Fender's new "Vintera" series guitars

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telerocker1988, Jun 25, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

...and no double-cut version!
    Those were the first thing I removed from my CP50s Strat. Some folks insist those are great, but I thought they were the worst possible design. It took a coin and pliers to get strings out of mine.

2. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    That's one of the guitars I just bought.... personally don't mind the radius, I can get around fine on about any... fantastic guitars for the buck..

Maybe a pic would help....
    2019-06-19_14-49-05.jpg

blueruins, RadioFM74, Kreepy and 3 others like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They look like a great value. I have a 2010 classic 50's fiesta red but it's poly. The lacquer would be much nicer and the case is a great bonus.

edit, just seen pic. Looks awesome, I didn't know matching headstocks were an option.

grolan1 likes this.
  4. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Well this replaces the Baja '60's; on paper it seems like a downgrade to no name pickups, and you get to pay more.

I know I'm gonna hate the 50's version, especially if is missing the soft V neck. But the pickups will be an issue that will dominate the conversation, I would believe...

Meanwhile... I found the Vintera modified Telecaster, and it is the doppelganger of a Baja 50's. But I think most will have alder bodies.... only blondes will get ash with see-through finishes. The Soft V neck survives intact as does medium jumbo frets and 9.5" radius. The 4-way switch and S1 are there too. But for an increase in price, compared to my 2007 Baja.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not sure what the whole Vintage part of this is... the only thing that isn't thoroughly modern is the bridge? And they stick the 3-barrel bridge is on half the "modern" models?

The marketing is just weird... it's like they think Vintage makes certain people automatically want it? The term seems meaningless... it'd be more clear if it was all "here are a bunch of teles with the following option combinations!"

Or if they're going to name certain ones vintage make it the ones with 7.5" radius necks and vintage style frets since those are the hard things to modify. Changing pickups & bridges/saddles is easy.

6. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah .. but as as we've seen with the elite and pro, after a year or so price falls again :)

7. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

They are nice looking.

Dumb name....Vintera?

(at least I said one nice thing)

Kreepy, 2 Headed Goat and Jim622 like this.
  8. atticus899

atticus899 TDPRI Member

Luckily My Granddad was a lefty and played right handed and taught me to play right handed. I don’t think I’m as good as I would be left handed but I do what I need to so yep I order the 50’s Fiesta Red Telecaster and I cannot wait!!

9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

"Vintera"

hmmmm

I thought it was that rumored new Porsche pickup.....

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. Those prices..... Sheesh.

In 2014 and 2015 I bought a bunch of guitars believing that then was the best time ever to buy in terms of value for money and that it would never be repeated. I was right!

11. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Cool new series but its frustrating to see they can't get the specs right on their own website or on information sent to retailers. I see vintage style frets and medium jumbo for the 70's deluxe. The MF ad lists both 7.25 and 9.5 inch radius on the same page. We'll see about the CuNiFe... that's a curveball there....

Mirrorshades likes this.
  12. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Since Fender hardly has to innovate due to the whole "vintage is the best" vibe I get from the guitar atmosphere, I feel like what Fender is doing is writing down specs and colors on cards, throwing them in a hat, then making guitars with what comes out.

hellopike and soulman969 like this.
  13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Not to mention, re-priced (+$200).

14. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

There are some out there. Fairly small FSR’s. I recently saw one on Reverb similar to the one grolan1 posted. I’ve also seen 2-tone sunburst. Both with 9.5” radii. (I think) the 57/62 pups.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Oops. I did a search earlier and the other Vintera thread didn't come up. Can a mod merge this with the original/bigger Vintera thread or just delete it?

16. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I think only the 9.25" radius version has the 4-way switching and S1 switch.

17. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

This has got to be a mistake, no? I thought Telenator used up all the CuNiFe in the world. ;-)

logans_tele likes this.
  18. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

I know right? It seems like a really bold and obvious error if not true though. It't not quite like misquoting the radius or fretwire (which they are doing all over place right now, and its still ridiculous if you ask me). Maybe FMIC has enough economic weight they found a way to get the stuff afterall....

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

So typical of Fender at nearly every level.

Add a few different finish options, maybe make a modest pickup or hardware change, relabel it, increase the price. A model or two may be unique but overall they just labeled reruns of existing models.

It's entirely possible they're actually helping us get better pricing on our more popular original versions once buyers begin to get clued into what is nothing more than a major price increase on what in some cases is actually a lesser instrument.

Another example is how they simply made few changes but added new finishes to their Indonesian built Squier VMs and labeled them Classic Vibes. Less astute buyers may have been fooled but not all. I recently sold a 10 year old MIC CV Bass for more than the newer versions sell for.

It just takes a little more effort to educate buyers as to what these newer models actually are. Warmed up pot roast with a fancy new name is still warmed up day old pot roast but manufacturers are seldom if ever held to same full disclosure standards that we as private sellers are held to.

Chunkocaster and hellopike like this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Gotta love these Vintera threads : )

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.