Fender's new "Vintera" series guitars

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telerocker1988, Jun 25, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I still like calling it Mexican + Vintage = "Mexitage", like those Meritage wine blends.

Rumblur likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Am Stds suck in comparison to the Performer, IMO. I've owned several Am Stds and AM Dlxs, and none were as nice as my Am Performer.

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We are into YMMV territory of course... I’m not interested in the vintage-accuracy of the specs and I think there are still too many sunburst and blonde options: bold and / or pastel colours FTW!

4. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

incoming. didnt like the price so my sweetwater hooked me up with a "demo" unit ..brand new other than just taken out of the box. even cheaper than the bajas were so :p

mimmo, Fendereedo, Nubs and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Totally agree, new colours are needed, and vintage accuracy is no big shakes to me, but playing pleasure time is.

AAT65 likes this.
  6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I've posted this on several other threads as well -- I've generally liked how Fender has revamped its lines the past several years. By and large (with the notable exception below) the new lines represent new design specs and features that improve the prior lines they replaced.

The goofy name notwithstanding, I like the idea of bringing Fender's higher end MIM models together under the "Vintera" umbrella, and there are a lot of cool guitar models in that range.

Where I take some issue with Fender is that the Vintera 50s Modified Tele ($1000 - $1050 list) is for all practical purposes identical to the 50s Baja Tele ($825 list) other than the $200(!) price hike. Given Fender's prior efforts to provide new features/specs to the other revamped lines, it's disappointing to see Fender simply slapping a new label on the Baja Tele and selling it for $200 more. It is still a great guitar, and not unworthy of the $1000 list, but it's not the no-brainer value that the Baja represented.

DanDII likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

vintera.jpg

8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Not sure what I make of these new guitars.

The colours sure are purrdy.

Soulman969 mentioned some models have increased 27% while remaining essentially the same. I'm not mathematically inclined, so I'll just go with assuming that is correct. Which in turn, makes me go, wow!

But I guess, as others have noted, prices go up. That's unavoidable (usually). Probably better marketing to have that coincide with new models or a 'refresh' than just happen straight up to the same stuff.

Pax/
    Dean

9. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Vintera sounds like a cruddy 70's French car.

TwangerWannabe and David Barnett like this.
  10. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

So these are replacing the Baja line...are they also simultaneously replacing the Classic Series at the same time? That would be a real shame. I always thought the Classic Series were the absolute best value out there for a real, honestly priced, "working man's" guitar. I have a Classic 50's Tele and a Classic 50's Lacquer Precision bass and both are incredible. Only thing I ever did was replace the pickups...put some OV's in the Tele and a PV'63 pickup in the Precision. No need to do anything else other than play them.

Pointmonger likes this.
  11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes - there are vintage-spec Vinteras and more modern-spec Vinteras. Technically Fender considered the Classic Players (and the Road Worns for that matter) to be part of the Classic series anyway. The only thing that didn't get replaced were the Road Worns and the Classic Lacquer finish models. But I think buried somewhere in that Anderton's video the Fender rep says they will be doing Road Worns as FSRs/Limited Editions going forward.

I've been thinking about the price increases - I'm still okay with the "vintage-spec" Vintera pricing being now $75 more than the old Classic Series - the Classic Series was $799 back in 2013, and had only gone up $25 since then. But I think that Fender finally realized that they underpriced the Classic Players for features they had - they probably could have been priced $100 more than the "regular" Classics, but from the beginning they were the same price as the "regular" Classics.

rider7 and TwangerWannabe like this.
  12. oldguy101

oldguy101 TDPRI Member

The Vintera series should really help sales at companies like Stratosphere. I look forward to picking up bodies in some of the new colors for projects..

13. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I feel ya. Years ago, I sanded off the sunburst finish of my G&L ASAT Tribute and shipped it off to MJT Tele to have it painted surf green. All because I wanted a surf green tele for so long. Now they're all over the place. I could pick up a used surf green Squier for a few bucks or throw down some more clams on a surf green Vintera.

Is Vintera a real word? Or did the boys in marketing come up with it like "rich Corinthian leather"?

Matthias likes this.
  14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

It's a minivan from the 1980s:

[​IMG]

15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

How are y'all saying it?

In my mind it immediately came out as "vin-terra."

But now I've trained myself to say (actually, to think) "vint-era." Kinda more like two words.

Time will tell.

16. BigDaddyLH

Air Vent?
    Iran Vet?

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

They are MIM Classics with some added models, and Pau Ferro instead of rosewood. Nice line to replace a nice line...with a $100–$200 price hike for no apparent reason in terms of specs/materials.

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

P.S. I wish they'd finally make a Mustang (Bass and guitar) with the vintage-correct Round-Lam boards. They never have TMK. Those models were not typically made with slab boards, i.e. Fender have never made "proper" reissues of them.

19. Fritz303

Fritz303 TDPRI Member

Talk of tariffs have anything to do with price increases? Also, i’d rather raise prices in strong economy than a recession.

Pointmonger likes this.
  20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

That's not quite the Baja. It has vintage radius, vintage frets and a U-neck .. in other words it's the new 50s Classic Player

The vshaped neck, modern radius and medium jumbo frets Baja is the 50s modified Vintera which comes in Daphe Blue (and surf green and butterscotch)

The 50s modified Vintera unfortunately still has the S1 :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.