to go with the 56 GA5 Les Paul Junior amp I already had.

10. Jukers

Jukers TDPRI Member

First is first, I have to say thank you guys. Thank you for giving me some perspective on GAS. I though I really had a problem, but some of you guys might need help. Not like GAS anonymous, but like a secretary. It's hard work aquiring that much gear!!

This has been one of the busiest years of my life, all except giging. Got a wife, did a wedding, bought a house (Nov of 2019), and tried to bring in more money than going out, while still having guitars and basses on my brain....just all the time.

I usually build my instruments.
    Guitars:
    -Built Jazz Bass 35" baritone bass (BEAD tuning)
    -Built 4 necks and replaced some of my earlier necks. Feels much better now.
    -Built Jazzmaster single P90 baritone with palm bender
    -Squire strat - I'll fix it up and give it to a kid someday.

Amps:
    -Franken-Blackface SR 1x15 - awesome
    -Resto-mod SRRI (chip board thrown out and hand wired) 4x10 - incredible
    -Jenson 12" speaker for Musicmaster Bass amp
    -Musicman 100RD - really versatile and clean. I don't like the lead channel distortion tone, but the cleans and headroom is amazing. Incredible pedal platform.
    -2x12 cab with Jenson's
    -2x12 cab with Celstions

Sold:
    -Misc guitar parts
    -Line 6 looper
    -Big Muff Civil War
    -Tweed Bassman hand built knock off - really sweet amp but too dirty and loud for me.

I need to thin the amp heard a little bit more....and the guitar heard...and the pedal heard...and the car heard....ok...I have a problem.

jays0n and StrangerNY like this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow, that is a great looking Tele! Congrats.

And welcome to the TDPRI!

- D

12. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I got this 1965 Mustang.
    At first I thought it was too clean to be authentic... especially for the price. The hardware (trem plate, control plate and neck plate)... too spotless to be 55 years old. But I've torn it apart and checked every little detail that I know to check... everything seems to check out. Screenshot_20201201-112236_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112236_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112414_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112358_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112316_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112250_Reverb.jpg 20201203_201047.jpg 20201203_200652.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112236_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112414_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112358_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112316_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20201201-112250_Reverb.jpg 20201203_201047.jpg 20201203_200652.jpg

polimacs, teletimetx, AAT65 and 7 others like this.
  13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Man, that is super clean! Must have been stashed under a bed or in a closet for a lot of years.

- D

14. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah, before I bought it the guy told me it had been in his closet since the early 90's... I thought he was just trying to sell it. But now I think it probably was.

gridlock likes this.
  15. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This is the only one missing from my AO60s collection. Apparently I have to have them all.

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Here are mine. I set a new GAS record for myself. They're kinda in the order that I got them:

Epiphone ES339 with P90s
    [​IMG]

2007 Gibson SG Special
    [​IMG]

Fender Player Short-scale Mustang Bass
    [​IMG]

Supro 1606 Super amp
    [​IMG]

2020 Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
    [​IMG]

And arriving on Tuesday, another Deluxe Roadhouse Strat, this one is a 2016:
    [​IMG]

I did sell three guitars and an amp to cover some of the cost.

17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This year has been absolutely nuts for me in terms of gear! I've never bought/sold/trades so many things. I look at my wall and I don't understand how I got to have such amazing guitars.

Here we go...

January:

Traded: Fender American Special Mustang HH
    Acquired: Fender TVL Jazzmaster

I had originally picked up this HH Mustang a couple years ago and it was one of those crazy local deals that I couldn't pass up. The guitar was nice and all but the Diamondback humbuckers were really honky sounding and it was either let the guitar go or go down the rabbit hole of pickup swapping. A local ad popped up with a guy who was looking to trade a Jazzmaster for a Mustang. Did the deal straight trade. I'd never had a JM before. The TVL is a cool guitar.

March:

Purchased: Fender ’57 Twin Amp (used)

I'm a Stones freak and I'm even in a Stones tribute band so this was a bucket list amp for me.

[​IMG]

April:

Sold: Fender American Standard Stratocaster

June:

Sold: Fender Standard Jazz Bass

Purchased: Fender Justin Meldal Johnson Mustang Bass (new)

I'd had this MIM Jazz Bass since I got it new around 2005. I used to play bass in a band at it was my #1. However as time went on I realized it wasn't really any fun to play and although the tone was AMAZING (SD Quarter Pounder pickups) I never picked it up. I'd had an MIJ Mustang Bass years ago and I've always regretted selling it. the JMJ Mustang Bass ticked all the boxes for me. So I unloaded the Jazz and bought the Mustang Bass. It's a GREAT instrument.

