Fender Vintera Neck Partly Unfinished?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cucurrucucu, Aug 9, 2019.

1. cucurrucucu

cucurrucucu TDPRI Member

Last week I finally bought my first tele: a Vintera 70s Tele Custom. I'm genuinely impressed. It plays and sounds like a guitar twice the price, but I just noticed that the heel of the neck is unfinished as per the photos below. Not sure if it can be seen very well in the photos but It's like they painted the top of the fretboard and the rest of the neck but forgot about the bottom bit, where you can see and feel the unfinished wood.

It's the first time I get a guitar with a maple neck or a MIM Fender, and I know these are supposed to be a bit lower quality than American models, but is this normal?

I'm a bit OCD and this guitar is still under warrantly so I could probably get it exchanged, but I know build quality variation can be an issue with MIM instruments and this is otherwise an amazing guitar for the price.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Don't know anything about that model of guitar but maybe they are using a very thin finish and the end grain has soaked it up and there is a bit of sand through
    nothing worth going through the bother of boxing it up and sending it back

howardlo and hemingway like this.
  3. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Looks unusual for sure,never seen a Fender neck unfinished there.......you could contact Fender UK's service team fendergbi@fender.com unlikely it will do any harm but it should be finished like the rest of the neck and wood absorbs most moisture via the endgrain...I kept my Vintera with the poor pickups because I could change them out but this I would return...

4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I returned a G&L bass for the same reason once and in hindsight I should have kept it.

irie likes this.
  5. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

If the guitar is a ‘good one’ in all other aspects, personally I would flag it with Fender Customer Service, and see how it gets on during the warranty period.

If needs be, I would imagine it to be an easy fix for them to seal the endgrain.

The Vintera is a new range, so should be going for sometime in the event a new neck or guitar was needed.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m going with the ‘end grain’ theory above. Very common especially in clear finishes. Here’s how to verify. Place a drop of water on the area, if it beads up and doesn’t soak in, its sealed. If it soaks in, let it dry and play it.

logans_tele and archetype like this.
  7. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If you otherwise like the guitar, keep it. You can always take the neck off and paint some finish on the end yourself.

8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

As far as I known top should be covered but bottom end of neck where last frets hangs on not necessarily

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Kind of difficult to give advice other than to say this: If it really bothers you, then I think you have a legitimate reason to return it.

On the other hand, I think a little amber stain and a clear coat would probably help it match fairly well, but that would also most likely void the warranted, which is certainly a consideration as well.

So it would seem that either living with it, attempting to fix it yourself or returning it appear to be your only reasonable options...

Good Luck!

`

10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Looks like it was sanded to fit the neck pocket, or maybe drips were sanded off. No big deal for me, but I don't buy Fender off the shelf guitars anymore. It's been like 30 years since I did.

irie, jtees4 and EsquireBoy like this.
  11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

That is exactly what I was thinking too. They also could have simply «forgotten » this part at the factory, since the necks are finished while hanging I think.
    I agree with others: if the guitar is a good one, keep it, it won’t cause any future issue. And if it really bothers you, take the neck off and apply a bit of finish yourself, it should be really easy. Just be sure to put only a very thin layer to prevent any fitting problems into the neck pocket.

howardlo likes this.
  12. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Please share the rest of the guitar with us. Betting it's real pretty.

13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Somebody would have to go out and look at the ones hanging on the walls in shops to answer that question. MIM Strat bodies started having no paint in the pickup and bridge routes a while ago.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I didn't pull up the specs of that model before answering, but I do know that some of them have a gloss fretboard and peghead face, while the rest of the neck finish is matte.

If it is not one of these, send it back. If so, this would be the third Vintera I've seen with quality issues. Two of them were in a Guitar Center; they had pickups with poor conections between the bobbin eyelets and the coil wires, thus had extremely low output.

On the plus side, the finishes I've seen look gorgeous, and the one P Bass I played was so nice and light.

But it appears to me that the side of the neck is gloss finished, in which case this is a major screw up, and it needs to go back, no question. Your retailer should have sent this back to Fender immediately upon inspection. That's the only way that manufacturing quality can be forced to improve. Retailers fixing problems, or customers dealing directly with Fender, won't do it. Fender needs their crap to be sent right back to them at their expense, before it ever ends up on the sales floor. They need to pay extremely apparent and immediate financial costs for their mistakes, or they won't ever fix anything.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have never looked there in any of the guitars I've owned. Or any guitar for that matter. Can't wait to get home at look at my guitars at the end of the fretboard. Not that it will make me feel any different about them.

16. cucurrucucu

cucurrucucu TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. So I contacted both Fender and the shop I bought it from. Fender told me to take it back to the shop and they'd be able to assist. The shop said they compared the photos I sent them with the necks on other Vintera guitars and they found that all of them are like that. I was a bit skeptical so I went to a couple of shops personally to check them out and it turns out indeed all the Vintera guitars I saw have the same issue.

However, I think that perhaps the end grain might be sealed but just not gloss finished. I just took the neck out to check and it looks like it might just be a matte finish (photos below - I'm sure unfinished maple is much lighter than that). But in my Telecaster it seems like the gloss finish permeated a bit over the end grain, making the contrast more noticeable when you see it like in the photos I uploaded in my first post. This contrast makes it seem like the non-gloss part is unfinished, but when you see the entire heel the contrast has less of an effect and you do notice that it actually is finished, just not gloss. I wonder why they wouldn't bother glossing the whole neck?! It's not like they'd save tons of time and money.

I'll try the water drop test after removing the neck when I have more time, but it seems like this won't be an issue after all. I will ask Fender to confirm though.

IMG_9422.JPG IMG_9424.JPG

17. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this before on some of mine over the years. Sounds like if it’s otherwise decent, keep it.

Clifton C likes this.
  18. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Do you play it much up there?

Aaron1061 likes this.
  19. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Could Fender have done a better finish on the neck? Yes.

Could you have bigger problems than this? Absolutely.

Enjoy playing it, seems like it’s a good guitar :)

20. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Looks like a false QC alarm. The pics with the neck removed look quite nice actually. Enjoy it!! And as others stated.... c'mon let's see the whole thing!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.