1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fenders and cigarettes

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lazerface, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Nasty crack along that headstock. Did cigarettes cause it?

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

OK, we get it! Once you've made your point it's unnecessary to turn a thread into a crusade. This started as innocent fun. IMO, you're pushing this into political terrritory, which is always what happens with any thread that has anything to do with smoking. You can bet the mods are already watching this one.

And yes, you are being preachy.

As a non-smoker, I can honestly say, this thread is hilarious. For the most part.

3. John Page

John Page Tele-Meister

I remember in the early years of the Fender Custom Shop, maybe '90 or 91-ish, we were contacted by Eric Clapton (we made all of his Strats). He was tired of burning the pegheads on all of these beautiful guitars we were making him and asked if we could design something to hold his cigs at the peghead for him. I had him send a pack of his favorite brand to make sure I got it right for the diameter of his cigs. Then I designed an internally tapered brass cylinder that the cig would swedge into. We just drilled a hole in the side of the peghead just below where he would normally stick it, and glued in the brass cylinder. He loved it... for a few years anyway... he dubbed that guitar "smoker". It was sold during his first big Christies auction as I recall.

Just a bit of peghead smoker trivia...

4. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

If anything is hilarious here it's this response from you. I suggest you take a little more time to read my responses before accusing me of "turning this thread into a crusade". ....and oh..."political territory"...never heard of anything so laughable. You really should get about more!!:lol:

Oh and yes...the mods are indeed discussing this as I type. I expect it to be removed very soon!!....bye!!

5. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

I remember that guitar John. Think it was on the cover of Backless...could be wrong though.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

+1

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hard to disagree with you.

8. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cymro14
    Get rid of the cigs. Anyway here in UK you can't smoke indoors anywhere. Must be the same in US. Filthy, disgusting, dangerous habbit. Stop it now while you can.

Quote:
    Everything you do in life carries a risk...crossing the street etc,etc So cut your risks. If you ever saw someone close dying of lung cancer perhaps you'd think again. Sure didn't make life worth living mate!! ..same with alcohol, diets etc...just be sensible. Playing a real neat Tele and a round of golf help make life worth living too!!

Quote:
    Probably dead!

Quote:
    Not preachy...I don't do it.Just do what floats your boat. Just responding to a theme I happen to feel strongly about. Sure you have strong feelings about some things..... hmm?

i must say, i did not expect it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  10. Lazerface

Lazerface Tele-Holic

Its so right that im still smoking as i'm reading these responses!

11. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

How many times do I need to read 'em? I think the four or five I already did before I posted is plenty to form an informed opinion. Maybe you need to learn what words mean before you get hot under the collar and start hurling insults.

12. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

13. blues dues

blues dues Tele-Meister

Poetry my man

14. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

It's a touchy subject, why don't we just leave it at that. Good on you for quitting though.

15. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

I dont smoke because I want to, I smoke because I have to.

16. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

If you think I'm being preachy you really need to go back to some kind of educational institute where you get the chance to examine texts and distinguish between the different genres of language. Your "informed" opinion is certainly a misinformed opinion Mr Merlin. If you can't take what is presented before you then I kindly suggest you refrain from posting on threads such as these which are designed to voice opinions as part of our wonderful democratic society.

17. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

My Fender Roadworn P-Bass has a phony cig burn mark on it.

<ducks>

/I don't smoke

18. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I nearly slugged an acquaintance that put a cigarette on the headstock of my '62 Jazzmaster back in the day.

I figured if I could play with an ashtray on my amp he could at least use it.

19. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

That sounds like me ^^ about three months ago.
    then I got myself an electronic vaporising kit, e-cigarette in short, and haven't smoked since. not one.
    perhaps that's a way out for you too?

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/tornado-ego-c-products.html

they look silly tucked in at the headstock and won't leave any burn marks so I'll just put it in the shirt pocket. :lol:

20. mishek

mishek Tele-Meister

Ha ha. I put my smoke in my headstock occasionally when I am playing outside. I don't let it burn low enough to burn/stain the wood though.
    I don't smoke inside, which is why I have to play outside.

FWIW, I didn't smoke between October last year and May this year, but I got fed up wanting a smoke all the time, so back to Cig City for me.

P.S. Telling me not to smoke is going to be like telling me I shouldn't have a baby blue pickguard on a lime green Tele, with four humbuckers wired in parallel and with gold hardware- Played through a Marshall Mini-Stack.

If I want to, I shall. My Life, My Lungs, My Guitar. . .

But thanks for caring tho, Bro.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.