[​IMG]

August:

Sold: 1960 Fender Super Amp

Purchased: Fender American Original 60’s Telecaster (used)

Yes, I sold the coveted brown Super. It was a nice amp and all but I have two other Fender amps in the 40 watt range and it was completely redundant. I don't have room for a massive amp collection and it was a lot of money sitting there on the floor. I was gassing for the AO60's Tele and this gave me the money to buy it. You might have seen my thread in the Tele sub forum about the AO series - this is the BEST guitar I've every played and I love it. This guitar changed everything I thought I knew about what I like in a neck.

[​IMG]

September:

Sold: Parts Telecaster

Purchased: Fender American Original 60’s Stratocaster (new)

I liked the AO60's Tele so much that I had to have another neck like it. Managed to snag a CAR model before they're all gone! It's also the best Strat I've heard or played.

[​IMG]

October:

Sold: Fender Vibro King Amp

Traded: Fender ’75 Telecaster Custom (2012 Telebration Limited Edition)
    Acquired: Fender ’65 Princeton Reverb Amp

The Vibro King is another one of those amps that everyone loves but I had a mixed relationship with. I regretted ever buying it in the first place. It took me about 6 months to finally sell it at less than half of sticker price. NO ONE wants these big heavy loud amps anymore.

The Tele Custom was a guitar I liked the idea of but never really bonded with it. I struggled with the tone of it and tried every mod under the sun but I had to finally let it go. And boy was it difficult to find someone willing to take it. Literally no one wanted to pay cash for it. I had been thinking about a PR for a while and I ended up trading the guitar straight up. I "lost" the trade in terms of value but I am happy with the amp so I guess what difference does it make?

[​IMG]

November:

Sold: Fender TVL Jazzmaster

Purchased: Fender American Original 60’s Jaguar (used)

Once the honeymoon was over with the TVL JM I decided to move on from it. Just didn't bond with it. I had never played a Jaguar before and I LOVE the AO60's series so took a chance on this one. It was used and already came with a Mastery bridge installed. I ended up changing the pickups for a pair of Fender PV65's as well. I have no idea why Fender decided to go with the pre2012 62RI pickups but I do like the 65's better. I'm really enjoying the guitar! It has the same chunky C as the Strat and Tele so it feels at home in my hands.

[​IMG]

Now I sit here wondering what other guitars I could sell to raise the funds to buy an AO60's Jazzmaster to finish out the set. :p

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Not really "got" so much as "put together:"
    [​IMG]

StrangerNY, gridlock and Dismalhead like this.
  19. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

This is what I bought and kept this year.

I also bought, sold, and traded many other guitars and amps this year. Only one amp remained from last year (not shown) and no guitars.

The really nice 1962 Fender Vibrolux was my prize gear acquisition in 2020.

265EFEAD-6768-447D-8EE9-7B72BEA0AFED.jpeg
    67CDEE9F-F8D1-4A71-93CA-104FC161D59D.jpeg
    B2066ECF-C409-4841-B51E-19BCC6AFCF94.jpeg
    9BDCF9CD-1F18-4FAC-9B47-CB68FCE47E38.jpeg
    C48835FA-C4D4-4461-9A6E-DCCD04FF9485.jpeg
    FB473D92-905F-4D40-B798-5C27E418DF57.jpeg
    F1DD5E35-83A3-485F-A803-3D2C83453362.jpeg
    F936A012-1909-4787-AF20-EF4E6F662456.jpeg 879CC576-BFEA-4FFE-924E-BEF1DCC5A544.jpeg
    DA4F6BB1-2936-4D3E-BBA4-ACEC5FFDB84E.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  20. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I sold the following:

- Oscar Schmidt parlor guitar bought used at GC
    - Silvertone Silhouette reissue
    - Vintage Silvertone 1423 Jupiter
    - Vintage Slingerland parlor guitar
    - Reverend Double Agent
    - '70s Musicmaster bass
    - Breedlove Oregon Concert
    - New Fender Duo Sonic I won in a giveaway
    - Vintage National lap steel
    - Blackstar HT5R
    - JangleBox Byrds Edition compressor
    - Akai Head Rush

And bought these:

- Vintage Silvertone lap steel
    - Used Loar LH-300
    - Harmony Silhouette (the new reissue)
    - Harmony Juno
    - Grote Jazz Hollow Body
    - Heritage H-535
    - CS '54 pickups for my Waterslide
    - '57 Custom Champ amp
    - Used '68 Princeton Reverb

Pics:
    IMG_1410.jpg IMG_1439.jpg IMG_1419.jpg IMG_1320.jpg Hrmny2.png Loar.jpg IMG_1363.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.