Fender's new "Vintera" series guitars

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telerocker1988, Jun 25, 2019.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

:D:D:D:D

I have been reading your posts about Vintera series with a lot of interest and - just like you - I am interested in the Fiesta Reds 50s tele: this "early 50s U neck" doesn't stop haunting me!

I think I know the online retailer you are talking about. I got in touch with them asking for the weight of the guitar and it was a boat anchor, this is the only reason I didn't buy it :oops: Maybe they have other 50s teles now, don't know.

We seem to have similar taste in guitars and I love a nitro finish over poly too. So I am taking my time and waiting for a FSR roadworn or lacquer model: if they give us a fiesta red tele in nitro, well, I will have NO doubt! :cool::cool:

OTOH the actual 50s red model is so tempting...

RadioFM74 likes this.
  2. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

....well I bit and got one and I'm not impressed.
    Sonic Blue "50's".Looked lovely out of the box,the neck tint works well.
    Then the issues started to show..
    1 The neck was misaligned quite a bit,the bottom E coming off the fingerboard edge.

2 The nut is cut with too wide a spacing and biased to the bass side.
    These two factors made it pretty rotten to play out of the box.Intonation was a joke.I can sort these but shouldn't have to.

3 The pickups are apparently "revoiced"...should read massively overwound.
    The bridge reads 8.83...at the jack...remember those awful X-1 "Hot Strat" pickups from the 80's,also Lead 2's?...it's plays exactly how I remember them.
    I even wonder if perhaps its a set from the modified version installed by mistake.
    The neck is not as hot,7.56 but totally lacking in the hollow,woody etc sound I expect.There is a deadness,a lack of sparkle,like driving a car with solid tyres might feel...and this is through pro amps,a '74 JMP,'67 Bandmaster and a Silverface Bassman...it should be airborne...

4 The rear screw for the control plate was drilled so close to the rout it came through and the screw had no grip so had to be plugged.Never saw this carelessness on a classic.

5 The electrics look cheaper than the classics,I remember them with a USA selector switch and decent capacitor,this looks more like an entry level squier under the hood...

6 The tuners seem cheaper,softer feeling too,but they do the job.

Pros?
    Well with all the issues addressed physically its playing great,the neck is super thick,well finished and fretted,it the sort of guitar you can noodle on unplugged for ages.Actually,until I replace the pickups thats probably its use.
    And thats my real gripe..improved pickups were part of the hype around these but I never considered replacing a classic series pickup,nor was I ever asked to.But here is a €850 guitar that needs €125 for a pickup graft out of the box and not as a so-called "upgrade" but just to get it sounding OK.
    Weight,for those who care,7 3/4 lbs on an actual vintage 1950's kitchen scale...not light for alder...
    Overall I'm pretty unimpressed.A buddy has the red on order but is considering cancelling.I'll do a NGD thread when its rewired...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Tim S, Fendereedo and RadioFM74 like this.
  3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

If you found so many defects and deficiencies, why not return it? Sounds like you'll never be happy with it.

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Aw, sorry to hear that. But yeah, from your description it looks like you got a lemon, perhaps even with wrong pickups in it. If I were you I think I'd return it (and I'm not one to do that lightly.... I hate the hassle).

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, that really sucks. Sounds like you got a Monday morning, Friday afternoon build. I've had no such issues with my 70s Custom, in fact fit, finish and pick ups have all been absolutely spot on. The only thing I've had to change was the Jack socket, but I would do that on any Tele. Maybe, you should return it, it wouldn't sit right with me until I had a replacement. You shouldn't have to spend out large amounts of hard earned money for poor craftsmanship.

6. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

.....return?....not a hope,it came from Thomann!....I'd have less hassle returning something to North Korea......!
    It definitely show signs of some careless at final assembly....Mon/Fri for sure!
    I suppose what I'm saying is don't buy online unless you can tech yourself to a degree and be prepared to change pickups if you want a traditional sound...I did consider flipping it but decided to set it up first and changed my mind then...!
    I'm expecting it'll be great with the pickup change,all the other issues are sorted now apart from that,tuners may last forever,my 69 still has it originals,stable as anything.......
    I'll probably rewire etc though as I just don't like the thought of that little "matchead" capacitor in there,I have plenty spare...and do a few more small jobs....oddly that often makes me happier with something...isn't there what is called "the Ikea effect" in marketing?.....you value something more if you've had to some work on it?...
    No,it will be fine but just keep an eye out when buying!

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. RadioFM74

I respect that very much and I'm also more minded to sort out small issues myself rather than engaging in prolonged ping-pong. However, if the readings of the pickups are totally off spec, it might be worth making the point to them. You MIGHT get the new pickups (at the very least) with a hefty rebate.... I'd try this if I were you.

rob2 and Fendereedo like this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I understand your reasoning, and if you are happy to change out stuff yourself, then all power to you. I've bought online before, but never from Thomann, so I'm unfamiliar with their returns policies. If online retailers make it hard to return faulty goods, then they should be pulled up on it. I think what you have gone through, is definitely a timely warning about buying unseen online. Best of luck with the mods.

rob2 and RadioFM74 like this.
  9. RadioFM74

gwjensen likes this.
  10. Tele Sevalas

Tele Sevalas TDPRI Member

I just bought one, it’s bloody awesome looking and sounds amazing and I’ve yet to put on .10s and set it up right! Sounds like the guitar tones you hear on your favorite albums! You just can’t beat fiesta red! The seafoam Strat is next I’d say!
    I ordered and bought it personally from Jimi’s Music Store, Ballymount, Dublin, one of the best guitar shops in Ireland. I never have and will not buy from Thomann so shops like this will keep going. Support local business, it’s better in the long run. BDD6C95F-B855-4E4E-B291-85B5603B6F63.jpeg

baiff, logans_tele, rob2 and 5 others like this.
  11. RadioFM74

What a total beauty!

12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Congrats on a great looking telecaster! I really dig this colour.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  13. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I think........... and maybe it's just me that the Daphne Blue and Surf Green would look better with a single ply white guard.

Just say'n

Gary

14. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

....lovely Tele "Telly";)...look forward to seeing it!

15. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Brilliant urethane on the neck is a no-go to me.

16. Tele Sevalas

Tele Sevalas TDPRI Member

Check her out!!!

hemmings and mimmo like this.
  17. RadioFM74

OK so I just tried one, just like yours. Very, very nice. Just what you’d expect from a well-made 50s style tele!

mimmo likes this.
  18. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

You're not helping me.
    Grazie.

:twisted::p:D

RadioFM74 likes this.
  19. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'd say that anyone willing to shell out for a Vintera series should also consider Fender's Made in Japan options. They have a Traditional series and a Hybrid series - each with '50s and '60s variants.

They are readily available on Reverb, sold by reputable retailers, and priced very competitively relative to the new MIM Vintera pricing.

I think MIM Fender's are fantastic (I have a recent Classic Series '50s Tele)...but I also think MIJ Fender's are out of this world (I have a recent MIJ Hybrid '60s Tele). I paid about the same for each (factoring in shipping, exchange rates, etc.).

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  20. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

it put me off for sure, the mustangs i tried were solo unplayable unfortunately. and people may say probably needs a set up or a fret level, it shouldn't need any of those things coming from fender no? i'm sorry to say but most of the MIM fenders i have tried in tin pan alley had terrible fret work, what's going on with companies these days? beautifully finished guitars but leave the most important thing out? the american made telecaster i tried was perfect though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.