Fender Vintera 60s telecaster is here (PICS)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jonzer, Jul 13, 2019.

1. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice. Thank you.

2. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I've always wanted a Lake Placid Blue 60s telecaster. If only the neck was Rosewood. The guitar does feel really good to play.

3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I understand your displeasure with Pau Ferro. A few of the samples are nice, very smooth, dark, and can look like rosewood (I got a Classic Strat neck that way - I only bought it after I could visually examine it.). But most Pau Ferro boards are lighter and reddish, which isn't my cup o' tea, either.

I do think that Pau Ferro functions very well as a fret board material - if you can find one that you don't mind the looks of. Perhaps you can dye it or have it dyed?

Life is too short to "make do" if you can help it.

Necks are easily replaced. Find the one you want, and sell the Pau ferro, if that will bring you ultimate happiness with the guitar.

I buy nearly all of my Fenders as separate Fender bodies and Fender necks, that way I can put together the instruments exactly as I want them to be. It is not difficult to do that, should you ever decide you want to.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    kris ford, Telebeestar, rze99 and 2 others like this.
  4. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I'm going to leave it for now. Maybe in the future. I like the neck and I'm going to see how the Pau Ferro wears over time.

DHart and Fendereedo like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If they never let on I think most people would never have been the wiser.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

By the way, it’s harder and the grain is tighter so it might be slightly brighter in tone than Rosewood but if anything it’s going to wear better than Rosewood.

jonzer likes this.
  7. fuzzadict

fuzzadict TDPRI Member

Fwiw, 9.5 on the '60s telecaster actually, according to the Fender website.

MikeG74 likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The only thing 'wrong' with Pau Ferro, as a fretboard wood, is that a lot of folks just don't like how many of the neck samples look (reddish, light in color). Otherwise, it's a great fretboard material.

But not all Pau Ferro boards are reddish and light in color. This '60s Classic Player Strat fretboard is Pau Ferro. It is hard, very dense, very smooth (like ebony in that regard)... and looks like rosewood. No complaints with it whatsoever.

[​IMG]

So... there are some out there that have the look of rosewood.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Geo, jonzer, Mike Eskimo and 2 others like this.
  9. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I get the impression it will wear "better," as in show more wear over time. I'll post in update in about five years and let you know.

Clifton C likes this.
  10. Bob4FrenchFries

Bob4FrenchFries TDPRI Member

Consider starting with a lemon oil treatment to darken it up. Plus it's good for the fretboard. If you wind up getting some lemon oil elsewhere on the neck, your hands will absorb it in time. My unfinished fretboards get a lemon-oiling as part of every change of strings folliowing an optional 0000 steel wool scrub if degunking is called for.

Personally, I love the look of pau ferro, particularly when there are longitudinal streaks of warm color. They are like reddish highlights in a brunette's hair (and I'm not talking about the clown hair dye which is so popular these days).

The most important factor to me is that a fretboard not be lacquered. The only lacquered non-maple fretboard I have encountered is on my Rick 620. WTF, Rickenbacker?

Back to the thread, I have a seafoam green 60's modified Vintera Tele on order.

SuperExcitedDoggy.gif

I really enjoyed the Anderton's Vintera Tele overview if anyone hasn't checked that out yet.

Geo, jonzer and Fendereedo like this.
  11. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Personally, I love the look of pau ferro, particularly when there are longitudinal streaks of warm color. They are like reddish highlights in a brunette's hair (and I'm not talking about the clown hair dye which is so popular these days).

I'd go along with this,always liked rosewood with reddish/dark contrast....uniformly dark,tight grained and can look like formica!
    Welcome to the vintera squad!

jonzer and Fendereedo like this.
  12. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I am looking forward to your review and pics. Before mine arrived, I thought that if they mess up and send me the sea foam by mistake, I would just keep it. It's very pretty too. They've both very classic colors in my eyes.

