Fender vs. Cheaper model telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Whiteymin, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Whiteymin

Whiteymin TDPRI Member

I have a Fender tele. It has always sounded good. I recently purchased Harley Benton telecaster. I've had it a couple months now. The Fender has tex me pickups in it and the Harley Benton has Altec Noiseless hot stacked pickups

I play both daily and find myself going back and forth about which one sounds best and which one feels and plays best. Some days I like the sound of one over the other.
    There are even days that one sounds more bluesy than the other and next it be opposite. I guess what I'm trying to say is a Harley Benton though cheap stands up great to a Fender. I think overall feel of harly benton is best but Fender is faster. I could go on and on. Anyone ever have an expensive and cheap one you played equally as much?

Jazzerclean and 68Telebass like this.
  2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

It's all in how you bond with it.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I assume you mean Artec pickups, because Altec makes speakers, not pickups, lol
    There are many affordable guitars made these days that hold up very well against more expensive ones with minor upgrades like pickups. Some don't even need that.

aging_rocker likes this.
  4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Glad you have options, and both seem to be winners as well!!
    Amazing how much guitar you can get for short money these days!!

5. JWH7

JWH7 TDPRI Member

This is my first telecaster. I bought a squier knowing I can upgrade the parts should give me a good playing good sounding tele as good as a higher priced Fender. I have had the guitar for a month. I made it sound better with the help of new Texas Special pickups. The playability was horrible. its a lot better now after sanding leveling crown and polish the frets. I still have fret buzz. i'm thinking of sanding the frets down a little more. what else is there. the frets are to tall for the right action. the frets are at .050 high. I found a cardboard shim under the neck when I removed it. I dont know if that is the cause of my fret buzz problem or not. to shim the neck or not to shim is where I'm at trying to get ride of the string buzz. any helpful suggestions from my more experienced tele brothers?

6. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I prefer my cheap Squier Bullet Tele over my Fender Player. The Fender player is nice but my Bullet is better, hmmm it was only $240

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.