Fender's new "Vintera" series guitars

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telerocker1988, Jun 25, 2019.

1. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

Vintage era.........VINTera.....Vintera

GGardner likes this.
  2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

The only mildly interesting aspects of this rename/reprice exercise, to me, are:
    - the new Fiesta Red 50s tele … I’ll want to try one to see how the neck is… “U” is encouraging
    - the new Blonde 50s strat (but again it all depends on the neck).

Sorry to see the lacquer versions out of the market (?), especially the 50s blonde tele, but I’m pretty sure they’ll be back somehow and meanwhile there is a used market for these.

The one potential downgrade I see is the pickups of the new “Modded ‘60s” tele: as I’ve said (too) many times, the Baja 60s has a spectacular set of pickups and I’m not sure the new ones are the same. As for the venerable Baja 50s, it would seem it’s a simple price markup as the specs seem to indicate that they have not changed the pickups.

3. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Gotcha. Too subtle for my liking. How about, "Mintage"?

Folks, after a comprehensive analysis and in-depth research of market analytics, we've devised a product line that combines customer-facing notions of "mint" condition and valuable "vintage." Ladies and gentlemen, we present to you the Mintage Telecaster!

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Tariffs are taxes.

DanDII and Telebeestar like this.
  5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Sure but that doesn't mean you FORGET what you learned along the way does it ?

Who said anyone is living in the past or should ? Its called historical perspective.

Fender has how many 50's models now over how many decades ?

Seems to me they may be living in the past !

"New Improved 50's Telecaster, better than the last 50's Telecaster, which was better than the one before that "

And we rush out to buy them ! :)

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wheres the pitchforks and torches for alder 50s Tele bodies???

Wildwood has a few, look at the Vintera 50s neck, this is what I'm talking about:

Neck Shape: Early '50s "U"
    Neck Dimensions: .940 1st - 1.000 12th

heffus likes this.
  7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

is that made up? i just think of the guy from the sandman with teeth for eyes.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Not taking sides, but just to be clear: When the USA imposes a tariff on XYZ's product, it assumes that XYZ will pass on that added cost to its consumers. The government's hope is that when faced w/ the price increase, the American consumer will opt for a less expensive alternative and, as a result, XYZ will suffer/lose sales.

But if you intend to buy the product regardless of the price, then the tariff only hurts you. XYZ still sells its product.

On the other hand, if enough people decide to not buy the product, then XYZ gets hurt. But there may also be adverse domestic ramifications (e.g., up and down the supply chain, retail sellers, transporters, etc.).

rider7 likes this.
  10. Fritz303

Fritz303 TDPRI Member

GGardner is correct. If I am a decision maker for Fender I may want to mitigate financial impact of tariffs on my Mexican products. A modest change in Mexican models along with a price increase covers that. All the better if tariffs aren’t implemented. Just the healthy rambling of a skeptic.

rider7 likes this.
  11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

How come nobody complained over the last several years that the Made in China or MIM guitar prices increased, and what was the reason for the price increases ? When the Classic Vibes hit the market they were in the $279 range, now similar guitars are easily $100 more.

How come MIM guitars started at around $249 and are something more than double that now ? The USA guitars have not doubled in that same time period. I believe we are looking out the wrong window to explain price increases.

The so called MIM TARIFFS are in the 5% range if at all, the guitars have gone up in the 25% range and beyond.

Its highly possible we have been trained to accept higher prices because thats exactly what we have been doing !

12. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Vintira is between Oxnird and Sinta Birbira.

speranza, Telecaster88 and hotrodkid like this.
  13. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

In all fairness the $249 MIM was a LOOOONG time ago, and coupled with inflation and the fact that you’re not really being fair and comparing the MIM Standard of old and the current lineup of MIM offerings which are lightyears beyond the MIM's from the past. There’s a massive difference between a 90’s MIM Standard with mini pots, lower quality components, etc. and say, a Classic 50’s Tele (or newer Vintera mode) where they use the same pots and wiring as a USA made Tele, more desirable and vintage specific specs, some have lacquer finishes, some come with HSC’s, and overall the fit and finish and quality is ridiculously better than those OG MIM Standards. Heck, even the newest incarnation of MIM Standards (Player Series I think) are many levels above the original MIM Standards.

I personally don’t own any MIA made Fenders anymore. Not worth it in my book. Once I got a used Classic 50’s Tele many years ago for $350 used and dropped in a set of OV pickups and brass saddles I sold my 52AVRI. Both weighed the same, darn near identical neck shape, and the Classic 50s actually sounded better. Since then I also sold a gorgeous ‘76 Precision and a couple American Standard Precision and Jazz basses and now only have a MIM Classic 50’s lacquer Precision and a 2008 Classic Vibe 60’s Jazz Bass. Both are incredible and I prefer them over the American made basses. The days of MIA Fenders being superior simply because they’re made in the USA are long gone. The fit, finish and quality of the MIM instruments is as good, and in some cases better than what the U.S. factory is putting out.

I don’t really know anything about the Vintera models but will say with confidence that the Classic 50’s Teles are more in line with the original intention of what the Tele originally was, which was a no frills, honest to goodness working man’s guitar at an affordable price and are vintage specific enough to please a lot of people who aren’t hung up on where the guitar was made.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    NewKid likes this.
  14. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Double post

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  15. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Ha. They fixed it:
    “Fender has re-voiced a new version to be closer than ever to the original for the Vintera series, coming as close as possible to the characteristic tone of the rare, original spec CuNiFe (Copper-Nickel-Iron) magnets.”

16. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Just saw these. I did not read all ten pages here. ;)

If I were in the market, the two modified Tele's would be high on my list to look at and play. I've had both maple and rosewood boards but have no preference; either can feel great or feel bad depending on the particular guitar. I'd likely lean towards a Surf Green '50s though.

I like the electronics on the modified versions. I've had three of my Teles set up with both 4-way switch & a phase switch. I think it's a great combo. I prefer a phase switch over a three pickup Tele. And while I have always had vintage 7.25 radius, going to 9.5 would be nice for bends and slide playing.

As soon as a win a lottery (wouldn't really need to be a big ticket, just a little something), I'll post the pictures of my new guitar.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Cool. When I hit the lottery, I'll post a photo of my beach house complete w/ batting cage & pitching machine.

DanDII, rob2 and telel6s like this.
  18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

PMSL!
    It's all in a name.

19. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

If you win the lottery you could buy a real-life MLB pitcher and have a human pitching machine!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    GGardner likes this.
  20. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Hit up the Nationals' relievers and you could probably get several real-life pitchers.

TwangerWannabe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.