1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Few mods I'm interested in, anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chicken Curry, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

I'm reading: https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/25-fender-telecaster-tips/

This article contains some mods that I will definitely want to try. The main one that has got me interested:

I will want to try snipping the neck pickup ground wire. I found very little info on this, there's one forum where a member says it made a big difference.

Has anyone tried this mod?

The above article contains some very interesting mods, worth the read!

2. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

D9A28D87-7B81-454A-A528-B2FA5CC9C9C9.png I did remove the cover on my Telemaster build, was a subtle difference, not earth shatteringly incredible, I guess it also matters what pickup you do the mod to in the first place.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  3. wevard

wevard TDPRI Member

The tip is to snip the cover’s grounding connection, not the pickup’s.
    I wouldn’t try it. I’d consider using resistors or capacitors to shift/change the resonance peaks if what you’re after is more/less brightness. The effect can be subtle or drastic, depending on the chosen components.

4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

That Tele pickguard is very nice, did you do it yourself?

5. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Telemaster yes, the Telecaster one was engraved by my late Father. I do engrave pickguards myself, but not quite as elaborate, although I am currently producing extensively engraved versions A8A0515D-0BAD-4C0C-A52F-A9E101D39D17.jpeg

6. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Very nice detailed work!

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

If you are searching for less muddiness (by removing a cover) then just use a series cap (0.047uF is the common starting point) on the pickup hot lead.

Removing the covers, popular on old Les Pauls, just provides more noise -- the 'more airiness' tone most describe are from environmental noise being picked up and amplified ... cell phone in your pocket, computers and monitors around the room, wifi routers, blue tooth devices, and 'who know what all' going on.

If you clip the cover wire ... also order a 4-way switch and install 'the 4-way switch mod' to give you the series humbucker option for a stealth Les Paul.

8. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Always. Even pickups with covers that are supposedly transparent (nickel silver i think) still affect the tone even if to a lesser degree. So i always remove the cover. The few times i haven't i at least remove the wire that grounds the cover so that the pickup leads are reversible in case i use a bridge pickup thats out of phase with the neck. As to loss of shielding, 1- IMO shielding is a negative because it always affects the high end in a negative way, and 2- the hum reduction the cover provides in my experience is minimal if even noticable. So i pretty much always remove the covers.

Chicken Curry likes this.
  9. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

Do you have a website?

10. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

I don't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.