1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ferrule is a dumb word, and NOT just 'cause my holes are too small and I don't know how to fix them.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by _MementoMori_, Mar 1, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Stupid ferrule holes. I guess I'm supposed to buy a ream now or something? I've got these nice Forney Custom brass ferrules and nothing to stick 'em in until I can fix this problem.

I've never reamed anything in my life. It's not in my nature.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Can you provide some detail, so you can possibly get some help here?

What size are your existing ferrule holes? Do you want the ferrules flush mounted ("vintage" style), or with the flanges protruding ("modern" style)?

With a finished body, it is always better to get the right ferrules to suit it, rather than modifying it to accept a certain type of ferrules.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Help you or laugh, that is the question.

4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Not sure what else to say. I bought a body off of eBay that had the ferrule holes pre-drilled for "vintage style" ferrules. I bought a set of solid brass ferrules from Forney Custom on Reverb, and they are... substantially too large. So, I have ferrule holes presumably in the right place on the body, but the ferrules I got in the mail today absolutely are not going in without massive force.

Flip G likes this.
  5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The holes may just have some thick clear coat in them that needs to be cleaned out.

You might get away with heating one at a time with a soldering iron and pushing them into the holes.

Go slowly and don't use too much head.

6. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Good idea. Though the body is unfinished aside from Danish oil and wax. But my daughter has a small manual drill. I'll run that through the holes a few times and see if it gets me anywhere. I'm thinking it won't because the fit seems to be way off, not just a little off.

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

OK.

8. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Do you have a specific question for me? If so, ask it. I think I've made my issue clear.

9. Phrygian77

The newer flush fit non-standard seems to be 3/8" by 3/8". The traditional style ones should all be pretty similar.

10. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Just checked these. They are 3/8" diameter across the flange, and 5/16" deep. The diameter of the ferrule body is 1/4".

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Be careful with a hand drill, the threads on typical bits like to grab and pull when you're trying to embiggen an existing hole and there's a good chance of it chipping. If you can get some time at a drill press I'd use that with a forstner bit; they cut the wood in a circle rather than a spiral and so give cleaner results.

Telekarster and archetype like this.
  12. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Didn't see the revised post here. See above for dimensions on the ferrules I bought. Existing ferrule holes are ~1/4", which according to my post above, should be fine. I'm okay with the flange style ferrules that don't sit flush. This body is finished, so that definitely adds to the challenge.

13. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Sorry, I meant literally manual as in hand-powered. I do have a drill press and a set of forstner bits, but I think my smallest forstner bit is bigger than what I need for this job.

14. Phrygian77

That's standard vintage ferrule dimensions, I think.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Since the holes are already drilled, you can embiggen them by *running the 1/4" drill in reverse* to prevent tearing out the surface of the wood.

Telekarster, Dereksys38 and hepular like this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I'd hold out for a forstner of the correct size, a spiral bit is still likely to cause issues even in a hand-crank drill.

17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've learned the word "embiggen" here.
    I'll be throwing that one around at work tomorrow.

Telekarster and TigerG like this.
  18. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Interesting... very interesting!

Is there an exact science to this method? Do I just carefully run the 1/4" bit down into the hole in reverse and then, uh, wiggle it just slightly, for lack of a better term? Ferrules are supposed to fit very tightly, correct? I confess I've watched a lot of building videos, but none on ferrule installation yet.

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Use a graduated drill index to work up to the 1/4" drill, running them in reverse. No wiggling necessary.

NOTE: If there are no holes drilled, running in reverse does not work. Well...it does work, but it burns through the wood rather than drill through it :eek:

20. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Are your measurements done using a rule or micrometer?
    Before you start drilling try putting the ferrules in a zip lock bag then in your freezer for a couple hours.
    This usually works well and may work here depending. Either way it is worth a try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.