1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ferrule is a dumb word, and NOT just 'cause my holes are too small and I don't know how to fix them.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by _MementoMori_, Mar 1, 2021.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I ran into metric ferrules...they're 10mm, which is a little larger than 3/8". 10mm = 0.394, 3/8" = 0.375. Thankfully, I caught it before I started drilling. They were sold as 3/8"...

The minor dia on most is 5/16" (8mm) rather than 1/4".

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

False alarm, guys. All is well. I didn't realize how snug these guys were supposed to fit. I've got two more to tap in. The builder didn't space them perfectly and it's driving my OCD a little crazy, but they're not too far off either. Hopefully not enough to cause any real trouble down the line.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Even if the body is unfinished, I’ve had great luck with the soldering iron trick. Be careful with tapping them in...it’s a good way to blow the hole out and chip away some wood.

4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

My holes were pre-blown, haha. It looked like they were drilled via .22 caliber rifle at 25 yards. If anything, the flange hid a lot of the blowout. They look much better now aside from not being perfectly aligned... which I guess I can live with.

Loudog99 likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

^^^This right here. Don't get impatient and just go for it with a twist drill. Disaster awaits on that path.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I got pretty good at doing drop-fills because I tried to open up tuner holes on my first Gretsch this way and it unfolded about as you'd expect. It seemed trivial to do until I pulled the trigger on the drill that bit pulled hard. I have a round reamer now for that type of work
    That was a lesson hard learned...

archetype likes this.
  7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Glad to here you got em working. Have you got your bridge yet? If so, have you checked to make sure all your holes for the screws and strings line up correctly? I'm presuming the appropriate holes for it are also pre-drilled?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  8. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Bridge holes are not drilled yet, actually. This body just had the ferrule holes, the jack hole, the neck pocket, and the neck and bridge pup routes drilled. I'm hoping the ferrule holes on the front side of the body line up with my bridge when I get it. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I've considered getting a dual loader bridge just to be on the safe side, actually.

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.