1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fess up: how much music have you sold (or not) on bandcamp?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Nov 2, 2020.

1. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey thanks rze99- I really appreciate it!

rze99 likes this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

A pleasure.
    I’m always surprised on this and other forums how little members music features. A bit strange but Inthink it is likely fear of criticism.

3. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm with cdbaby.com and the song is up on Spotify, iTunes, etc. Not on Facebook though. I don't do FB. However, not one sale yet. I'm a member of a co-op called Ampled (ampled.com) but don't have an artist page up yet.

I'm a Rumble member. Rumble says it offers better monetization than YouTube so I'm checking it out. I have a couple of other tunes I'd like to get out there.

I have no illusions of getting rich from this. As always, it's about the music for me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm still waiting.

5. don

don Tele-Meister

Music has become a commodity expected to be available for free. And there is a ton of good music out there so even a great song from a band no one outside of your local music club or circle of friends has heard of has a close to zero chance of being discovered. Your friends and family are happy to tell everyone how cool you are but they won't ante up a few bucks to own your music. Try this - send out a free download code for your best song to 100 people (band camp provides these) and see how many even download it for free - I think my success rate was 10%. If your objective is to make money - start gigging, if your objective is to just get people to listen try YouTube or I really like Noisetrade which is owned by Paste Magazine. I get lots of streams and downloads but very few tips but at least people are hearing what you are creating!

telestratosonic likes this.
  6. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Here,it's a bit like a forum for tools,quite a few just like collecting the tools and don't use them to actually make anything.;)

rze99 and telestratosonic like this.
  7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I don't promote my music, but I like bandcamp as a place where I can store my catalogue, as a kind of quasi-cloud backup. The site looks good and has the tools so I can be visually creative. There seems to be enough traffic on bandcamp that I can get up to a dozen listens per week (or as few as zero), and maybe a couple of times a year someone makes a purchase. So far this year I've made about $130.

don and hemingway like this.
  8. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As mentioned, there’s already an abundance of music out there. I very rarely go looking for new music.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this but I already own more than enough music on CD than I have time to listen to. Then I also have one streaming service I can turn to IF I want to listen to anything I don’t already own.

I enjoy writing my own songs, and even recorded a few in a proper studio, but I’m past believing that I’ll ever make any money from it.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Band camp is where lonely awkward high school guys hook up with lonely awkward high school girls from other high schools.

Gardo and voodoostation like this.
  10. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What is the percentage per sale on Bandcamp vs other other platforms that goes to the artist?

11. NEED4TWEED

NEED4TWEED TDPRI Member

Has anyone tried or looked into using UnitedMasters to release music? Might be worth considering.

12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I'm old fashioned I guess... I still can't get my head around paying for a download. I'm listening to your tunes now and I'm quite enjoying them, different and interesting. If you were playing a pub/club near me, I'd happily give you £8 for a CD or 7"...

but can't bring myself to pay £5 for a download, a digital album doesn't feel like it has any value, it feels 'virtual' and it can be copied perfectly with a click of a mouse. I know this is the way of the world but it's not something I can get used to.

I would pay to see you play live too. :)

13. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

I wonder how Juliette is doing.

14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

On bandcamp you get about 75% of the sale price.

15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dear Google...

Neener and hemingway like this.
  16. don

don Tele-Meister

For distribution to AppleMusic, Spotify, Amazon etc I use Amuse.io. Its all done thru a phone app and they give you 100% with no annual fee. Its a pretty slick operation and if nobody is really gonna stream or download your music then its a great way to have your music available just in case someone might stumble on it and enjoy it. As mentioned previously - Bandcamp is great for a place to store your music and send or embed your music and I have made more there than off Apple Music, Spotify etc.

telestratosonic likes this.
  17. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I purchased my friends latest 7" on bandcamp. It was a one off 20 copy hand-made etc etc release so I had to grab it. I don't think many people are buying digital these days, mainly physical stuff...

hemingway likes this.
  18. rze99

Yep. Every single thing was DIY.

19. rze99

We just use an iPhone and tripod and have fun. Seem to get good engagement. In this one we decided to wear masks that John and his daughter made for a party just to weird it out a bit.

Bascially its the band in my sitting room miming wearing silly masks with a pal shooting it on the iPhone. But it's got over 1.5k views so someone likes it.

hemingway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.