Fezz Parka Mod:

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I posted this on the Tech forum, but there may not be many looking over there. I rewired my 52 AVRI to modern wiring today, and also did the Fezz Parka mod. Some people have said it doesn't do much, and it's not a real big difference but it seemed to make the tone control works more smoothly, and it get's rid of the funny little hitch you usually get at the end of the tone control travel when you roll all the highs off.

Is there any down side to doing the mod? I had a 52 AVRI before that had already been switched to modern wiring and liked it better than the vintage wiring. I tried to like the vintage, but just couldn't. I used the .047 cap, don't know if I should have changed to the .022, but it sounds fine, and the tone control works so smoothly now, I don't know if it would make a whole lot of difference either way.

Thanks for the advice Telemarkman, though it took a long time for me to get around to doing the wiring, piece of cake as you said.

2. thejerk

thejerk Tele-Meister

The downside to the mod is that all other non-modded guitars will be annoying from now on!

Best and easiest mod ever...

3. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

No downside. It's just better.

4. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

How does one perform a "Fezz Parka" mod?

5. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

+1

6. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

I built a parts Tele some months back which is my only electric. I went modern wiring, 3 way switch with a .022 cap and the Fezz Mod. I'm not a real twang player, don't like things too bright. With my Kinman Broadcasters this set up works really well for me.

You can see the Fezz Mod here
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...ou-know-2.html
    Essentially it's an alternative to the treble bleed cap. Shift one wire and keep more highs when you roll the Vol off.

Works for me.
    Kristina

7. OuttaspaceMan

OuttaspaceMan Tele-Afflicted

+1

Same here, on some of my teles it just sounds great while on others - they sounded better without it. Within my experience, it seems like the compatibility of the mod really depends on the general character of the guitar and it's pickups. YMMV. =)

Here's a visual lay out:

[​IMG]

Or you can move the capacitor instead:

[​IMG]

8. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Well, the downside is that with the volume control backed off, your tone control starts to function like a second volume control.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's a great modification-use it all the time because you do retain some control as the volume pot goes down. I'm even experimenting with linear pots. Makes sense to me, position 5 is 5/10 output. Used them on my last build, customer couldn't be happier.

10. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

My point is that although this mod is fun and simple, still it seems that the best way do handle the treble loss is a cap and resistor in parallel (in terms of preserving the tone as unchanged as possible).
    As for the tone knob, one might try a different cap or profile (linear/log) to make it more to his liking.
    Done some wiring experiments recently, pays off:cool:

11. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

I did this mod on my guitar, and I liked it so much I started a thread about it. The downside? I don't know. If you keep thinking about things to much you'll go crazy and undo something that you like for something you don't.

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never had a guitar with a treble bleed that I could tolerate. The Fezz Parka/Ted Green mod is a nice alternative.

13. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Maybe a stupid question, but will this work on a Baja volume pot with S1 switch?

14. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

The downside is when other people pick your guitar up and dime the knobs!

As mentioned, it does somewhat make the tone a second volume control, but I think that's just a matter of getting used to the new relationship between the pots. IMO, it makes the knobs much more usable, and widens the sweet spot of the guitar for me. It's sort of like each position now has more range, you can dial in bright/dark in smaller increments but across a more satisfying range.

Every Tele I've done it to so far, with different pups, I've liked what it does. It doesn't allow you to be lazy with the knobs...

15. joyster

joyster Tele-Meister

Works just fine on mine!

16. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

No. Most treble bleeds only make the overall tone more tinny as you roll them back. The Ted Greene mod doesn't do this. It's completely natural sounding, where a cap/resistor treble bleed hypes the upper mids and high end.

17. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Any pics of the fezz parka/ted greene mod/wiring...?

18. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, gonna try this tomorrow.

19. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

My two cents, on a tele with two 250k pots, the cap and parallel resistor is better than just a treble bleed cap, but the Fezz Mod is better than either, and is better than standard wiring. If you have a guitar with two 1meg pots, like on a lot of late 60's and most 70's teles, the cap and resistor scheme works best for me. The only possible/slight draw back is that pinky volume knob swells are smoother and seem to require a bit more rolling of the pot with a Fezz Mod and are more abrupt with the standard wiring, and therefore a little easier to do with standard wiring.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

What ever it is I like it, and I like the modern wiring a whole lot better on the 52, a whole lot. Even though it's only a small thing, it's like getting a new guitar, it's like the guitar has had a gonernor on it, and now it's free to go.

I am a happy camper now, because I finally have the 52 playing like I want it after fiddling with the setup for days. An offset screw driver is you buddy for the truss rod. Pickup up height is good, relief, nut slots, string height, string gauge, intonation, all good now.

I also found a used american strat, locked down the temolo and have achieved Yin and Yang balance in my life. After having MANY strats, and never being satisfied with one, I locked the bridge and am a happy camper. In the spring, I think I'll let 'em have pups!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.