1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Will Ray Jazz-a-Caster pickup info

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by slimfinger, Oct 14, 2020.

1. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

I've owned a Fender Will Ray Jazz-A-Caster since around 2000, and among my 8 or 9 tele-style instruments it's pretty much my number-one choice these days because it's so versatile and has big, clear bottom end.

Does anyone know the story on the pickups? All I know is they were custom-designed by Seymour Duncan for that guitar, according to Will's specifications or flavor profile, and were supposed to be a hotter version of the traditional Jazzmaster pickup. Other than the overall shape, they don't really seem like Jazzmaster pickups to me although they sound closer to that than, say, strat or tele pickups. One obvious difference is that the rather large pole-pieces are adjustable.

I'm just wondering if any technically minded players out there might have more details, especially first-hand info from taking them apart and doing the analytics.

Thanks.

121628294_338569810739462_1648153090162672258_n.jpg

2. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Probably bar magnets and construction similar to a P90?

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Agreed they must have bar magnets underneath like a P90.

Fender put similar bar rather than pole magnet JM pickups in the Classic Player JM and a couple of Squier JM models.
    No clue about other specs though.

Cool guitar!
    I run a single JM bridge pickup in my Strat, my main guitar.

slimfinger likes this.
  4. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

Interesting. I didn't know that the Classic Player JM had bar magnets. Is there any way to confirm this on my pickups without disassembling them?

5. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

The Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster has P90ish pickups in a Jazzmaster casing, I never remember all the details but bar magnet construction rings a bell

Edit: found this

Screenshot_20201018_194603_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wow.

I'd never known about this guitar before.

I guess I knew Will played something else before he worked out a deal with G + L, but I never thought to investigate.

Thanks for the thread!

slimfinger likes this.
  7. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

They are custom made Seymour Duncan's. That's about all I know.

8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

email SD company ??

slimfinger likes this.
  9. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I have no clue, either, about those pickups specs, but this is a very interesting model. It is on my "wanted" list for years now, but those WR Jazz-A-Caster are as rare as hen's teeth...

10. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

That Cal Webway and slimfinger like this.
  11. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

Thanks, I just wrote to him :)

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Report back when you get the answer!
    If you get some details on the guitar and pickups it might be worth starting a new thread.
    The way the TDPRI works now is they don't put new posts on old threads up in the top of the recent posts feed, because they decided old threads are inappropriate.
    Start a new one and we will all see it!

13. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

I'm guessing that they will be similar to the G&L Mfd's as fitted to the ASAT special's.

14. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

Will wrote back the day I emailed him, saying:

I gave Seymour a G&L ASAT Special single coil and said this is the kind of sound I want. And he delivered. All I know is that it uses a ceramic magnet instead of Alnico. Hope that helps.​

I assume he was referring to G&L's Jumbo Magnetic Field Design single coils, the last pickup Leo Fender designed and probably the best thing about G&L guitars. They're like Jazzmaster pickups in that the coil is broad and shallow rather than narrow and deep like P90s, but instead of pole magnets there's a ceramic bar magnet. And they have a steel plate at the bottom like tele pickups. So I reckon the jazzmaster reference refers to the shallow, broad coil and size of the cover.

Will followed a day later with a second email:

Incidentally, I had talked to Seymour about pickups before that and he mentioned that the Jazzmaster PU has such a large housing that you have plenty of room to put almost any design of PU in there. The seed was planted then. Thank you, Seymour.
    I've written to SD for information, and not received anything back so far. All I know is that among the 9 teles I've owned, I always choose this one for gigs where I'm paired with another guitarist using humbuckers. It's the only single-coil-equipped guitar I have that will always punch through the mix, no matter what. If they were still available after-market, I'd try them in another guitar.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  15. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

Bingo. Will's answer led me to this DylanTalksTone video where he talks about ASAT pickup construction.

Norrin Radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.