Fernandes Tele's

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by marklk, Jul 24, 2018.

1. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

Does anyone know the going price range to buy a MIJ Fernandes Tele? Post Fender headstock shape and not a "Revival"? I've tried sold listings on ebay and couldn't find any. Thanks.
    tele.JPG

2. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

400-700 US IMO
    GREAT guitars!

marklk likes this.
  3. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

Thanks. I'm used to buying lower end guitars. I think I have a chance to get one for less than 300 but I'm trying not to buy any guitars and it will completely deplete my gear fund.

Needed some reassurance that it's a deal I can't pass up.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a really good deal! The same guitar as a MIJ Fender.

Sleepyscholar and marklk like this.
  5. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

Really? That's interesting. I know Fernandes farmed out production to a number of different companies. Do you know which this is? Fujigen, perhaps?

I have a Revival myself (it's the one in my Avatar) from the very early 80s, but I hadn't thought before which factory it might be made in. Cost me just over $300 (I'm in Japan: I imagine the US would be more expensive), and does seem to be a nice instrument.

marklk likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

$700 is way too much. $200-400 is more reasonable for ones from the 90s and 2000s. Maybe more for older ones, but those have a different headstock. I have two Strats that I paid $200 for each, but I got lucky. $300-400 is more common. The white one started out with the DSCN0640.JPG DSCN0674.JPG rosewood board and the black one with maple, but I swapped the necks.

clackers49, john kleeman and marklk like this.
  7. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

$200 is a nice price for a solid guitar. I picked one up myself at 2 bills, but that was a while ago now. There are certainly varying levels of quality too. I look for nicer or vintage style tuners, alnico pickups, big pots, etc. One of my favorites was from the 90’s and had the newer headstock. Generally, I do prefer the older models with the Strat style headstock and/or the Revival, or even the Stone Logo guitars (& the headstock that kind of has a hook to the top) Some Fernandes guitars were actually made by Tokai. I played a red one once that had amazing bell like tone.
    I pulled the pick guard and found a trio of those grey fibre bottom Tokai pups with the U or E stamp. Great guitar all around and yes, wasn’t being given away. I think $300 for a newer one like OP asked about is very solid. A good deal.. Congrats!

marklk likes this.
  8. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I was a Fernandez dealer during the time when they moved production from Japan to Korea. The Japanese guitars were, to someone who has done this for a little while, Fujigen without a doubt, and when they made the mfg change, I quit being a Fernandez dealer.

marklk and Sleepyscholar like this.
  9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Great guitars. My pickup winder friend, Mick Brierly,has a thinline that I said I'd buy if he wanted to sell it it. He said; " Join the queue".
    Melissa Ehteridge used one really well including the law suit Fender headstock.
    IMHO as good as any Fender and then some.

marklk likes this.
  10. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. If I'm reading between the lines correctly (what people have paid vs what they think they are worth) a MIJ non Fender headstock should be between $200-$400. Maybe a little more for a tele? With $200 being a great deal one should buy even if not in the market and $300 being a fair deal if searching?

11. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

I have a 90s MIJ Fernandes Stratocaster. It's an amazing guitar. $300 is fair price for MIJ Fernandes Telecaster.

12. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

I was able to get it for closer to 200 than 300 with the case so I went for it. I haven't had any time with it yet but other then a couple of chips in the paint it's looks to be in great shape.

I looked through the catalog to try and get an idea of its age. Headstock looks to be late 90s but I could only find the model (rte56-54, rte60-59?) 1990 or earlier.

Here are a couple quick 20180726_123424.jpg 20180726_123347.jpg trunk pictures. In a couple weeks I'll change the strings, pull it apart and get more pictures.

Stubee and john kleeman like this.
  13. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

So it's been a while now but I have some new pictures. This is my favorite guitar right now. I'm liking it more than my mim and Chinese Fenders. Nothing wrong with those this one just speaks to me more. 20181018_230547.jpg 20181018_230504.jpg 20180905_221929.jpg 20181018_230636.jpg

Attached Files:

neilybob100 likes this.
  14. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

I

Attached Files:

neilybob100 likes this.
  15. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

I've just picked up a MIJ Fernandes (headstock/logo same as above) which i believe is a very late 80s/early 90s era....cant remember but i wish it was easier to detail these thru serial numbers.
    Anyhoo....
    Mine is a TE-1 model i belive...blonde 50s style, maple fretboard, etc.
    I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by this guitar!
    The action is light, low, and plays like butter...no doubt due to the outstanding fretwork, which isnt all that common even on more expensive guitars.
    (Perhaps i happened to luck out with an exceptional example)
    The stock pickups sound great too.

I'd had my eye on one of these for some time and recently found an ultra-clean one.
    Almost dead mint.
    I really couldn't tell you WHY these Fernandes' rather than a Fender other than maybe years ago when i worked at a pawn shop i handled a couple and just liked something about 'em.

I've played a tele here and there but never actually owned one....Ive for the most part been a Strat guy for 30yrs

Lately ive had the tele bug in a bad way so i caved in and bought the Fernandes and couldnt be happier, I love this guitar so much.
    In case i havent mentioned its the best tele I've ever played...it is. Period.
    lolol

The pic is NOT my new Fernandes but is almost identical....AND incidentally a pic of one I missed a couple years ago on my local CL..by a couple of hours.
    Blah!
    Mine actually has a 5 screw pickguard
    [​IMG]

So...I'd definitely be interested in learning as much about the Fernandes teles of this particular era as i can.
    Any helpful knowledge would be appreciated!.
    I've also had my eye on a double bound CAR model. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    marklk likes this.
  16. Esckrimador

Esckrimador TDPRI Member

Never played the Tele, but I did use the Strat one night, and I was highly impressed.

marklk likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

With the Gold logo and paper serial number label, that's consistent with the mid to late 90s ones that I've had. The later ones, like mine in the pics that I posted (which are both from 2003) have the larger black logo, and the serial number on the headstock next to the logo.

marklk likes this.
  18. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

Congrats. The blonde looks awesome. Six months later mine is still my favorite all around guitar and I have a couple Fenders, squires and epiphones I really like.

19. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Thanx.
    Like i say, this isnt the actual one but its identical. Hopefully ill get pics up soon.
    But yeah...its making a very strong run at replacing my #1 strat.
    I mean, its all but official...i just havent admitted it out loud yet. ;)

ETA:
    Aww screw it...its now my #1..and there's NOTHING I can do about it.
    There I said it.

Idk exactly *what* it is but I am just friggin in LOVE w this thing!!!

neilybob100 likes this.
  20. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

Ha. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

The neck on mine is perfect. The pickups get a wide range of tones and they're the ones I hear in my head when I want to play something before I play it. Everything else is just as it should be on a great guitar.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.