Fender Vintera Neck Partly Unfinished?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cucurrucucu, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

1FC6798E-0668-4786-A7F1-35C3BDF59FFE.jpeg I first was very enthusiastic with craftsmanship but... after a closer on mine... I noticed that my neck has flaws like glue residue see picture... uneven tint and they don’t bother to fill the Gap between the fret tang and the fret board. We should not excuse those things on Mexican Fender. Look at a 500$ (canadian) Classic Vibe Squier. No flaws perfect craftsmanship. So why accept that from MIM Fender ?
    Yes otherwise, I’ll keep it. The pickups sounds really good and I love the neck profile of the 50’s modified.

2. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Beaulenn66, if you're not happy and I can see why you aren't, I'd make sure to let Fender and your retailer know. Otherwise, they assume everything is A OK.

Beaubien66 likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

you think?

just play it

4. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Maybe it is how they were made in the CBS Period. A Period Correct cost saving ?

Matthias likes this.
  5. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Yes you are right. I talked with Fender customer service. I have to bring my guitar to a Fender authorized Repair Center for evaluation. À suivre !

6. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

As mentioned before, if it plays very well, keep it. You could have a worst defect.
    But I would prefer a VM Tele. The quality seems better, having a VM Jag and having tried a VM Tele in a different store that was perfect. And yes, I’m OCD too... ;-)

Beaubien66 likes this.
  7. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself TDPRI Member

I know some of the Vintera models have “satin” finished backs. Could be just the headstock and fingerboard is gloss and the rest is satin or matte. Is the rest of the back of the neck finished the same way? If so it’s normal.

8. Metal Guru

Metal Guru TDPRI Member

That's not glue residue, it's the finish.
    The frets are installed before the finish is applied.
    You know, as you own and play a guitar, it gets scratched and dinged eventually. If you examine every guitar with a microscope, you are setting an impossible standard and you will be disappointed with everything.
    If it plays good and sounds good, keep it. Guitars like that are hard to find.
    The best sounding guitar that I own is the most beat up? Why? It got used precisely because it sounds good.

Wildcard_35 and Beaubien66 like this.
  9. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What is the deal with the metal disk in the heel of the neck ? Do these have micro tilt or something ?

10. Jmfranc

Jmfranc TDPRI Member

I would not touch it. And who knows if this is more consistent on this year‘s model and could be something that people look for if you ever go to sell it down the road. They see a high gloss sealed end on the heel and they assume that it’s been altered in someway. Someone who would buy this guitar from you may know that this is a standard finish, or lack of, and if it’s not there it will raise a question in their mind. I’ve been building guitars for 15 years and I can promise you this will have absolutely zero effect on the playability or setup. Unless you soaked the neck in water overnight it will never absorb more than 1-2% moisture in a depth of about 1/16”. If you like it - keep it. But keep it original condition.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think the only reason you think this an issue is the design of fenders you can see the end of the wood there.

I asked about this at Taylor.. they were adamant finish on that part of the neck and body is poor for the fit of the body/neck and makes it harder to set the neck angle precisely. They finish the neck & body without making the neck pocket and then CNC away the finish and wood to ensure no finish can be in the neck pocket or on the mating surface on the neck. If the body is finished after the neck pocket is machined the finish interferes with the fit.

But they design their guitars so you can't see the unfinished wood.. so people don't complain. Fender lets you see it.

No need to worry about moisture cause you're not going to spill drinks on your guitar and you're going to keep it in a nice case with humidity control right?

I've never taken the neck off my Tele but did loosen the bolts to see if I could "set" it tighter into the pocket.. I can't remember if they have finish in the pocket.

All modern fenders should have all the body routes painted with that conductive black paint and grounded IIRC. Players and Vinteras and later Standards should all have it.

12. oldunc

oldunc TDPRI Member

Not a big problem probably, but wood does absorb moisture mostly through end grain and this could destabilize the neck a bit. No need to remove the neck- I would simply mask the body/pickup with a piece of tape and use a small brush to put on a bit of lacquer, probably 2 or 3 coats as it will soak it in. You could even use an oil finish- it won't look perfect but will solve any possible structural difficulty.

13. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

I had came to conclusion that I will just clean up the frets (easy task), fill the gap under the tang and enjoy it... when I discovered a 3 inch line crack in the finish close to the control plate. Finally resign to return it. :(

The dealer offer me to exchange for another Vintera... but he still had a NOS American Special Telecaster in Lake Placid Blue. Hard to resist ! The only intriguish thing is the neck is Maple ?
    I thought they were all Rosewood...

gtech likes this.
  14. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

You are right. I shouldn't had bought those OptiVisor Headband Magnifier from StewMac. :-D Now everything seems imperfect around me :))

And it is true that one of my preferred guitar is an old battered Sigma DM-18.

thesjkexperienc likes this.
  15. DrBeezus

DrBeezus TDPRI Member

get ready to be without your guitar for 6-8 months if you do that

Beaubien66 likes this.
  16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

When I build guitars I always tape off the areas that touch so I don’t have any finish on finish. I’d like to think it helps tone and sustain, but it’s probably so small it can’t be measured. Lack of finish will not hurt anything. I have 8 year old guitars built like I do and they are better than any actual Fender I have played.

If it’s a great guitar keep it!

17. 66 Esquire

66 Esquire TDPRI Member

I wouldn't worry too much about this.. it is a thin coat lacquer on these models and that's a good thing compared to some of the heavily coated finishes on 70s necks. Many players sand off the finish completely in the neck pocket area to get a snug fit. I have done this on my Cabronita but then sealed it again with oil. If you rub in oil yourself it will generally blend in .

18. ridinaround

ridinaround NEW MEMBER!

I recently picked up a 50s Modified Vintera Tele online because I dig the color daphne blue and you hardly ever see it! Anyway, I'm disappointed in the build quality for a thousand bucks... MIM or otherwise.

In my case I also see just a bit of that gunk on the frets too but that's not a big deal IMO. Worse though, on my instance the fret ends were never dressed to any degree whatsoever. It wasn't fret sprout either. It was poor finishing. They were clearly just installed or installed and snipped, and then sent off to paint. Run your hand along the neck and just... ugh... sharp corners on headstock and body side of every fret end. It was a huge letdown but I had the tools and the patience -- some patience anyway -- to lightly dress the ends even with the gloss poly finish on top. Fortunately the satin finish back and sides made it a bit easier to work with. One or two of the frets had very slightly lifted ends on one side as well but my patience had run out and I had no intention of dealing with them.

As I had the guitar under some good light to work on it I also saw about a quarter-sized swirly almost S-shaped mark in the color under the clear right on the front of the body. It almost like someone picked a hair out of the color before it dried. Not much you can do about that. Let's see... what else... a neck plate that was over-torqued to the degree that it had a large arch in it -- backing off the screws a bit got rid of most of that and the neck was still tight. The pickguard I had already planned to replace with a matte finish black but it also had a bunch of defects in the plastic after I removed the skin that it ships with just to check it out. Minor body paint chipping around the string ferrules on the back of the body too. Again, not much you can do there. Switch plate that was loose on one end and needed to be shifted around a bit and then tightened up.

On the positive side the actually playability -- which I care most about -- was very good! And after addressing the most bothersome aspect that impacted that -- the frets -- it became a good guitar.

Just saying that for a thousand bucks I'd like to get a bit more quality control and have to do a lot less work. This is my first MIM anything from Fender and I've been buying American Fenders for 20 years. Given my experience with this one it will certainly be my last.

Thoughts of sending it back instead of doing this work... sure... but given the problems I experienced I could foresee issues with probably any replacement I'd get and didn't want to end up with one that was barely even playable or had worse issues.

Bottom line though is that for me this is going to be a player and I'll forget about all this nonsense soon enough and enjoy it. And as always YMMV. Just wanted to share my own experience with this new series.

Beaubien66 likes this.
  19. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Somehow.. MIM Fender guitars are slowly entering US Made pricing. It's not far from the Performer Series in Price, but you'll never see those MIM flaws on an American Special or Performer. They must improve the Quality Control. Even Squier have a better QC... Otherwise, the Vintera Series is a great value. I had the Daphne Blue 50s Tele and returned it. The dealer shipped a Vintera 60s telecaster Modified in Lake Placid Blue in replacement. Looks awesome with the Pau ferro and the mint pickguard. The craftsmanship is way better, except for the setup which is poorly made. It's not a big deal though. The pickups on the 60s are well voiced IMO. Full and rich, well balanced. Fender says the pickups are hotter, but if they are it's very subtle... It's sound reminds me of my American Pro Tele with V Mods pickups. For sure, it will be a keeper after the setup.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.