Fi-re-Bird! Beep beep, beep beep, YEAH!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DHart, Dec 13, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thinking about switching up your Tele neck pickup for something a little different than the typical Tele neck pickup? Don't overlook the Firebird! Great sounds, great looks, and goes with a Tele perfectly.

[​IMG]

In my case, I went with a Cavalier Phoenix Firebird neck pickup in this Fender Standard Tele. Wonderful pickup - great tones - full-bright, rich, clean, and clear.

I'm running with a 350k volume pot and a no-load tone pot.

Rob sticks to the original Firebird construction formula - twin AlNiCo 5 bar magnets, each in their own bobbin, each wrapped within a coil, under the hood. Around 6.1k and plays well with a Tele bridge pickup. Noiseless too!

[​IMG]

I've been playing this one a good bit in the last couple of days and really loving it, so I thought I'd just leave this here for anyone who might be thinking about getting something different for their Tele.

Merry Christmas, ya'll! (Would make a great little Christmas treat to yourself!)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

You have built the guitar that I’ve had rolling around in my head for several years.
    I built a parts caster about 5 years ago that has since developed a nasty twist in the neck. It has a P90 in the neck.
    But I’ve wanted to try one of Rob’s Firebird pickups ever since he started winding them.
    My thinking was I’d redo that guitar with a new neck and a one of Rob’s Firebird pickups. But I keep having set backs in other aspects of my life and I keep putting it off.
    If things go my way for a while I’m gonna build the guitar very similar to yours. Until then I’ll have to settle reading about your experiences with it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    DHart likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

That's exactly what I want to do with my Ibanez Talman, I think a Firebird will work great with the Pre B-1 that's in the bridge.
    I'd need a new pickguard cut for the neck pickup, and it's not exactly a common item so that would mean a custom $$ on top of the cost of the pickup. Maybe this year, as I don't like the Quarter Pounder I have in the neck position.

DHart likes this.
  4. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Curious—3-way or 4-way?? 4-way with that combination might get interesting...

DHart likes this.
  5. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Love mine!

20180325_170633.jpg

zippofan, DHart and GearHund like this.
  6. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Just put these SD Firebirds in yesterday.. Liking what I'm hearing so far.. Happened to run across a used pair at a fair price so I grabbed them up..

IMG_0259[1].JPG

DHart likes this.
  7. JohnnyBloo13

JohnnyBloo13 TDPRI Member

20190227_153855.jpg Completes a nice collection of tones for me.

DHart likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

upload_2019-12-14_2-34-45.jpeg Not a Tele, but this hollow body Rocks with this minibucker converted Firebird. This Squier got the same treatment. upload_2019-12-14_2-37-14.jpeg Firebirds are fantastic. Mine have A2's instead of the A5's, but they pair well with the Cavalier Fat Lion bridge pickup.

DHart likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yeah, guys! That's what I'm talking about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.