Fiddle/Violin For Beginners

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Stringbanger, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:10 PM.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a violin that has been neglected. I don’t think it’s an expensive one, My wife got it out one night and “jammed” along with me. I was playing an acoustic guitar. She sounded pretty darn good playing it for the first time ever, without any knowledge or training.

Anyway, I know that there are many internet resources, but I thought I would check with the TDPRI denizens first to see if you had ideas for a beginner violinist. I think my bow is pretty good quality, but I need to buy some resin. I love experimenting on different instruments, which I think, in the long run, makes one a better guitarist. Although that’s debatable, since it takes time away from guitar playing.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

cyclopean likes this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i'd imagine putting it in old time tuning may make it easier for someone just starting out.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Most beginners lay out the notes with thin tape on the fingerboard to start, 3-4 positions. You really need the rosin so the hair grabs the strings.
    The same thing I tell aspiring guitarists, keep your fingers close to the fingerboard. Good luck!

Stringbanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.