The Pau Ferro isn't bothering me anymore. Maybe because I'm playing it so much. Really, I can't put the thing down. My other tele, which I still consider a better guitar, is goingto get jealous.

rob2 and DHart like this.
  13. Bob4FrenchFries

Bob4FrenchFries TDPRI Member

So I've had the Vintera '60s Modified Tele in Seafoam Blue (more on that later) for a few days now and I have to say that I am just blown away by the pickups and switching options. Way better than I had imagined - such clarity and articulation, and a real player to boot!

Not being much of a humbucker fan, I wasn't expecting much joy out of the series (4th, neckmost) switch position, but I was very pleasantly surprised by its possibilities. For me though, the regular Tele switch positions 2 and 3 are what I'll mostly use and they sound spectacular.

I didn't know what to expect physically from the S-1 switch — sort of thought it might be a push-pull — but I was pleasantly surprised to find a knob-mounted pushbutton! A great idea and I'll probably retrofit at least a couple of those to split-coil guitars I have, assuming there aren't bulky depth restrictions below deck. The "strangled" sound with the S-1 engaged was pretty much what I expected. I can imagine using it in intros to songs like Black by Pearl Jam or Wish You Were Here by... oh, what was that band again? Brits, moderately successful in the '70s... It'll come to me in a bit.

I never had a Tele or Tele copy with the raised-edge ashtray style bridge and 3-saddle design and I wasn't sure how I would take to that, but I have to admit that my right palm didn't even notice for the longest time. I remain a little skeptical about fine-tuning the intonation with that design but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Now about the color... Too blue for my tastes, too bright and too saturated. The picture above shows the Tele on top as depicted on Fender's product page. At bottom is the back of my same-model, same-color Tele. Now I know, lighting, color balance, blah-blah-blah... Well, I've held my guitar and it don't look green, that's all I can tell you. If I were naming it, it'd be Swimming Pool Liner. In other matters of looks, I really like the color of the maple neck, and although the pau ferro fingerboard isn't as orange-streaky as I would like — see my earlier reply on that subject — it looks real purty.

See also pics of my guitar in the attached zip file courtesy of Sweetwater. I'm glad I pre-ordered the sonofagun, because the price has since gone up $76, and blue or green or somewhere in-between, it's a keeper.

Attached Files:

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, that looks great. My Guild acoustic from the early ‘90s has a Pau Ferro fretboard. Looks lovely. But yes I’m one of those that must have dark rosewood or look like it with Fender classic colours.

15. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I don’t know if you know this but fender knobs with fit onto the S1 without having to replace the pot, I just put fender PV 52 knobs on my S1 switch.

Does that guitar have a satin finished neck?
    Looks that way in the picture.

Can you describe the necks shape and size, such as the thickness at 1st and 12th?

16. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I like your swimming pool liner blue. That's nice. I wouldn't complain about that at all. Congrats on your new tele. Your impressions are like mine. You weren't sure what to expect from those pickups and selections but now pleasantly surprised. I'm really like the 4th position. It's so articulate. And yeah, the songs you named are good examples of what the S1 can be used with.
    Thanks for the review and pics.

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just came from a shop that had one of these - a very fine telecaster IMO. i did not even notice that the fretboard was pao ferro. felt fine to me. best sounding and feeling tele I've played lately. now I've got to scheme up a thousand bucks, seriously.

18. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

That is really pretty...congratulations!!

19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yippee! I just brought home my very own vintera 60's telecaster - I've wanted a LPB tele for a long time. they make you automatically look like a rockstar. the pao ferro feels just fine to me. I could use a better understanding of the s-1 switch. I know that if I put the selector switch all the way forward and depress the button, I get both p-ups out of phase, which is a funky, honky sound. but it also affects some of the other positions.

20. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Congrats ! I have the same guitar. The 60s Vintera Tele Lake Placid Blue. You will love it. Pau Ferro is a great fingerboard wood. Especially with Lake Placid Blue body ! It's warm and show a lot wood grain. A good match. The only problem is on mine : intonation was kind of hell so I installed Glendale In tune Brass Saddles and 10-46 strings. Problem solved. Sound great, look great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.