fenders squier cv series

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by julesyoung, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Dejected_Ridge

Dejected_Ridge Tele-Meister

I predict they go the way of the Squier Pro Tone series myself. I have a Pro Tone strat that is really top notch and reminds me of my friend's CV.. it even has a thinner neck...

-DJ

2. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

Hmm... price points drive the market. Squier sits at those lower points on purpose, if they raised the price across the board they'd essentially price themselves out of competition and leave poor kids getting an Ibanez for the holidays. (FWIW, I have an Ibanez jazz box that's just lovely, so I'm only bagging on the Vai-ish end of their products.) What I could see them doing is moving CVC up to MIM level, slap "Fender" on the headstock instead of "Squier"... and how bad would that be? A MIM with binding and alnico pups wouldn't be a bad thing to exist in the universe...

3. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    To the OPs question: There are zero odds of this happening.

And folks, while international trade policy is vastly fascinating to discuss, it usually turns into a political argument. Which is why -- if you look -- the rules forbid discussions based on international trade and labor subjects.

Here's a quote from the rules of this forum (that you have never read, no doubt):

4. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

In some ways that's what we're seeing with guitars these days and to some of us at least, that's not what we want, this generic blandness. The guitars are cheap and plentiful and look good but... There's something to be said for character.

5. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I am going to be interested to see if the quality of the Chinese guitars remains the same. Often times when a factory gets a contract everyone works hard to put out the best it can so that they can be a successful operation. Sales are good, workers are happy and quality is the norm. But then the craziness of China's business model begins to creep in, local authorities want a cut, managers are forced to cut corners to compensate and quality suffers. It happens a lot, not saying it will, but it sure wouldn't surprise me.

M

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Very unlikely, IMO. They have a cash cow now, right? All they have to do is keep the cow happy and milk it. If they change it and the cow gets sick, they lose.

Why change a winning game? Marketing people destroy their careers discontinuing highly profitable products.

7. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

I agree about the pots, switch and jack as being cheap.
    Everything else on the guitar (well...on the CVC I own anyway) are far superior to any MIM tele I've ever played, and I've owned several and played a great many.
    And superior to most American tele's I've played.

8. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Let me just say that I own Fender USA, Fender MIM and lots of Squier CVC's and I love them all. Truth time. When I was in the store picking up the CV50 BSB and the CV Thinline I said to the clerk, "There is no doubt that I can go over to your top of the line Fenders and find one that is better than the CV line, but ON THE AVERAGE, as in consistently the very highest quality, the CV's are better on the average than anything else out there. We could talk about a 10 dollar switch or something, but what it really comes down to is how exact are they made? The attention to detail that makes the neck come out perfect, the neck pocket fit it perfectly, the frets being installed totally evenly etc. all add up to a guitar that when you pick it up, and play it, especially after you fine tune the setup will blow your mind every time.

Now onto the cheap sweat shop argument. The average hourly wage over in China is $1.60 per hour. Another poster who came from China, who is a US citizen but spent 4 of the last 10 years in China said, "You can get an engineering grad, or a machinist in China for $1.60 per hour". So it is not sweat shop kids turning out these guitars, it is people who are thanking the work bench, and deciding that if you are going to pay us more for the top of the line CVC then we are going to show you what we are capable of, and they have.

I wasn't even in the market for a guitar when I picked an Affinity off of the shelf and was blown away for $179, but then I discovered the CVC's and after studying them, brought the Affinity's back. (No discredit to the Affinity line, they are great for the money)

Look I now have 5 CV's and one Standard Squier to add to my made in USA and Mexico collection, so I don't really care what they do with the CV's. It may sound selfish, but my feeling is anything this good can't last.

It may be possible that Fender comes out with a Fender Crafted in China model. Then what? I'm keeping the ones that I have. 6 is enough for the rest of my lifetime. No offense but right now the tail is wagging the dog.

Attached Files:

9. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

This is close to my experience. I've owned a few other Squiers, a few USA Teles & Strats (one deluxe), and various other guitars including Gibsons and my CVs are in the toppermost of the quality fit, finish and setup. Would like to play a Baja and my bro's MIM RW Strat is outstanding...?

The Deluxe was the only one that matches them, to be honest. Just my experiences, YMMVOC.

10. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Originally Posted by Red Square
    I agree about the pots, switch and jack as being cheap.
    Everything else on the guitar (well...on the CVC I own anyway) are far superior to any MIM tele I've ever played, and I've owned several and played a great many.
    And superior to most American tele's I've played.

Pondcaster Reply.
    This is close to my experience. I've owned a few other Squiers, a few USA Teles & Strats (one deluxe), and various other guitars including Gibsons and my CVs are in the toppermost of the quality fit, finish and setup. Would like to play a Baja and my bro's MIM RW Strat is outstanding...?

The Deluxe was the only one that matches them, to be honest. Just my experiences, YMMVOC.
    +1 My sentiments exactly.

11. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

And I don't care if they discontinue the line or move it or whatever, because I now OWN a guitar that feels as right in my hand....maybe even more right....than any guitar I've ever owned. And I've owned quite a few.
    In this life on rare occasions some guitars just speak to you and feel as right as right can feel. It could be a Les Paul...a PRS...a vintage strat....whatever. And if you are lucky enough to get your hands on THE rare guitar that does speak to you, no matter what the price point or what it says on the headstock or who made it......well...you are damned lucky.
    I feel damned lucky to have my CVC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.