1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender VS G&L for Telecasters

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tobes, Mar 30, 2013.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

That's because it's an "ASAT Classic Custom" not an "ASAT Classic Bluesboy" - I'm pretty sure the ASAT Classic Custom came out a few years after the Bluesboys (which may have originally been a special run for Buffalo Brothers Guitars in California).

I had this one briefly - I didn't care for the neck and wound up moving it on (this one had an almost D shape).

[​IMG]

2. editorjuno

editorjuno Tele-Afflicted

The last time I checked, the choice of fretboard radii was either old-fashioned 7.5" or nearly flat 12" -- IMO the Tribute ASATs are perfect in that respect @ 9" radius with medium jumbo frets, YMMV.

3. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

Nice rig.

4. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is an amazing deal for a 100% custom

5. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it's an ASAT Classic Custom. I was a rep and had it made. Tobacco sunburst, cream pick guard and pickup cover, 12" radius gun oil tint neck and I could find no seam anywhere on the body.

I sold it because I saw some financial difficulties coming. Guess what? It never happened! I was V...E...R...Y... bummed! Talk about jumping the gun!

6. Tobes

Tobes TDPRI Member

Thanks for all of your replies!
    You seem to all be pretty keen on the G&L's.
    The Classic Alnico is definitely an option, I'll have to look further into that one. How is its tone compared to the Classic Custom? I'm guessing it would sound a little warmer because of the alnico. Is the output lower or higher?
    I really need to compare a few of the G&L's side by side, but I live in the ACT, and the music stores around here kind of just stock Strats and Pauls... :rolleyes:

7. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I recently picked up an American ASAT Classic with a 7 1/2 in radius and I truly love it. Had to raise the action a bit to help for bends due to it fretting out, but it is truly amazing. All of my other guitars have 12 - 14 inch radius fret boards. I really like the sound of the pickups. It is the first time I truly like a neck pickup. I am going to try a Tribute with a 9 inch radius just to see if I like that better, but this was hard to pass up for what I paid for it. Might even see about a custom. Only real Fender tele I liked was the new one with the compound radius fret board. I believe it is an American Deluxe. Tried it side by side with my G&L and I preferred my G&L and that Fender is a great guitar. My ASAT is ash in a blue burst which is not my favorite color, but I can live with that for now. Good luck on your search and don't just take my word for it, play a few of them. My taste might not be your taste and that's okay.

8. Volitan

Volitan Tele-Holic

I own both, and here's my opinion.

The G&L feels more streamlined. The body, at least the one I have, is slightly thinner. Like, maybe a 1/4 inch. But it's noticible, at least to me. The neck for me, feels a little more...tactile?

As for sound, it doesn't have as much grind when distorted. My Fender has slightly more "chainsaw" quality when distorted. Which i like. The G&L has a little more twang or "plank" when clean. A slight bit more chime.

9. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

This sounds about right. MFDs are on the "hifi" side. Very quiet for single coils, very wide range. Smooth response. Refined. My other solid body has a filtertron and a Tele bridge pup, which is, when run hard, raw, biting, slightly microphonic. Sounds like it's on to verge of running out of control. I love it. Gotta have both.

P

10. DrummerStrummer

DrummerStrummer Tele-Meister

I know my opinion probably doesn't mean a rats ass to anyone but I have a G&L asat classic hollow-body and it's the best guitar I've ever owned. I tried out a fender deluxe too just to compare and (don't get me wrong, the fender is a grand instrument) but the G&L was just a step higher. I also payed less for a higher quality guitar because it was G&L

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You can swap out the 6 Hammer saddle bridge of the ASAT Classic, Classic Custom or Bluesboy for a 3 barrel saddle bridge meant for a Fender Tele (4 mount hole variety).

[​IMG]

Caveat to those who imagine the reverse is also true. No, IMO the ASAT Classic bridge does not work right with narrow Fender necks; the outboard strings play off the edges.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's not my experience. If someone had evidence one (USA Fender or USA G + L) was thicker and I had to guess what their data shows, I would guess the G + L body (the USA ones) were thicker. Although, part of this impression may be that the "S" shaped ones have less contouring than do Fender Strats.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Also, if you're looking for a hardtail bridge, the G&L SaddleLock bridge is awesome. Very comfortable to play on, if your style is to rest your hand on the bridge.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

G&Ls are notably thinner! 1-9/16". It's one of my favorite of their features. It's similar to the thickness that Leo Fender used on the earliest of his guitars, and later on student models. I makes them very slender, and also cuts the body's weight by 10% vs. a 1-3/4" body. That's about 6.5 oz. off of an average 4 lb. Fender body – not a lot, but also not insignificant.

15. editorjuno

editorjuno Tele-Afflicted

I never used an ASAT bridge on a Tele, but I successfully put a set of ASAT Classic hammers in a Deluxe Nashville with no such symptom, although I eventually gave up on ashtray bridges entirely and settled on a Gotoh. The Gotoh also works fine on ASAT Classics -- I just had to shim the neck angle a bit to get my semi-hollow Tribute's saddle height to my liking.

16. kanegon

kanegon Tele-Meister

Q: are G&L necks compatible with Fender bodies?

An ASAT semi-hollow with an MFD at the neck and a Baja neck could be interesting. I actually liked the MFDs on my F100, but they were humbuckers with coil split and phase switch.

17. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

No G&L necks are not interchangeable with Fender necks. The plus to this is you cannot parts-cast a G&L. If you look at G&L neck options I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

To the OP

G&L hands down makes a better guitar than Fender. Plus when you buy a G&L it's to your specs not some standard spec sheet mass produced GC product.

In my opinion given the option the only reason someone would choose Fender over G&L is they are stuck on the brand "Fender" in that case you'll never convince them to get a G&L.

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

G&L necks are longer (22 fret, but not via an overhang), and the screw holes are located farther from the nut. However, a true custom builder (i.e. not just any CNC-dedicated shop) can hand make a replacement neck (without the G&L headstock, technically). I know; I had one made by J. Carruthers years ago when my Skyhawk's neck broke. It was expensive, at around $300 in '90's money, but G&L wanted nearly 3x as much.

19. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

The G&L neck replacement has been an issue for many thru the yrs.

I'm surprised some of the parts makers couldn't have worked a deal of with G&L.
    Maybe the demand is too low.

20. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Of course let's bear in mind that this issue is no different than it is with every guitar ever made that did not have a Fender spec bolt-on neck. Break the neck on a set neck guitar and you have a lot more trouble than you do replacing a G&L neck. The trick is not breaking the neck of your guitar.

P

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.