1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fenders most underrated amp..?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Warm Gums, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Gotta say, +1 on the Champ 12 (I know, OD channel is caca w/out mods, but who seeks Fender for it's drive channels?!?) BUT as an admittedly bias (amp pun intended) owner of a red knob "The Twin", it KILLS me the sheer volume of misinformation floating on the boards. I've actually seen (not here) 'senior members' casually dismiss them with comments like "anything w/red knobs are all solid state I think'!?! They're cork-sniffer-y, or lack of interest beyond their own Tweeds, or Black/Brown etc Face amps is disturbing.
    They're also often refered to as "Evil Twins", or being from the "Rivera Era" they are neither. Having lived with one (and a bone stock 76 Silverface Twin) for awhile now, I'm still learning new ways to utilize this amazingly versatile amp.
    With all the avail. settings, the cleans are as Fender as it gets, the spectrum of tones is very broad, they pair perfectly with any guitar/pickup config you throw at them, dead quiet, CAN be played at a reasonable home volume (esp. using pedal level as pseudo attenuator if bedroom vol. is needed), take pedals EXTREMELY well, and if you want loud, brother they can make the paint peel and the dishes shoot off the shelf. And they're rock-solid reliable. I'm the second owner of mine, and had long conv. with original owner, never needed servicing of any type when he lived with it, and none since. Granted, it's not a Blackface, Tweed etc., but what is?
    When I run it in stereo w/my 76, you'd have to pry me outta my chair before I'd walk away from that setup voluntarily. Great, great amps, and cheap as hell. Browse GC website's used section, (with no location restrictions set, they'll transfer to any store), and you'll find 'em all day for sub 500 for a moderately worn example, and not much more for pristine; for now. As with anything Fender, or Gibson etc., as we get further away from their date of issue, and more people figure this myth out, they'll start climbing. Seeing Robben Ford and many many other respected players using them woven into their touring rigs doesn't help keep prices down either. Heck, I remember when SFs were scoffed at, and could be had at similar prices, now they're reissuing those; and their prices are escalating more and more every year.
    Wow, didn’t mean to get all defens-o there! Oh well, maybe someone will take a second look at one of these gems after reading this, and I’ll bet they’ll be glad they did; even if they start out trying one just to disprove my contentions, my guess is if you’re honest, and go in with an open mind, you’ll find similar results.

Attached Files:

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The little SS Japanese Sidekick amps

3. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I also really liked my Princeton 65. Great clean and loud amp. I gave it to my son, who didn't appreciate it and got rid of it. I'd buy another if I could find one around here.

4. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

That's easy.....Deluxe VM and Frontman 212 (with good speakers)

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 with Jake adn Colorado Jeff....
    NO doubt in my mind, ime, the Pro Sonic is the most undervalued amp on the market....of any brand. IT is the first FEnder amp since the Rivera/Jahns era handwired Fenders that I have bonded with. It is the on ly Fender amp that can match the Super Champ/PRinceton REv II/ DEluxe REv II amps of that Rivera/Jahs era for versatility....and itmay be a tad more versatile than those amps due to the rectifier/biasing swithc on the back. The Pro Sonic totally dominates the bigger amps of the Rivera/Jahns era, imho. The Concert and the TRII just don't very well get into the overdrive territory or the tweed sounds that the PRo Soinc and the smaller Rivera/Jahns era amps get into.
    Pro Sonic,indeed.

6. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

I gotta say that new pawn series amp (what's it called?) with the 2 speakers in it sounds pretty damn good to me!

J5

7. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

Fender's most under rated vintage amp is the Blackface Bandmaster. One of the best values out there in a vintage amp. You can get heads in the $500 to $600 range and they sound awesome. They seem to be less popular as they have a solid state rectifier and wimpy transformers. (compared to the Bassman or Super Rev) I disagree totally as I own one and gig with it regularly. They are awesome and way under rated. All tube 40W, 2 channel with roach vibrato. Really, really sounds great.

8. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

The Bandmaster rev heads seem like a sleeper deal around here.There was one the C List here built into a blond combo for 750. See the heads for 500 and up.If I was playing out I would have bought that combo. The non rev heads go 300 and up,never tried one though.Played thru a minty Prosonic at my old practice space for two years,but never got too jazzed about it.With new tubes the thing would just get saggier sounding as the night wore on,gigged it too,same thing.No matter where I set the rectifier switch.Seems like folks mess with these a lot before they have an amp they like? Has the old Brown Pro years ago when they were 200 bucks,liked that one a lot,loud as hell too.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just going to say Bandmaster Reverb. I had mine re-capped and gone over by a tech after buying it for around $300 in a pawn shop. The reverb tank was missing and it still had the two prong power cable. After the tech went through it, I still didn't have much more then $500 in it and it's one of my favorite amps.

Non-verb Bandmasters are nice, too. Remember, the Bassman was orignally supposed to be a bass amp and the Bandmaster the guitar version. The other guitarist in my first band had one. The steel player and I had Twin's and with a single JBL 15" cab we could always hear him. Of course, we never got too carried away.

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

For me the SF BMR...

11. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Several of their very underrated SS amps come to mind. Pretty much the entire Frontman series, add a decent speaker, stay away from the drive channels and they are surprisingly good. The Jazzmaster Ultralight, the Jazz-King, don't know why Fender killed any chance of these amps making it by putting the Jazz label on them. A lot of great tones from any one of these. Toss up between the Frontman 25r or 65r being a best buy.

12. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I know some of you will disagree because this amp seems to get a lot of love around here, but the Super Reverb is something of a red-headed stepchild among the larger Fender amps. Sure, we can all point to artists who have used one, but apart from a handful of Blues players it just isn't that well represented when you consider how few hit songs were recorded on one.

13. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Yale Reverb

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'll put another plug in for the 75 model.
    I owned two, both the 12 and 15 inch models.
    Both sounded great clean, and driven.
    Both were completely road worthy and dependable.
    Both reverbs were nice sounding.
    They pop up for sale around here fairly often.
    I guess they are 30-ish years old now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.