FIFA World Cup, anyone else excited?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bob1234, May 27, 2014.

1. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Please! send me a link to that article!!!
    It's funny, it means to "work very hard", if done to yourself, like "he tore his own ass", but if you say the same talking about somebody else like "we tore their asses" it means you defeated them in an overwhelming way.

So, if somebody breaks his own ass, he worked very hard, but if he breakes someone else's, they defeated them. :lol:

Like in the hated chant "Look, Look, Look, take them a picture, they're heading back to [home place for rival team] with their asses broken"

2. italo

italo Tele-Meister

I think you are mistaken: I saw the interview and there is no slang in it. He literaly tore his annus in that last stretch against Robben !!

3. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Well, he did it both ways then. Literally and figuratively. :lol:

italo likes this.
  4. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

5. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Maybe it's time to nominate some players for "Best of the WC 2014"

Seeing as Mascherano is prominent in recent threads, I would suggest hes been one of the best, if not THE best, midfielders this tourney. I'd be inclined to put Philip Lahm as MF, as well, as he's been playing more of a MF role than D. Kroos and DiMaria also had excellent tournies.

Goalkeepers is going ot be the toughest to pick, I think, as there have been at least 5 or 6 standouts: Navas (CRC), Ochoa (MEX), Ospina (COL), Neuer (GER) all deserve a mention, as does the Nigerian GK (sry, bud, can't remember your name) and probably a couple more.

Forwards: Although he still has a lack of maturity, James Rodriguez was pretty darn good. Muller has also been slightly more effective than Messi or Robben, for example.

Selections deserve more thought and there are still a couple of matches to be played, so I'll hold off on further picks and hope ev eryone has a good time arguing who deserves a Starting 11 spot.

6. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Nice assist by David Luiz on that second goal...

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the script just hasn't worked out for Brasil in their home tournament....

their defense has gone missing at the business end....

will they dig themselves out of another poor first half?.... and give the fans something to cheer about... a nation prays...;)

8. trev333

Netherlands scores the trinity..... with no replies....

one for their Homelend, one for it's sons and one for the holy shiite Brasil were bad.....

I wonder if oranges will be off the menu for a while in the Vitaminas...;)

9. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister

Wow that was fun. An exciting game. IMO the man of the match was the referee (one of the worst I have ever seen). He already made a huge error right before the first penalty:

- It was not a penalty, but a free kick (foal was outside the box)
    - Should have been a red card instead of yellow. Even a Brasilian player that was interviewed afterwards agreed. He obviously kept the red one in his pocket that early in the game for 'political reasons'

I think the Netherlands would have won either way, but still. He really made error after error.

And also after this game Robben had visible imprints of several Brasilian shoes on his anckles, unbelievable. "if you can't beat them, kick them"

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Glad that the Netherlands won.

I don't care for dirty soccer. American football and hockey are both inherently violent, but soccer is more fun for me when the players treat each other with respect.

On the other, maybe that's why the US team didn't make it deeper into the elimination stages! :oops:

Seriously, if the US team had made it to the final four, there would have been a ticker tape parade in Times Square.

It's sad to see Brazil fans boo their own team for what US fans would have considered an heroic effort.

The Brazil team was one of the weakest they've had in years, then they lost two of their best players... For the home crowd to boo the remaining players under these circumstances tells me that the people of Brazil don't deserve a championship team. :idea:

Now to Germany and Argentina. I'm kind of ambivalent about this one.

My family has German ancestry, so we eat German food at holidays, and culturally there's an affinity there. Also, as I said earlier, a German win makes the US team look better, since we held them to one goal.

However, since Brazil fans have been such poor losers, an Argentina win would be like putting salt on Brazil's wounds. Seems like Argentina is one of the least popular nations in South America... All my Mexican friends are rooting for Germany... So, I guess I'm rooting for Germany too, but if Argentina wins, there will be some justice in that as well.

Looking forward to it! :cool:

11. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I think Germany will be too strong for Argentina tonight, better attackers and sound defence, also depends if Messi turns up. Just hope it's an open game, an early goal for either team will make it a better contest.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd like to see Germany win for this simple reason:

USA played well against Germany, at least according to the final score. It might give the sport more momentum in the USA if the fan thinks we're close (whether we are or not).

Only reason I can think of to want Argentina to win is one cool fan in Rome! :^)

What happens if Argentina scores a couple goals and the lawyers for all the people Argentina has ripped off seize the goals as partial payment? :^)

13. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Germany 2 - Argentina 1
    Extra time, but no shoot-out.

14. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

This is no fun.

15. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I don't care about who wins, I just really want to see some amazing goals, especially from Messi.

16. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

I'll try to convey into words what's going on here. The whole city is turned to a football stadium. People randomly go out the balcony, sing a couple of choruses of the song some other people are chanting in the street, cars honk and wave flags, somebody throws confetti, then a firework goes off. The man goes back inside to check how the pasta and the sauce he's cooking are doing. Somebody else picks up the song from another balcony, suddenly a bus full of people passes by singin another song, the people in the balconies or waiting to cross the street change it and join that song, which continues after the bus is gone. Then there's a bit of silence and you hear some people blowing horns, some children playing football in the corner, pretending it's the final. Then some guy comes up singing a song alone, and people start joining him, the kids too, and it all starts again... The city is like a stadium where buildings are like the stands.
    Never felt this atmosphere before. :D

Oh yeah and I had a brass band pass by playing all the popular songs too! What a great sunday.

17. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Well there are a lot of Argentines that also have German ancestry, but not the other way around, so that evens it out! :lol: We also eat German pastry and stuff like that. Lots of Volga Germans too.

About Argentine being unpopular in South America, yes, it's like that. Not sure why (they say we're arrogant, but what do they know? :D), but it is something I've also felt. Of course each individual is unique, but the general trend is like that.

18. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

I want Germany, its in me roots. just hope its an exciting game and not one sided.

19. trev333

I'm up.. 5AM...... bring it on....;)

20. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

I was working on my team of the tournament, and so many of them play for Germany, that it would be churlish of me to cheer from anyone else. They've been the standout team of the tournament, and having watched them build this team over the past eight years, along with the ascendency of the Bundesliga in European club football, I'll be delighted when they inevitably win this evening.

For the record, my picks for the team of the tournament (so far) are:

Neuer
    Lahm
    Hummels
    Vlaar
    Blind
    Mascherano
    Kroos
    Cuadrado
    Sanchez
    Rodriguez
    Muller

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.