Fender's new "Vintera" series guitars

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telerocker1988, Jun 25, 2019.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Kind of interested in the 70's "Keef" tele. If I happen to run across a used one in a few years. Not sure what's different from the classic series version though.

2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Just discovered this vid on Reverb. Don't think it's been posted yet.

I really like that they are:
    A: demo-ing in a band setting
    B: featuring both Andy and Joe playing together
    C: using a Television song at one point
    D: bothering to demo the basses too

My conclusion; the Vintera stuff looks and sounds good. Nuff said.

Pax/
    Dean

RadioFM74, rider7 and petemoss41 like this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I wasn't referring to quality, production whatever, rather price increases thru the years, just like NOW.

Regarding USA quality etc, I happen to own 4 USA Teles, 88,89, 2008 and 2012, and an 04 USA Strat. Each are exceptional instruments all the way around. I'm not saying they are superior, I am saying that the label of not being good is an old wives tale. We have so many saying oh my xxx is way better than your USA xxx. Which is blatantly false.

Like many, I've owned multiple off shore and across the border guitars,they were all nice but they were not for me. When I moved them, I lost money on every one.

So it works both ways.

This is not an argument about whats better and whats not, my initial comment was specifically responding to those who may think the PRICE increases are due to tariffs, which they are not. Fender and others have been moving the primary profit revenue sources to other manufacturing locations . I don't fault them for this . They have recognized the market and adjusted to it. We are the market, we buy what they offer and we pay whatever the price !

This new line is the perfect example, nice guitars, look good, whatever, but with an approx 25% price increase over what they just discontinued. This was not an overnight decision, this has been in the manufacturing works probably for 2 years.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The MIA std’s do have one feature that is superior to almost all MIM’s/MIC’s : a 1 11/16” nut width.

They’ve thrown so many (all ?) vintage modified models at us with medium jumbo frets and flatter radius but still the 42mm/1.65 width.

I think a lot of very particular guitar buyers are like children when it comes to neck width.

They just accept what they’ve been given ...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I'm developing the hots for that Sonic Blue Custom Tele, but what is a "Thin C" neck?? How does it compare to Modern C?

6. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I never said my MIM Fenders were better than your MIA Fenders. I said they were better than any of my MIA Fenders I've owned over the years.

Also, as far as losing money every time you sold a non-MIA made Fender, I'm sorry to hear that, but that's not specific to just those guitars. Pretty much ANY guitar you buy new then decide to sell later on will take a hit in the used market. It's not like MIA models magically sell used for anywhere they cost new. If you bought used and are an educated, savvy buyer you should, in most cases easily to be able to sell it for what you paid for it across the board, regardless of where it was manufactured.

Tim S, Fendereedo and rider7 like this.
  7. T Prior

I certainly agree , this is mostly true. But not true for ALL . A few indeed will stay the course .

Kinda like the stock market, buy low sell hi.

8. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

SO i bought a vintera 50's modded tele (baja) and just read on sweetwater that the bridge pickup is alnico 2 and 3??? surely this cant be. leave everything on the guitar the same, and switch up the alnico 5 bridge pickup to 2 and 3??????

well i get the guitar tomorrow. we will see how it sounds.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Indeed! The fact is, Fender, like all the guitar manufacturers, relies on US, people already playing, for sales. The number of new players certainly isn't enough to drive the business so they have to come up with new things to entice current users. I tend to buy used, so it doesn't matter so much to me, but NOTE to all - if you stop selling your guitars and keep them in your stable all of us who purchase used guitars would have to buy new ones. It may have an effect on model development and pricing. Just a thought. ;)

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

There also a whole world of players outside of the USA, that really aren't too fussy where Fender make their guitars, just so long as they are great quality and playable. Factors that Fender have been consistent with for a good few years now. Reputation equals sales of new product lines, people like myself, and, yes I'm guilty - love marketing campaigns. I'm a complete sucker when a new Fender line rears it's ugly head lol. ;)

notmyusualuserid and logans_tele like this.
  11. T Prior

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Where are the Vintera Swinger and Custom?

Geo, Twang Deluxe and Matthias like this.
  13. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Does anyone know if Fender will also sell aftermarket Vintera Necks?

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

They still have Classic 50s and Classic 60s necks on offer, maybe they'll upgrade their site when they empty out the inventory of those.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Twang Deluxe likes this.
  15. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

More poly finish while removing lacquer options from the lineup? No thanks.

16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Im actually super interested with this new line, but Im gonna wait til stratosphere parts one up and Im gonna snatch that bigsby equipped body or that lake placid blue one!

heffus likes this.
  17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure I will be getting one of these:

jcmdhojzlole2qvrvexq.jpg

It's the only thing in the line that interests me. I've never had a '70s style Jazz Bass, and the urethane finishes are not all that "vintage-incorrect" in this case. Inca Silver is a rare and absolutely gorgeous color (though I am already building an Inca Silver J bass – but it will have a maple board).

I will be putting on a white guard, thumb rest, and chrome covers, though, and dyeing the board as dark as I can get it. And I'll probably strip the headstock face and refin it in nitrocellulose, just so it ages like the old ones in the '70s (which had nitro headstock faces).

18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

It’s a mathematical certainty that they’ll come up with a nitro line or nitro FSR, relic’d (ex road worn) or mint.

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Update: I just tried my first Vintera. A 50s strat in white blonde. They did not have the red tele, dang.

First impression after 10 minutes of noodling into a rather generic amp is extremely positive:
    - very impressed with the neck: great meaty profile, no fretting out anywhere... a neck I could play every day all day. If there’s a “V” in there, it’s definitely very soft. I never liked the neck of the Classic 50s strat, so I see a definite improvement there.
    - fit and finish were excellent, and the guitar was really beautiful. My favorite colors in strats are 50s white blonde and 60s OW/Rosewood, and this one really nailed the charm of a 50s blonde.
    - tones. Disclaimer: I'm not terribly picky - gimme vintage-style strat tones and I'm happy. Well, this one put a smile on my face in every position even if it was not set up perfectly (volume jumps between positions). I've been Steve-Raying, then JimmieVaughaning, and Hendrixing, then AlbertLee-ing away, always happily … in spite of the amp not being one of my faves.

All in all, IMHO, a winner and a distinct improvement over the Classic 50s strats I tried before. I'm not in the market for a 50s strat right now but when I'll be, this one will be a contender along with the AV56.

As for price increases: as regards the “traditional” Vinteras, which are the only ones I’m interested in, they’re modest to nonexistent. In the shop where I tried the guitar, it went from ≈750-800 for a Classic 50s to 830€ for the new Vintera. Buying online in Italy, there’s a shop selling Vinteras for the same price as a “lowball” Classic (about 700€).

I look forward to testing a red 50s Tele as soon as possible. The fiesta red /maple finish immediately brings up welcome associations to Ricky Skaggs, and the “early 50s U neck” is a big draw… At that point, GAS might go out of control and I might buy one or two guitars that I absolutely don’t need. Somebody help me! @mimmo, help! No, not @mimmo he’ll make me buy three… :p

mimmo and orangeblossom like this.
  20. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looking forward to your review. I am gassing for the fiesta red 50’s tele as well.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.